The Charity Fridge?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, May 10, 2014.

1. Michael Goff, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/08/saudi-man-poor-charity-fridge_n_5290533.html

2. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Unfortunately, if we tried this in the USA someone would get some spoiled meat from the fridge, sue the owner of the property. The lawyers would get all the money but the fridge would be gone.

At the end of Governor Jim Florio's term in New Jersey, there was a huge overpopulation of deer. This was causing an alarming number of vehicles striking deer with some of them being fatal. The military from Ft Dix and Ft Mammoth got to help out with a little deer hunting.

Funny thing is the venison could not be given away by law! Venison isn't an inspected meat so it couldn't be served or given away. Only eaten by those that hunted it. Go figure.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's a terrible idea! Someone could abuse it, and take more than their fair share of free food! Pretty soon, you'd have people living exclusively off this fridge, refusing to get a job because...hell, why work when someone is just giving you food, and become a drain on society! And who pays for the electricity to power it? Who buys the fridge itself? What about the property it sets on? Do we put one on every street corner? Do you know how expensive that'll be? I don't want my hard earned dollars being siphoned out of my weekly check just so some moocher can eat a sandwich he didn't pay for!

The fridge will become a problem! We need to stop the fridge before it has a chance to destroy us all!

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Are you a speech writer for the GOP by any chance.:p

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's none of your damn business! Quit probing into my personal affairs! Why are you asking me this? I have the right to do as I please without being questioned! Am I being detained? AM I BEING DETAINED!

...no, I'm more a libertarian.

6. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

If this happened in America.

The person who installed the fridge should be tried for treason, and rightfully show.

A community turning out to help those in need is communism

[​IMG]

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I vote that we require drug checks before allowing access to the fridges. Two techs, one cup. Complete surveillance of the process. The testing itself should be handled offsite to assure complete neutrality of the process. The last thing we need are a bunch of hopped up jobless druggies trading their free government sandwiches for marihuana cigarettes and roofies.

...what's that? Drug checks would cost taxpayers millions to implement?

THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN! THESE FRIDGES ARE DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY! WHY CAN'T THESE PEOPLE JUST GET A JOB?

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I drove by my local fridge the other day, and I saw some homeless charity moocher eating a lobster on the sidewalk.

THESE PEOPLE EAT BETTER THAN ME, AND I PAY FOR MY FOOD! WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR HIS LOBSTER? I DON'T EAT LOBSTER!

...I double post cuz I'm just so indignant right now.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Sounds like the "Domino Theory" well just nuke them, till they glow.:p

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

If you actively complain about how broken the system is while doing everything in your power to sabotage it, eventually you'll get to tell everyone "I told you so", then use it to get more votes.

American Politics 101, people.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

shameful isn't it

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

13. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

They need to sign away their vote and be drug tested, and have " are you poor enough " inspectors to visit their homes daily. Make sure they didn't sneak a 1 dollar can of beer.

14. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

15. localoid, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

What law is that? A state law?

Maybe you should have your government people call my government people. I'm pretty sure they'd share their "secrets" for success with other states...

Here in West Virginia, the Hunters Helping the Hungry (HHH) programs provides thousands of pounds of venison to needy West Virginians each year. From the first day of any deer season until December 31, hunters who legally harvest a deer and wish to donate the meat to HHH, can deliver the deer to the nearest participating meat processor. Since 1992, HHH has provided venison for more than 1.1 million meals to needy West Virginians.

Other states do this (HHH) as well...

16. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

This was in 1994. At that time, you could only serve meat that was USDA inspected. The meat didn't go to waste, the US Army had a great cookout. I heard some servicemen filled their freezers. I may or may not have eaten some of this.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I can neither confirm nor deny partaking of any alleged hamburger.

18. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Hmmm... The HHH has been going on in W.Va. since 1992. New Jersey now has a HHH program.

There's a page about USDA inspection of venison (and other game) here.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Horrible idea. Refrigerators on the street would be eye sores. Next thing you know, the moochers will drag the couches they sit around in all day onto the streets and set them up next to the refrigerators. WHere will it end?

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

We don't have any "community refrigerators" here (that I know of), but we do have a state-wide food bank system that coordinates the collection and distribution of non-perishable food items on a regular basis. But this isn't a "unique local effort" -- it's a common practice throughout the U.S.

Here there's around 10-12 locations, called food pantries, in the tiny town I live in (pop. 1600) where anyone can drop food items off. Most are churches, but often there are businesses that will accept non-perishables. Once or twice a month, the items are transported to one central location in town, then sometime afterwards a truck from the county food pantry comes by, picks the items up and transports them a regional location (usually in the same county) from which the food is distributed to food kitchens, senior centers, and to individuals.

When I was in better health I'd do volunteer work with this effort. "Work" usually consisted of spending maybe an hour a month, going to a party where I'd help other folks check the expiration dates, put the stuff that wasn't out of date into boxes, then carry boxes out of a church basement to the trucks that were handling pickup.

Area businesses will often accept canned goods, offering patrons X=percent off certain purchases for anyone who will donate canned food items. I organized several music concerts that accepted canned food items in lieu of charging admission.

The only "discouraging" comments I ever heard regarding this effort was an occasional comment from a random person who'd say something like "I'm sure glad we don't have to let those people come to our church to pick up food, 'cause they'd probably use the opportunity to steal our silverware."

The Feeding American website has a food bank locator page, which has links to food banks in your area, that has basic info about how much food is collected/distributed in your area annually, along with contact info if anyone's interested in volunteering or donating. Annually the effort
    gives about three billion pounds of food and grocery products to needy families in the U.S.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Yep, the town I am based in does that to, my hometown did to. Lots of towns make the effort.

As a business owner who doesn't have a " consumer " area for people to drop off stuff, I have a deal with the 8 local schools, I will match donations that those schools collect in canned and non perishable goods.

Its a great program that all the local business's, schools, churches, and local goverment is involved in. Im glad to help out to. Whenever the numbers come in, I just make a bulk order of non perishables to Sysco foods, last year it was around 85,000. More than happy to do it with my business. It keeps people who are hurting fed.

Its an amazing program, and I think everyone needs to contribute to it if they can afford it.

If someone can afford it, and does not put a dime into it, or a couple of cans of food. They are bad people in my book, and I do not respect them.

22. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

We have food banks in the UK to. A friend of mine has been running one for nearly 10 years out of her local church. We donate when we remember.

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

That's great! I'm sure the people in your area greatly appreciate your efforts and contribution.

None of us live in a vacuum. When I donate or contribute, it helps me in the long run because it helps the community I live in, and in turn helps me. Anything that helps the community, usually will end up helping keep my property values from declining and so on... Even if you live in a gated community it helps if you can keep the area just outside your "gate" from turning into a 3rd world region.

Most families end up with at least some excess food stuff, that they could donate, that someone would appreciate. I found that the average Jane/Joe will contribute if they aware of program, so getting the word out is usually all it takes to get results in a given area. SNAP cuts have made it difficult for many, so these sorts of projects are more becoming more and more important.

24. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

The LDS church has a program called The Bishop's Pantry. They give a person a week's groceries. They do generally ask for some kind of help with a chore but it isn't required.