The Canada Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LordVic, Aug 1, 2019.

1. LordVic, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

LordVic macrumors 603

I know we tend to focus a lot on US politics. This is a given sort of considering the populace here. While I don't expect this thread to be heavily trafficked, I would like to have it as a place for us to talk about the current events of Canadian politics and policies. IN addition, provide a place for our friends from other countries to ask us questions regarding our country, policies and directions.

For those who aren't aware of some details about Canada. Here are some facts. (sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada)

Population: 35,151,728 (2015 Census data, estimated to currently be at 37m)

GDP: 1.930 Trillion (52k per capita)

System of Measurement: Almost entirely Metric.

Government Type: Constitutional Democracy with a Parliamentary system based on the UK's parliament. Canadian politics tends to be "centrist" in nature, with an emphasis on Social Justice, peace, order and good government, with a focus on adherence to a bill of rights. While there is typically only two parties at the federal level to have held power (Liberals and versions of Conservative Party), balance of power can often be held be held by 3rd and 4th parties as there is no limit to how many political parties are allowed. Currently, the main parties that have representatives in Parliament. Liberal, Conservative, New Democratic Party, Green Party. With the new People's Party of Canada forming as a more libertarian offshoot of the Conservatives vying for their first ever seat.

Independance: Canada is a member of the British Commonwealth. While the figurehead of the country is still
    the Queen, Canada gained it's indedependance from british rule in 1867 via the Constitution act.

Language: Canada has two official languages. English (Majority language) and French (regionally)

economy: Heavily mixed economies. Huge country with vast natural resources have put a reliance on gas/oil, wood and pulp, gold, plastics, farming and manufactaring. Canada also has a massive services based industry.

Some fun Facts: Canada is the 2nd largest country by land mass. 2nd to Russia. Canada and the US border is the largest undefended border in the world, sharing easy access to both US and Canadian's to travel back and forth, often with as little as a passport.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To start of active conversation. This week, Canada's CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commision) has implemented a series of rules that service providers must adhere to operate within the country

This new regulations, will focus on clear and concise language of contracts and hold service providers accountable.

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-tele...o-offer-new-customer-rights-to-canadians.html

-------------------

More "overall" discuussion as well. 2019 is a federal election year. On October 21st, Canadian's will return to the polls to help determine which party will receive mandate for the next (up to) 5 years.

2. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Seems reasonable. Would it address privacy too?

OH, Ca-nada..... (that's all we know of your anthem down here, sorry) ;)

3. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I've not kept up much with federal in a few years, but from the little i've seen there doesn't seem to be much hope of getting something better than trudeau. I definitely wouldn't want to return to a conservative government though

4. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

We already have a serious of legislations regarding privacy that predates this. Came out in the early 00's that directly addresses privacy and information. the legislation has extreme teeth that can result in the banning of business, or even the criminal prosecution of those who violate it.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-t...otection-and-electronic-documents-act-pipeda/

on this site you can see the full legislation, it's enforcement, and the history of complaints, and resolutions.

5. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

It would be nice to have that here.

6. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

I'm not as much a Trudeau hater. He's got good, and he's got bad. Personality wise, he does come accross as "fake". But I overall agree with his ideology, if the messaging often gets muddied.

There are others in the Liberal party who I think may be better leaders overall. But Trudeau has put a good team around him and has ran the Liberals in a fairly Centrist way. When I consider the alternatives available right now, and the parties surrounding them, My vote will likely stay in the Liberal camp unless one of theother candidates impress me with their platforms.

7. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I don't know if i'm a trudeau hater as much as not liking the fact that he's so fake (or looks fake).

I also don't believe he actually believes in all he brings forward. He just gets behind what seems to be popular and I think it's a little scary to have a leader who follows the whims of social media, if you will.

8. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

I don't necessarily disagree either. But from the party platforms, the current platform of the Liberal's appeals most to me, in spite of the leader. Plus there's been good evidence of some strong ministers in his cabinet.

Economy has done well. Unemployment is down. full time employment is up. Poverty levels are at an all time low. in addition, Cannabis legalization.

However, I am upset about the cop out on electoral reform. if NDP or Green run on Electoral reform, i'd give them a good hard look. I don't think Singh is PM material. He's Milquetoast, similar to Scheer. May seems good, possible PM qualities. But Green has a few... Wackadoos that makes it somewhat questioanble of a party

9. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I can't really disagree with this (except for May, holding up the house of commons over a fart in the wind is unacceptable :D ) and although I agree in theory with cannabis legalization, I am not really liking being unable to go anywhere without being assaulted by the smell of pot :/

10. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

Today's pOlitical news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pot-pardon-application-system-1.5233103

Canada unveiled today that anyone with a minor possession infraction of Cannabis on their criminal record can now request, free of charge and immediate pardon for those criminal records.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2019 ---
    As a cannabis user (regular) I can understand. to me it's like cigarettes as well. it's got smell that not everyone is going to like.

