The built in Andriod Navigation App is Fantastic, When Will Apple Match It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, May 11, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

I got to toy around with my friends Driod phone on the trip and I have to say, the Navigation app that comes built in for free with Andriod is absoultely mindblowing.

It's far better than any GPS system I've ever seen or used, including the $100+ TomTom App I have. You simply say where you want to go, you can be pretty generic saying something like Nearest Chinese Place, or The Columbus Expo Center, or you can say the specific address, it understands you perfectly every time.

It picks up the signal very quickly and it gives you complete Street View Pictures your whole trip, making it damn near impossible to get confused.

I'm curious when Apple with match Google with a built in GPS app of their own. This and the notification system were the only areas where it really feels like Apple has been left behind and I would love nothing more than for the next iPhone OS to match or beat Google in this area.

Also, I quite appreciated the nice large screen on the Driod phone with minimal wasted real estate on the front.

And yes, I know that the Driod is an outdated and really crappy phone compared to the newer Andriod Phones like the mindblowing amount of power and screen real estate on the Spring Evo 4G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24r6q4clez8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

But given all that these competitors are offering, I would love nothing more than for iPhone to upgrade the size of their screen, and minimize the amount of space wasted on the front of the phone as well...

I don't understand why the black bars above and below the screen on the iPhone need to be so large. The home button could be made smaller or slimmer. The speakers could be shifted upwards. And overall the screen could be bigger or have more real estate.

Google's Driod phone did a good job of maximizing the amount of space devoted to the screen size, the notification system and implementing a built in GPS. Where the Droid falls behind is in almost every other area (but not by much).

The front of the phone could made more akin to this...

[​IMG]

or this...

[​IMG]

It's not the thinness of these phone designs that is impressive, it's the manner in which the designs maximized the amount of screen space on the front of the phones.

In short, there seems to be little good reason why the iPhone screen couldn't have been made bigger/longer (or wider in landscape mode) for this upcoming hardware revision. The phone itself could've been made a mm or two wider if Apple wished to do this while keeping the screen proportions the same.

I was certain this would have been a key improvement made with the next hardware revision and a built in Navigation app would be a key improvement with iPhone OS4.

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs won't allow it because he decides what the consumer wants likes and needs. :rolleyes: The fan boys don't have a problem with this. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah the fan boys will say "wait for the release of the 4Gen iPhone" :rolleyes:

3. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Obviously, Mr. Jobs has a lot of say in what we get.

I'm just wondering when he will think that a built in navigation app is precisely what we should get.

4. tnisatard macrumors 6502

Don't we have a worse version in the app store that's like $50 !

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

There are plenty of navigation apps out there that are sufficient to do the job, and majority of the users don't use navigation apps frequent enough to warrant Apple to invest more resource.

6. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Screen size of the iPhone definitely needs to be 4.0 to 4.3 inches!

EVO 4.3 screen may make me jump ship.

I look forward to trying the Android navigation.

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Google maps/navigation has been updated numerous times for Android but when was the last time it was updated for iPhone? For iPhone it's still basically the same app as back in 2007.

Today they rolled out an update and this by far is the best Google Maps so far:

http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...rections-nav-shortcut-and-destination-sharing

[​IMG]

HA! So you are taking on Steve Jobs character and deciding as well what the consumer wants and needs as well? That sounds like the same BS Stevie boy would say. :rolleyes:

You're going to love it! It's so hard to believe that its FREE.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You mean all 85 million of them?

9. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, if the relationship with google didn't disintegrate this could have been on the iPhone. Or in steve's eyes if they never came out with android. As a big user of google services and apple products I wish that partnership would have lasted.

10. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

When do you think Apple will include a native GPS app into the phone, that functions well (using the voice recognition tech from Siri) so they can match what Google has to offer.

11. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs infinite wisdom is going to hurt Apple in the long run. Adobe jumped ship on Apple and the relationship with Google seems to be on the rocks. As insignificant as it is now, Google Maps was one of the apps that gave the iPhone that "wow" factor back in 2007. Google Navigation can be a big plus on the next iPhone but Steve Jobs egotistical bad mouthing of other developers/companies that can work in conjunction with Apple is going to hurt rather than help. Burning bridges but as Apple claims they can do everything better, not.

Lets see, copy and paste, MMS, video camera and long behold multi-tasking took 3 years to be implemented so..............

edit:also lets not forget Apples ridiculous app store approval process

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Copy and paste is far better on iPhones than on droids. We have MMS now. Video camera at least has proper audio encoding. Apple app store approval process hasn't affected me negatively. Multitasking is about equal.

