The Cheapest Ram Retailers In The UK! UPDATE (12/04/08)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Dec 9, 2007.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

EDIT: Since I have been searching for a while now I have decided to compile a list of the cheapest in the UK! Hope this helps everyone else searching! I will be using 2GB of Macbook Pro RAM (667MHz 200 pin DDR2 SODIMM (PC2-5300)) as the benchmark price for each site!

EDIT 2: Please remember that not all of these cheap options are proven to work on the MacBook Pro (although technically they should!) Preceed with caution!

EDIT 3: Some tips from CanadaRAM
    EDIT 4: A useful pointer by Tiredhorses
    EDIT 5: Please be vary that just because it is the highest on the list doesn't mean it is the cheapest including other things such as postage to your area and a possible discount if you buy more than one etc...
    break
    EDIT 6: RedTomato also makes a very good point that you should:
    break
    1. 7 Day Shop has 2GB at £17.99!!! including VAT!
      Other:
      The quality of this RAM has yet to be verified and this should be considered before purchase but Macrumors member Logana speaks highly of them! There is no excuse to not buy and with only £3.95 delivery this is now by far the cheapest option!
      break
    2. Chill Blast Express has the 2GB Module for £27.01 including VAT
      Other:
      Price update at 26/03/08:
      A drop down to £27.01 clinching Chilli Blast 2nd Place!
      Looks like chilli blast has lost its top spot!
      break
    3. Crucial has the macbook pro 2GB RAM for £28.19 including VAT
      Other:
      Price Update (12/03/08):
      These single 2GB chips have dropped in price
      As of 12/04/08 the 4GB kit has dropped to £56.39 for matched pairs (better deal all in all) and it offers free postage!
      break
    4. Play has what we are all looking for, for £31.99 including VAT!
      Other:
      A good find by Weckart
      The price has dropped by a pound to £32.99 as of 26/03/08!
      break
    5. KRCS has a 2GB module listed at £34.00 including VAT!
      Other:
      Price update (28/01/08):
      A Lower price down to £34.00 including VAT!
      As of Posting in stock! (for once)
      break
    6. Orca Logic have 2GB priced at £35.23 including VAT
      Other:
      Price Update (28/01/08):
      A £10 price drop!
      Although having a very weirdly old fashioned-ly designed website I eventually found my way round to this memory, and they have FREE STANDARD DELIVERY! Padaung gives them positive feedback after buying two 2GB modules for £91 with their free delivery!
      break
    7. MacUpgrades which have things like 2GB RAM (Macbook Pro) for only £41.91 including VAT!
      Other:
      Price Update (28/01/08):
      Following the other retailers with a price drop
      They do not offer kits, 2GB modules must simply be bought twice to get 4GB
      break
    8. AE Memory are selling a 2GB Module for £44.98 including VAT
      Other:
      Price Update (28/01/08):
      Down a few pounds to £44.98
      Free 2-3 Day Standard Delivery!
      break

These retailers may either fluctuate in price or not sell the Benchmark item but are still well worth looking at:
      break
    9. Scan UK has a 2x1GB modules (in the same pack) for £35.25 Including VAT
      Other:
      Like most of the others carries a lifetime warranty!
      break
    10. Overclockers UK offer 2x1GB Ram for £29.36 including VAT
      Other:
      Although they do not singly offer the 2GB module they do sell a 4GB Kit in the form of 2x2GB for only £76.36 which is an astonishing price for something like this!
      break
    11. eBay has 2GB memory modules starting from £22.00
      Other:
      eBay can some times definitely not be trusted and also the memory might not be brand new, probably safer to buy from a reputable retailer!

Just wondering if anyone knew anywhere cheaper?

Thanks

2. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Super-quick delivery, too.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

yeh sorry youll see Ive updated my thread in a list form of cheapest first...

I forgot to add crucial at the beginning! ha

Thanks anyway!

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

Stormfront

In Devon and Cornwall, UK. Stormfront are currentlly doing 2GB sticksof Kingston RAM for the Mac Pro for £65 pound or £77 if you ask them to fit it for you.

This is why I want to know what RAM is in the new Mac Pro, all of there other RAM upgrades are also dirt cheap at the minute.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

hmm at the moment Im looking for internet solutions, although the UK is fairly small Cornwall is still a fair drive from my wiltshire abode! Ha

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Komplett's price includes VAT.

