The bulk of Chris Christie is as well equipped for flying as thinking.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by joepunk, Jun 1, 2011.

1. joepunk, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

He's just like normal fiscally conservative people. He's got a son and he likes to see his son play a highschool baseball game. Some people drive, some walk, others at times fly to see their kid play a sports game. Chris Christie likes to do all except walk.

You can see a slideshow of Mr. Christie's wild ride on NJ.com.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd. All the austerity measures he's pushed through and the state takes delivery of a million dollar chopper during that time.

3. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

He forgot to mention he's only a fiscal conservative with his own money, not taxpayer's money.

4. 184550 Guest

Any information on when said helicopter was ordered?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Way to kill a lynching. :mad:

6. 184550 Guest

Sorry, I'll take my logic elsewhere. :(

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Real kicker is tax payers had to pay for all that.

Giving him the benefit of the doute the chopper there I can SLIGHTLY accept up until the car ride the 100ft. I am sorry but he should of just walked it instead of wasting tax payer money to bring the cars there from where ever they were stored. That is a short walk to see the game.

8. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

A 100 yards can be a bit of a trek when you're that overweight.

9. 184550 Guest

That's the only thing I'm trying to point out.

If the chopper was ordered and paid for before he became Governor, it's rather idiotic, IMO, to criticize him for using it.

I agree that the 100 yard car ride was embarrassingly inane.

I'd have to see his schedule for the day before criticizing him for taking it to baseball game.

From the looks of him, he might have had a heart attack trying to trek that far.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wasn't there a golf cart, or a fork-lift, available. :p

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

First of all, it was a police chopper, not a chopper bought specifically to fly the governor around. Second, even if it were, he has a choice whether to use it or not. If I were to own a hybrid car and a huge gas-guzzling pick up truck that I used for construction, it would be right to criticize me if I used the pick up to run errands. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it; gas and pilots cost money.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

13. 184550, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

184550 Guest

Hence why I also mentioned a little something about having to see his daily schedule.

Also, I thought that it was quite common for State Troopers to provide transportation/ security for sitting Governors? :confused:

EDIT:

Just went back to look for that bit about having to see his daily schedule. I see you cherry picked that single line from the same post.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Christie is a Republican pig. I can't believe he actually won the nj election, it was 51/49

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

$1800 was in '04. It's up to $2500/hr now.

If getting to his son's baseball game was official business I wouldn't have a problem with it. If he hasn't apparently vetoed dozens of State expenditures, some for less than $1000 (also known as a 25min helicopter ride) I wouldn't have a problem with it. If he wasn't calling for "shared sacrifice" as he turned the thumbscrews on spending by public employees I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Dude will talk the talk but he won't walk the walk.

Lethal

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

even with his daily schedule this was a personal event and should not be covered with state funds at all.

Plus taking a car a 100 yards that is a WTF.
    Are you really that fat and lazy that you can not walk a 100 yards.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This is Chris Christie we're talking about here...

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

One thing to remember here: we're talking about using a helicopter to see his son's high school baseball game.

This is a family matter, not one of the state.

Some people have to live with, "Sorry I missed the game son."

From bloomberg.com ...

Christie Taking $2,500 Helicopter Ride to Son’s Game May Cost Him Support

Governor Chris Christie’s image as a cost-cutter may have started cracking the moment he boarded a state police helicopter to get to his son’s high-school baseball game, leaving New Jersey with a $2,500 bill.

Christie, 48, joined the line-up of past governors whose personal use of state aircraft led to public outcry -- and in one case, an apology and reimbursement for the costs.

“It’s time to get rid of the helicopter,” said Michael Riccards, executive director of the Hall Institute of Public Policy, a Trenton-based nonpartisan group. “They all get into trouble with it.”

Christie took office in January 2010 pledging to bring fiscal restraint to a state with the fourth-highest public-debt burden in the U.S. at $3,940 per capita, according to a report from Moody’s Investors Service. For fiscal 2012, which starts in July, he has urged “shared sacrifice” under a $29.4 billion spending plan that Democrats say skimps on education and health.

The helicopter ride, plus a trooper-driven arrival at the ballfield with his wife, Mary Pat, before two varsity teams, fans and family, raised questions about the Republican governor’s judgment. Neither the game nor a later meeting he flew to was state business, said Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute in West Long Branch.

“He has been asking everyone else in the state to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and share in the sacrifice of all these budget cuts to education and so forth,” Murray said by telephone. “There were so many pieces to this that should have screamed out, ‘Don’t do it!’ It makes the governor seem that he’s tone deaf.”

tone deaf ... feed a ton

19. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

A better use of tax money would've been to tie him to the helicopter and make him run all the way to the field.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not only taking the helicopter to his kid's ballgame, he went to a fundraiser after that. So that's 2 trips on non-state business.

Can't believe that fat **** took a car for 100 yards. :rolleyes:

21. codymac macrumors 6502

Built 1988. Looks like it started service as a NJ-owned EMS vehicle in '88 with NJSP providing pilots.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't think so. He had no problem cancelling massive infrastructure projects that were ordered before he was elected (even when such cancelling cost the state a ton of money.)

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Should we allow any elected officials to use public resources to attend private events? The president uses air force one to attend campaign rallies that are not official duties and have been done so for decades. Sure we say security reasons but should it be allowed?

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You have a good point. Lost in these types of stories are the fact that the President or a Governor pretty much work every day and for long hours. Do we really want to deprive them their few human moments in the **** storms their jobs are? At least Christie attends his kid's ball games; I bet most politicians don't.

Still, I can't believe that fat **** took a car for 100 yards. :D

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

How do you think he got so fat :rolleyes:

Honestly why is anyone even surprised by this siht anymore? Republicans for the most part aren't "self made men" they're parents or grandparents or great great grandparents were.

Most Republicans want the government to keep their hands off the family fortune.

EDIT:

I doubt anyone would be making a fuss if it weren't for the "all government programs are evil" attitude that conservatives have. If your willing to cut heath care to little kids than you can ****ing walk to your kids ball game.