The Bromance Gets Physical: Men more comfortable kissing friends

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Oct 30, 2010.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

With the blowup with people wanting GLBTs dead, that they are going to hell, and that they are the downfall of the world, I found this article today at the Age rather refreshing. There is some sanity and common sense in the world; it's just a shame that some are to blinding by their close-mindedness to see it. Good news is that they are slowly starting to become the minority. Anyway, enjoy the article, and discuss.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/lifematters/bromance-gets-physical-20101029-176ib.html

2. Queso macrumors G4

This may be new to Americans, but it's pretty common across the world. I suppose it's just another sign of how small mass air travel is making Planet Earth.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Definitely new to Americans, i can't help but wonder if it will ever become the norm here. Doesn't seem likely, i live in a more progressive area of the country and i haven't seen any man on man kissing here, unless it's a gay couple.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So would you, or would you not kiss a guy friend on the lips?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This is going to be one of those generational things that I fall on the other side of.

I'm not kissing my male friends on the lips.

It just ain't happening.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm sorry Orbs, was this a poll?? :p

8. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I travel all over Europe all the time, and I rarely see men kiss (well other than men that are together). I do believe its more cultural however than in North America however.

Who kisses friends on the lips also? ( either gender) Kiss on the cheek i can see or of course hugs.

I don't see it happening, but then again maybe its my age group :)

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah...... no. This sounds just like an attempt for bisexuals or homosexuals to stay in the closet even longer by claiming a kiss on the lips of the same sex if just friendly.

I dated a girl from Uruguay and it wasn't uncommon for her male family members to kiss me on the cheek when greeted but it was quick and barely made contact, just cultural.

A kiss on the lip and I would of laid one of them out.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is funny. In college, me and my straight friends would do this to offend people in bars.

Now, I have friends who want to make out with me in bars so they can pick up ladies. I'm not kidding. It works.

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'd rather go home and masturbate alone than kiss another guy in an attempt to pick up a lady at a bar.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

:D No, but it totally should be...

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I hope it doesn't become the norm in North America. The cultural thing in Europe and other places doesn't bother me so much as it is a quick cheek peck on both sides. That's their culture and it is not sensual in nature.

But start doing that here in America and folks are going to look at you weird.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What a very silly assertion.

How charming!

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah but thats half the fun of it!

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have no doubt that you go home alone quite a bit. Your hand must be quite muscular.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But anticipated.

Reflex actions seldom are.

Seriously, again betraying my age, I would be more likely to kiss the corpse of a dear friend on the lips at the viewing, as a show of love and respect, than kiss another male.

Sorry, but there you have it.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think it is probably an offshoot of increased urbanization, the viral nature of the internet (Sandbach Rugby Club anyone?) and probably most importantly, a reflection of the post WWII social democracies in Europe.

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

You should see my forearm.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

As I mentioned in my other post, I really believe that it's an urban thing, especially in the US. I truly doubt that it will play in Peoria and it will probably lead to even greater polarization in the US. Those in rural and conservative sub/exurban America will never understand it. Masculine friendships for them will never go past a handshake and their worlds will be poorer because of it.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The men in my family have kissed on the lips as far back as I can remember. Nothing wrong with it. Can't say I kiss any of my friends but some of us hug when we see each other.

Why so homophobic?

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Not homophobic in the slightest. Doesn't mean I have to partake in it to prove I have nothing against them. I just don't see kissing on the lips as friendly. The cheek kisses I received while dating that girl from SA was about as far as I could handle.

Kiss me on the lips with a set of balls and I'm going to break your nose.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why do you keep threatening violence?

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My world is rich indeed in Christ and I don't need to have kisses from men to enhance that. I believe it is a cultural thing and for me in this country it is not part of our culture. I believe men are meant to kiss women and not other men.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Jesus was reportedly into kissing men, so why not you?