Even though it's legal, I restrict my use to minimize the impact on others. I don't walk around smoking joints. if i'm going to go out in public, I will vape instead. or find a out of the way corner. I try and be mindful of those around us.

the problem is, we're talking about "smell". everyone is going to be different and it's hard to enforce regulations just because one doesn't like smell. Should we regulate that nobody can cook food that smells? I smell my neighbours food down the street from me. Do we regulate fertalizing of farms because it makes the area smell of manure? etc.

I think the important thing Cannabis smokers NEED to remember is that they / we share the same air with everyone else and need to respect others as best possible

----

I just also realized, that we're probably not going to have that much acitivity in this thread. SO I will try keeping it alive as "The" thread for canadian politics. We won't generate nearly as much attention purely cause we tend to still be far less divisive and civil in our political discourse and opt for communication and compromise.

11. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

I’m embarrassed to admit I know little of Canadian politics, but I visited there often when I was flying.

12. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

Well, Bienvenue, have a seat on the chesterfield. Have a Timmie's and enjoy some poutine and butter tarts while you visit.

And ask away anything you've always wanted to know about your friendly neighbours to the north.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Who's the greatest hockey player of all time?

14. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I'm annoyed by the smell but I wouldn't dream of proposing regulations or anything of the sort. The current 9 meters from all entries is, I believe, quite enough. I used to be a smoker (cigarettes, hash when I was younger) and I would hate to be one of these ex-smokers who bother everyone around them just because they stopped.

Thanks for the thread and the efforts to keep it alive by the way :)

15. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

My favorite city was Vancouver, the most valuable property in the country due to its relatively mild climate I imagine. I visited Winnipeg, Calgary, and Toronto often. Winnipeg was nice in the summer. During this time I mostly lived in Minnesota, so it was not that radical a change in climate to visit. :)

16. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

Wayne Gretzky.

Interesting Wayne Gretzky Facts:

The Gretzky Family is the #1 family in the NHL having scored the overall most goals and most points. They combine for a total of 2,861 points.
    4 for Brent. 2,857 for Wayne

If Wayne Gretzky were to have every single game counted from the point of his retirement in 1999 until today. He would still average more than 1 point per game.

Gretzky won 8 straight scoring titles. Unheard of since. Some years, he finished as far as 70 points ahead of the 2nd place scorer.

No other players combined points totals equals how many assists Gretzky had.

Gretzky has the record for scoring 50 goals in 39 games. the 39th game was a 5 goal game for gretzky.

Gretzky scored an all time, unmatched high of 92 goals in a single season. HE still holds about 60 Professional hockey records.

17. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Canada would be the greatest country in the world if its citizens didn't muddle their minds with so many hockey facts.

:D

18. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

PSH, we're the greatest country in the world BECAUSE we muddle our minds with so many hockey facts.

that and the off season is way way way way to long (I miss playing)

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I beg to differ but I figured you'd go with #99. ;)

20. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

There are other absolutely amazing players. and one or two who skillwize might have given him a run for his money... IF they stayed healthy or remained in the league. I Think Mario Lemieux was the next closest. in his prime he was scoring as much as Gretzky and even beat gretzky in a few of those amazing seasons.

I think he was a better overall athlete. he had the size that Gretzky didn't have, but the same skillset. unfortunately, back issues and cancer ended his career before he could ever match the numbers Gretzky put up.

Similar might be said as well for Bobby Orr. To think that Orr never played a season past 26 years old due to knee injuries. if he played with today's medical capabilities, he'd never have the knee problems that ended his career.

other than those two, I can't think fo any other player who has such prolific talents as those 3. But I have to give the overall decision to Gretzky purely on the fact that he did all of the numbers he did and managed a 20+ year career doing it.

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I agree on #66

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The chesterfield? The one from Life, the Universe and Everything? Not sure I trust that thing.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Taking a taxi to Roxham Road... seriously, illegals jumping the line as asylum seekers from the USA?

Roxham Road is a National Security Disaster.

24. LordVic thread starter macrumors 603

Today's Hot Topic news from the land of of the North: Today's actually fairly quiet so far. not waking up to any real pressing hot topic news.

• Search for the two murder suspects in Northern Saskatchewan is ramping down as no leads are presenting themselves.
    • Conservative and Liberal parties are ramping up their campaign promises, despite official campaign season not being underway.
    • Serial Killer, Wetlaufer back in the news as the inquiry result as to why she was able to kill so many elderly came back as "we didn't think anyone would do this, so protections were never in place".
    • Debate over topless dancing during this weekend's Toronto Caribbean festival fizzles as most Canadian's don't see it as a real issue.
    • Minister of International Relations reaches out to China to try and negotiate release of detained Canadians in China.
    • The new Pardon system for pot possession goes live

As for upcoming election: Current polling figures show a trend of Liberal support increasing with Conservative support decreasing. Green now poll ahead of the NDP for the first time in history. PPC, the new libertarian party still unable to crack 4% support. Seat projections based on current polling would likely show a minority Liberal government with the Conservatives only a small seat count behind. The Ballance of power would ultimately be weilded in this situation by NDP or Green Party.

25. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Don't feel bad, all I remember of your anthem is something about "Rockets and Bombs":(