Scan.co.uk also have 2GB (2x1GB )for £35. Scan also tend to be the cheapest online retailer in the UK.

Both come to around £42 with shipping though.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Crucial are doing 2GB kits (2 x 1GBs) for about £32 at the moment.
    As are ebuyer.

8. 119576 Guest

That's 240-pin.

It won't fit in your MBP.

You also want SO-DIMMs, not DIMMs

9. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Shoot! I thought there was something fishy!

10. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

11. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

12. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

CheaP RAM

I could never understand this: People spend thousands of dollars, or pounds on a computer, (you name the currency), but when it comes to buying the most important addon to their computer, that look for the cheapest price for RAM???

Why is that?

Buying cheap RAM is not the best idea. Sometimes it doesn't fit right, is bad when you receive it, and there is no lifetime warranty!!

Crucial varies pricing so be careful, and I would not put them on the top of my list. (Had many issues with their RAM in the past.)

13. 119576 Guest

That's the same for everything though.

Which is why you don't buy from retailers without warranties.

If it's bad, you send it back.

14. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

If you followed the link I gave it is kingston value ram, so not some unknown brand which like any sane person i gave up on buying long ago.

Yes its cheap, and no I've never used the company, I'm just looking for the best value ram (not the cheapest). Why would people want to pay over the odds. there is a difference in looking for value and buying cheap crap.

Before buying from any store first time I would recommend a googling to see if there are any bad stories of problems.

As an aside, if a lifetime warranty even a good indicator of ram anymore? Ram is so cheap these days the postage as your expense is likely to cost more than a new stick would so I would expect the cheap ram companies to offer it now because it's cheaper to buy a new stick than pay postage both way to some far off country.

Maybe in the long gone days it was worthwhile, I remember paying just short of £120 for a 4mb stick in 1997, and that was when ram had finally come down to a decent price.

15. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

To be honest I have used Crucial and have had nothing but good tales... there company is still going so I assume that they are providing more functioning modules than duds and are therefore still in business...

Thanks for your opinion though!

16. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd be cautious about some of the cheaper options on here. Apple computers tend to be rather pernickety about the specification of RAM used - there have been problems in the past for people trying to cut corners - not necessarily with poor-quality RAM, just with modules that aren't _exactly_ the recommended spec.

Personally, I'd tend to recommend Crucial (despite the earlier post to this thread). Apple have long used Micron as one of their memory suppliers (Crucial is Micron's direct sales arm), and Micron/Crucial guarantee that their RAM is 100% compatible. I've been using them for years both personally and for work (I'm I.T. manager/systems admin for a charity) and can vouch for their excellent service.

17. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

In light of your comment I have added a second EDIT to the original post!

Thanks

18. 119576 Guest

'proved' should be 'proven' and 'precede' should be 'proceed' :rolleyes:

</grammar police>

19. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Not very confidence boosting since Im taking my english GCSE this year! Ha

Thanks for pointing this out anyway!

20. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

oh man, I was so tempted to pick up 2 x 2GB from Chill Blast, but I only have a MacBook mid 2007 that'll only register 3.3GB... I'll be picking up an MBP in January, but I'm guessing by then RAM would be cheaper still.

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I don't recommend Kingston ValueRAM (KVR-) for Macs, there have been reports of incompatibility. Also, if you get the Kingston ValueRAM with the heatsinks on, these may be physically incompatible with the MacBook and iMac slots.

A couple of things to look for in a seller:

Do they guarantee compatibility of their RAM for Macs?

Do they offer a no-cost return period if it doesn't work (no shipping fees, no restocking fees)? Do they offer refund, or only store credit if they supply a bad module?

Where does your warranty get handled? Does the seller exchange it, or are you forced to deal with the manufacturer (and possibly international shipping at your expense)?

22. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I've updated the original post with your tips, I think they were very useful!

Thanks

23. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Just purchased 4GB RAM (2x2Gb - £91+free postage) for my Macbook from Orca memory. I had ordered the same from Dabs several days ago, which was £15 cheaper, but they went out of stock just as I placed my order and do not know when they are getting more in.
    Don't mind the extra few quid, just want to feel the full force of my new laptop! Photoshop is a bit sluggish with the standard 1GB.

Thanks for the the list, it has proved to be very useful.

24. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thats great! I just thought it would be beneficial round here! I will be doing the same as you when I get my Macbook Pro next year!

Thanks again!