The Bush Legacy: Would we have been safe even without him?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

It seems the real "gold star" that the Bush administration is pointing to that defines his "legacy," at least for very short-sighted view we currently have - is the fact that we had no follow-up attack on US soil following 9/11. I suppose one could argue that the economic meltdown of the past several months is an important part of his legacy, but because terrorism and that one attack took up so much of both terms in office, I'll put the focus on that.

So do you think we were safe all these years because of Bush, or despite him?

How would things have been different with McCain in office, or Gore, or Kerry for the second term? Would they have been different, at all?

2. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Gore wouldve been too busy complaining about Global Warming to care.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I also own a rock that keeps tigers away, do you see any tigers? Good, it works great.....

4. pooky macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I would like to buy your rock...

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

;)

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

What about the anthrax attacks?

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Well, I'm not great fan of Bush, but even I'll admit he was more effective than a rock...

Clearly there were plans foiled at some point. How serious and/or advanced those plans were we'll never know (or at least not know for some time). But what we do know is there were attacks elsewhere in the world, some directly tied to American interests, and there has yet to be another on our own soil.

I've got to grudgingly give him a few points for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was just an anthrax "scare?"

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Let's remember, 9/11 occurred over 7 months after George Bush took office. He certainly didn't do much to prevent that attack, did he?

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well you can, but I wont. Mainly because there have been other terrorist attacks on our soil. Unless you mean from the middle east, which would just make you picky. Then again, alot of this country still has the mindset that "real" terrorism only comes from the middle east.

10. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

No, but regardless of how little or how much his administration had to go one, I'm sure if you were to ask Mr. Bush he'd say that was his single greatest regret.

And really, 7 months is not a lot of time when you're talking about a presidential term...

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

12. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Again, I'm not really trying to make a point about how effective Bush and his administration were in preventing or allowing attacks while in office. If you look at my first post, I'm asking how different it would have been with someone else in the same position.

13. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If I were really a Bush apologist, I wouldn't waste my time on the MacRumors PRSI forum, if only to keep my blood pressure down...

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

7 months is 15% of a 4-year term. I consider that significant.

That's a question with no answer; none of us will ever know.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

;) Just trying to prove a point about something. Apply my baseless post to apple and you have the rationality of alot of members here.

16. TK B$K macrumors 6502

You know ive always wondered that same question.

Ive never liked Bush (or the president:D) but its just hard to see through all the poverty, unemployment, economic meltdown to actually try to look back to see what Kerry or someone else could do. I think we got jipped, the candidates were all d-bags (dont flame :() in the past and we really didnt have a choice. We were stuck in a bad situation and were giving stupid canidates... i rember voting day and hearing this middle aged wealthy man chuckle and state "wow its like voting to get AIDS or Cancer". And damn was he right..

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It was so scary 5 people died. It was a terrorist attack no matter how you look at it.

18. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

You wouldn't be saying that if a dozen tigers were trying to claw their way through your front door.

Especially considering that your father was killed by such a tiger eight years ago.

Granted, you were trying to be funny, but jokes don't bring back a few thousand people, do they?

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Neither does arbitrarily invading middle eastern countries. Quite the opposite in fact.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Managed to start a war with Iraq that cost us a trillion dollars, 4,000 dead Americans and 100,000 dead iraqi's. Yeah he kept us safe allright:rolleyes: Destroyed any goodwill the U.S. had and now is spinning his rear off. Thats just a tidbit of things he did. There is so much more he can be proud of.

Bin Laden.

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'm sure he would have found time to invite Osama over to the White House for some tea and cookies, give him a hug, and talk about his feelings.

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So he would have found him?

24. TK B$K macrumors 6502

BUSH :)

25. Luftwaffles macrumors regular

Arbitrarily? Arbitrary as in invading Taliban-controlled Afghanistan? Arbitrary as in searching for Osama bin Laden in Iraq, another very prominent Taliban hiding place, and having to depose a dictator convicted of war crimes by the UN?

Does Resolution 1441 ring a bell?