The Bully Pulpit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Nov 19, 2010.

1. leekohler, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don;t normally post links to Op/Ed columns, but this is more or less what I've been thinking lately and says it much better than I can. There are two more pages to this story. Read them if you can, they're really good and provide a lot of insight into this issue. It's informative, positive and provides some really good solutions.

http://www.advocate.com/Politics/Commentary/The_Bully_Pulpit/

EDIT- adding the last page:

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

From the opinion piece:

This statement makes it sound like all, or at least most, children of straight parents fall into one of these two groups, and I'm having a hard time accepting that as fact.

In reality I've known few people who were raised with a lesbian couple as parents. My wife had a child in her class years ago whose parents were a lesbian couple, and this couple tried to get her to change the characters' names in stores from male to all female, because that's how they raise their daughter. I'm certain that's not common - we recently attended a Halloween party at the home of one of my son's classmates, and her two "mummies" (as it was written in the invitation) couldn't have been more pleasant.

The message isn't necessarily a bad one, but generalizing people isn't a Good Thing.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course, and I agree- but is that all you took away from this? There's quite a bit of good in there too.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suspect the reason straight couples do worse is that having children isn't the default for lesbian couples, so those who do take it more seriously.

It probably means that it as good as makes no difference between straights and gays if you want children and take it seriously.

5. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

QFT. It probably has do to a lot with the social status as well (coming from a simple background is the problem for many kids' problems, I believe). It's a lot easier for well-educated homosexuals from the upper class to come out and maybe even adopt a child than it is for other people.