The Church of Climate Change

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Nov 6, 2009.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Remainder of article here.

I can't wait for this silliness to make its way to the US. Global warming vs. the First Amendment.

2. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Not shocked. We all know this green thing is a way to extract money (and give it to Africa) and freedom from Americans. For example Al Gore and his line of BS just made him a billionaire via 'green' contracts with the government.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh my... that is ridiculous. That ruling should be reversed.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I loved this part of the article.

Boo hoo, the chief executive didn't agree with Nicholson. I agree, it is only a matter of time before this kind of crap comes to America.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That's interesting (known but interesting). At the end of his run for president he was only worth something like 1.5 million. He just increased his personal fortune over a thousand times. Kinda puts to shame the saying that cheaters never prosper. :eek:

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oh, please. :rolleyes: I suppose you missed the Iraq invasion government contracts with Cheney's pals.

7. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Consider yourself lucky… this time at least he didn't follow up his harebrained claim with 12 hour long YouTube clips and demand that you watch them all. ;)

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah or the bail-out banking take-over. LOL

Harebrained claim? Can you even read?

9. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I am sure I'll regret asking… but… read what exactly?
    Here's your post:
    So… what am I missing?

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Umm, that there's no "harebrained claims" contained in the post? :p

11. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Probably wouldn't happen, as our government's position is that climate change is real and we must act now to halt it. If this politically-based form of Gaia worship was ever recognized in the US, the government would have to backpedal to a neutral position on the matter as the Constitution would forbid the government's advocacy of climate change.

The upside is that Al Gore could get a recyclable green miter and be the Pope of global warming.

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Al Gore? Do anything "green"? Have you seen his houses and cars? You're kidding right? :D

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

except he was the one cheated out of his electoral win...

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

regarding the topic, i don't see where the problem is.

honestly, if unproven and unprovable beliefs can influence a company's policy, why shouldn't the same metric be applied to equally strongly held beliefs based on facts rather than fantasies?

does anyone has an actual argument suggesting that this shouldn't be the case?

15. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well there was wide-spread voter fraud going on to be sure! No doubt about that. There was even more in the following election - OMG! But since all (close) runners up belong to the same "club" and would carry out the same policies/agendas I wonder if he wasn't a run as a dead horse from the beginning?

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

well, even if that was true, it is completely irrelevant to the point discussed.

17. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, sorry. We did get kinda off topic. It's just that Gore and his felonious history goes hand in hand with anything on the topic of "green" or global warming. :p

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Exactly. I'm growing tired of the works "sustainability" and "green". I've found that these efforts are almost always not well thought out.

For example, my office. A committee of hippies decided to get together and examine ways in which our office could become more "green" and "sustainable". One initiative was to eliminate the paper cups in our kitchenette and make people bring in cups from home. On the surface, this seems like its less wasteful.

Except when you think about how this is implemented in an office setting. Each person needs to wash their cup at least once daily, and several times if they have more than one type of beverage(coffee in the morning, water or soda in the afternoon etc). They run their cups under a fawcett. Afterward, most they dry their cups with the papertowels in the dispenser by the sink. When the point was raised on paper towel usage, one of the members of the committee suggested people bring in dish towels from home. There are 80 people on my floor and that many wet dish towels drying. . . I don't know how that could be sanitary. The only person who uses a dish towel is the Committee head, everyone else uses the paper towels.

Not to mention how skeezed out a guest is (who doesn't have a cup) when they mention they are thirsty and would like a drink--and you hand them a cup whose origins are questionable.

So, by becoming "green" we are actually using MORE fresh water and paper than we did prior. This characterizes most sustainability efforts.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Felonious history? :confused:

20. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i think you have a good point, but it underscores the question of how to properly implement "green" policies and evaluate actions impact. not whether the drive to reduce the impact is valuable or not.

in other words, the aim at becoming sustainable is legit, but at times it's not obvious which is best course available, and mistakes will be made to get there.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Link?

I think you mean to say, "this characterizes most poorly thought out sustainability efforts". Believe it or not in other parts of the world we actually have people who think things through and do a great job of implementing them. Here in the good ole USA we just do poorly thought out feel good measures, with just about everything.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Couldn't agree more. But more importantly, you got tix to the Bama/LSU game?

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

well, Al Gore did plead guilty to felony charges for marjuana smoking in 2007.
    Of course this was Al Gore III, son of the former US vice-president, but why let these minor technicalities get in the way of a nice, if off-topic and baseless, insult?

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's just difficult to hear all the sustainability and green efforts while nearly everyone is ignoring the underlying cause of pollution and resource consumption--people. If we lowered the worldwide birthrate we would cut emissions and resource consumption even if we did absolutely nothing else. Not gonna happen though--at least not voluntarily until we start starving to death.

25. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I have voluntarily chosen not to have any kids.

I also volunteer you.