The CBO score is in ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, May 24, 2017.

1. citizenzen, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

And just as expected, Republicans will kick people off health insurance ...
    And, as a bonus ...
    Can I get a slow clap for Republicans? Well done, lads.

[​IMG]

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

Who the hell cares? Where is my Tax Cuts!!,

-Koch Brothers

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The only thing so far that I have to comment on about this post is...

.. I wish that Orson Welles could have done this as Unicron. Then it would have been truly evil.

BL.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Premiums went way up with Obamacare as well. What's the story here? Altering the system gives companies the excuse needed to make more money.

6. Populism, May 24, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

When Obamacare imploded within a year or two, how many people would've lost insurance then?

Oh. That's right.

Obamacare was sustainable.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't think it was sustainable.

8. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Just check the box on the form that says you are a fetus and the Republican plan will have you fully covered under any and all circumstances.

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

[​IMG]

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

People still had insurance. They would be dropped with this, then charged more to try to get it, and since dropped, pre-existing condition clause would come back into play, preventing them from getting insurance at all.

But go on believing that the ACA is just "too expensive", when this actually would cost more, and cost more over the duration of the plan.

BL.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Color me skeptical. The CBO either gets close or not close.
    Need another neutral group to come up with similar ... or not.

House version or Senate version?

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The country has been eating lobster on a hamburger budget for decades. Now we need to eat cup noodles while we pay off the debt.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

"These increased costs for employers and employees alike may seem steep—up around 50% over the past eight years—but they could have risen far higher had the Affordable Care Act never passed. The Kaiser study shows that average family premiums rose 20% from 2011 to 2016. That rate of increase is actually much lower than the previous five years (up 31% from 2006 to 2011) and the five years before that (up 63% from 2001 to 2006)."

15. samcraig macrumors P6

That's reality. However Trump's base seems to think that they will be living high on the hog now that their choice was elected. It's going to be quite a wake up call given Trump's budget. Do you disagree?

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Right. No problem unless the woman who's carrying you to term is a teenager with a 4.0 grade point average wanting to graduate from her Christian high school along with the rest of her class...

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

LOL. Thank God Obama arrived just in time to save everything. Healthcare COULD have risen more. The auto industry COULD have exploded. The housing market COULD have been much worse. Sea levels COULD have risen and flooded the east coast.

Every defense of Obama is a hypothetical, unprovable "near miss". The clown destroyed everything he touched.

18. Populism, May 24, 2017

Populism

It wasn't. Not in the slightest. I was being sarcastic in my above post.

Idiot Trump and Republicans should have simply done nothing.

The Unaffordable Care Act would have repealed itself within a year or two.

And when it did, all these liberals/democrats/progressives crying crocodile tears for those who lose insurance coverage would've gone silent in the abject failure of Obamacare.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Do you really think to know enough Trump supporters to make this blanket statement?

I think we need a wake up call. Virtually all of us. I heard an ad on the radio today from MY bank encouraging people to take a second mortgage on their house to go on a vacation. A VACATION!!!!! How irresponsible do you have to be to take a loan to go have fun for a week or two?!! I was shocked. I'm closing my accounts with them tomorrow after 15 years.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

And go where? Pretty much every bank has commercials like that. I don't need to know enough of Trump's supporters to make that statement given the fact that the budget is a hot mess and will rip funding away from many programs everyone uses. Especially in the heartland. You know - all those red areas Trump likes to show off as winning the electoral college.

You also didn't say whether or not you agreed. Noted.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Politically speaking, this would have been the "smart" thing to do. There is no "fixing" medical insurance post-Obamacare. You can't un-ring the bell if it involves uninsuring the millions that became insured under the ACA. Which is why this bill will be gutted in the Senate.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

23. Populism, May 24, 2017

Populism

I realize that this thread went dead when the specter of Obamacare-sustainability was raised.

That said, I'm earnestly looking for CBO analysis of Obamacare. If anyone has come across it, I'm interested.In other words, Obama care was with us for the long-haul, right?

As in, according to the Virginal Snow CBO, Obamacare (1) was sustainable, and (2) would have not un-insured anyone.

I mean, surely the Virginal Snow CBO did an analysis on the Unaffordable Care Act, its sustainability and allz.

Rightz?

In other words, Obama care was with us for the long-haul, right?

I mean surely, liberals/democrats/progressives didn't sell America an unsustainable bag of ********. Right?

24. chown33, May 24, 2017

chown33 macrumors 604

It doesn't seem that hard to find.

I selected the phrase in your post I've hilited in red. I then choose "Search with Google", and these were items 2 & 3 in the first page of results:
    https://www.cbo.gov/topics/health-care/affordable-care-act
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ate-were-cbos-obamacare-predictions/99157846/

On the actual CBO page (1st link above), I clicked the tab labeled "Latest", which will (paradoxically) show you many more options than just the latest reports. I then chose "Cost Estimates" (which I cleverly deduced as the most recent CBO posting about AHCA is labeled "Cost Estimate"), and then paged through until I got to "Page 4" which lists this from Dec 2009:
    https://www.cbo.gov/publication/41877

I didn't find any CBO reports older than that, but I didn't look very hard.

There are definitely CBO cost estimates newer than 2009. You may find what you want in one of them.

The USAToday article uses 2012 cost estimates, if you want to verify its claims.