The Bullying Experiment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Dec 9, 2013.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I would have helped the guy cause it's on a college campus. But on the streets, I would be more cautious before jumping in cause you never know who has a gun.

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Isn't that unfortunate? I wish it was a near-impossibility someone had a gun, so I wouldn't be afraid to help in situations like that.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You never know who has a gun on campus either..

Brave experiment in either case.

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Very true. I don't really see the need for carry n conceal for the general public, nor do I see how the demand for guns is so high when it seems like criminals possess the majority of them.

I don't even acknowledge other people's road rage anymore, cause giving the wrong person the finger can get you shot.

5. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Very interesting video. Seriously, I would probably have backed away and called the cops immediately. I probably would not have confronted him directly because, as you say, you never know who has a gun. He could have shot me and claimed Stand Your Ground protection.

6. vega07 macrumors 65816

I think this is at my alma mater. Cool.

If I was alone, I would have called campus police for sure. If I was in a group of two or more, (I would like to think) I would have intervened.

I was bullied in high school for being gay, so empathy is easy to come by for me. It's harder for the rest to feel that impulse to act.

7. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Everyone feels empathy and most would respond (calling the police etc.), the question is are you willing to be violent?

8. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

That would be my worry.

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Silly 'experiment' to do. Bystander invention studies have a long history, and the people conducting the 'experiment' are lucky that actual violence didn't erupt.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

There are a few hundred million guns in this country and you think a majority of them are in the hands of criminals? :rolleyes: You live in the US right?

11. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Learn reading comprehension before using the rolls eyes face. Key word is "seems".

12. macmesser, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

macmesser macrumors 6502a

13. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I agree, it's not only guns that cause people to not react. But in today's society it's the first thing that comes to mind and stems from a much more common occurrence.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would never try to predict what I would do and I'm always skeptical of people who claim they'd intervene.

Putting oneself in the middle of a conflict is an invitation to become involved in the conflict. You don't know whether people are armed, on drugs, mentally ill, etc. I can't blame anybody from seeking to protect themselves and not getting directly involved.

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I have intervened twice before, one involved a child being chocked by a man for sitting on the hood of his car, and another involved a man robbing a middle aged women by knocking her to the ground and trying to remove a ring from her finger. I actually held that guy down until the cops came which was called by another witness.

There is no freaking way I can just stand by and watch any harm being done to a child or female. I didn't even think twice or have any concern about consequences of my own safety.

Now being that said ......... I know I probably would have reacted differently if the victim was a full grown man. I think as people, we just don't have that natural instinct as viewing a grown man as being vulnerable or helpless. And sometimes even try to rationalize it as "maybe the victim deserves it" cause we don't know the story. But we always have that natural instinct to defend a child or female without thinking twice.

16. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

The difference is that the ast majority of the guns in the hands of law abiding citizens stay home and aren't used in crime where criminals with guns is totally different.

I own many guns. More than several. Probably more than average. How many do I have on my person right now? None. They are all home and locked up in safes.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Bullying is a crime now?

Anyways, with the overly sensitive generation being raised right now, it's not surprising that people would rather just run away from the scene.