I have a N1, and I hate it. I wanted to like it, but for ME, the comparison isn't even close. The iPhone wins by a landslide, inferior specs and all.

13. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

pssst! try copy and paste on a device with Sense UI and get back to us. While you're at it test both browsers side by side and if that's not enough test cameras on both devices. Let us know what you think.

BTW the Droid isn't the only Android device :rolleyes:

14. peperoni macrumors member

How do you think they could do it? Android navigation app is Google's property and I don't see Google giving it to anyone freely. If Apple would like to build/have some other nav app, they have to buy the maps first and that ain't cheap.

ATM the only free navigation comes with Symbian (and soon MeeGo) and Android. Symbian has the advantage that it's nav app is a proper one with maps that isn't limited in few countries and the selected maps can be downloaded to the phone (good if no unlimited data or while roaming). Anyway Google owns the maps of it's app and Nokia bought Navteq to have the maps.

15. Flacofromny macrumors newbie

Let's be honest

Lets be honest. What made the iPhone the iPhone is the apps. Now back to the topic.
    Next iPhone have to "wow" me. Any of ya saw the update coming to nexus one 2.2 aka froyo? Apple need to step up their freaking game. iPhone os 4.0 so far looks good but let's face it. Who here haven't even thinking about going Android? I lovemy iPhone but if apple don't come with a larger screen. Higher resolution. Faster diferent design I'm dumplings this crap and going android. The only thing apple has over android is the apps n now days android is getting so many good apps lately that I don't even know if apple has something really aganist them in that deparment. N I'm getting tired of the freaking iPhone ui. Is easy to use but it looks dead vs android or webos.
    And of corse apple please make ur own navigation or start dating google again so we could get that navigation system for FREE. PLEASE APPLE.

16. rkswat macrumors regular

Will all the people that are threatening to leave iPhone for some other device just shut up and do it already!!? I know a lot of people here are getting tired of seeing all the posts about it. IF you are that unhappy then by all means go to a different device. My freakin 4 year old doesn't even whine as much as some of you. Don't like iPhone or at&t there are many other options out there, pick one and go with it.

17. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Finally, the voice of reason... and from a recent signup no-less. :D

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Unless Google indirectly make a lot of money from the iPhone app (I doubt it), there's little incentive for them to keep it up to (or ahead of) the Android equivalent. And the increasingly heated relationship between the two companies isn't going to help any.

Apple could try bundling a Microsoft developed Bing app instead, which MS might be willing to do in order to take some mindshare from Google. Or they could even roll out their own.

As for the screen size, there obviously is a reason for the bezels, so people can grasp the device without covering (& smudging?) the screen. Smaller bezels look much better, and more screen space is nice, but there is a reason for it.

19. phrint macrumors 6502

Apple bought Placebase back in July of 09 which is a mapping company. I believe they are working on their own solution. I will say that Google's voice nav and mapping ap on the Droid blows the iPhone's away.

Off topic here but can we please just dedicate an entire section of the forum to Android? Jesus. All these threads popping up and taking over is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. I get it. There are Android fanboys on a Mac forum. Please go join your clan on an actual Android forum.

It seems like every single feature on a Droid, Incredible, and Nexus One has been discussed in hundreds of threads comparing them to an iPhone.

My wife owns a Droid and it's good at everything except for making actual phone calls. She is on her fourth device and still has a muffled voice. Her G1 was great but the Droid is ruining her Android experience.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Google announced a while ago that they are, in fact, making a free turn-by-turn navigation app for the iPhone. Of course they devoted more resources to getting the Android version out first, but we'll get it eventually. I also imagine that they might be waiting for 4.0's new APIs, which will make navigation apps much more effective on the iPhone.

21. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Hmmm. That would be pretty sweet. I guess like most things iPhone related it'll just be a wait and see.

22. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Before you ask, yes, I know that the Driod is an outdated and really crappy phone compared to the newer Andriod Phones like the mindblowing amount of power and screen real estate on the Spring Evo 4G...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24r6q4clez8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

That video just makes me drool every time.

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Apple should be working on free navigation instead of facebook

Almost all the competitors are offering free navigation.

IMO Apple should jump on that bandwagon too.

Free navigation with the ability to download maps and use them offline without the data.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why when google does it better?

I mean apple isn't about to jump into the map/satellite market and apple has shown that it doesn't desire to do everything its competitors are doing.

What advantage would providing a directions app would give apple over its competitors?

25. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why not just buy one of the awesome Nav apps already available? Too cheap?....