The closer it gets the more doubts i get of what to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dutchnewbie, May 29, 2012.

  1. dutchnewbie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #1
    Well this week i will get some extra money and i will use that to get an MBP.
    Before i was thinking of getting a 13" but i changed my mind and i am planning to get the base 15" model.

    This might be posted many times.

    What will i do is:
    Play some games mostly the hidden object games as they are quite addictive, maybe some RPG but no MMORPG's if that mathers and adventures, some simple photoshop and further surf the web, do office work and listen music and watch movies.

    For some reason i like that the older model got a drive so i could rip my cd's/dvd's as i am not a fan of external drives

    Oh and YES i do know that the buy guide says Don't buy
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    I have the 2010 13"MBP and its a nice little laptop that is very portable.

    I'm opting for the 15" MBP once apple releases the update, for the following reasons
    more screen real estate, better GPU. I found that I needed more screen real estate then the 13" model offered.

    If you're going to play games that are somewhat graphic intensive then the 15" model may be a better fit.

    the other option is to wait and then buy the discounted 2011 model as that will have an optical drive. If rumors prove true the new MBPs may not have the optical drive.
     
  3. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #3
    well i am going for the 15"anyway :)
    and if they will be cheaper it wont be that much here (in holland)

    The point is the mocre i see about whatg i can do the sooner i want it haha.
    For example the tool geektool makes me drool of what you can do with it :)
     
  4. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2010
    #4
    I'm not sure...

    Part of me wants to try a 15" as I've only previously owned 13" Apple laptops, but part of me is wary of the extra size and cost.

    As to spec: well, it depends what is on offer and how expensive, but I think an i7 quad and as little ram as I can get away with (which I'll then upgrade via Crucial to 16Gb). If it comes with a single drive bay, I'll go for the cheapest HDD option and swap in my vertex 2; dual bays, I'll go for the smallest SDD in the first bay and Vertex 2 in the second.

    Oh, and an external DVD writer of course :)
     
  5. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #5
    I don't think i will regret buying now aslong it wont get specs like my current laptop:
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
    RAM: 6GB
    GPU Geforce GT540M
    HD: 640GB 5400 rpm
    DISPLAY: 15,6" at 1920x1080
     
  6. Donka macrumors 68020

    Donka

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #6
    I personally love the 13 model but if you have no requirement or desire to have the smaller size then the 15 would be a better fit for your uses.
     
  7. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #7
    but the question more is should i wait for the new model as you could see what i will do with in in my first post in this topic?
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Yes, wait. A couple of weeks isn't really going to matter that much and then you can detemine whether the 2011 model that will be discounted is the best choice or the newer (and faster) ones fits your needs.
     
  9. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #9
    it's just that i get super excited to get one hehe :)
     
  10. Donka macrumors 68020

    Donka

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #10
    If you can hold off then it makes sense to see what is released but at this moment we have nothing concrete so holding off would be purely down to speculation.
     
  11. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #11
    Ok hope so then that they will announce this week so badly, i feel my inerchildness comes above as i really really like getting an MBP :) and say farewell to windows
     
  12. Donka macrumors 68020

    Donka

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #12
    I did the same thing over the New Year and haven't looked back - in fact I removed my Boot Camp Windows partition when I upgraded to an SSD last week. In your position I would hold off just to see what, if anything, is announced. Be happy in the knowledge though that what is currently available is more than enough for your needs.
     
  13. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #13
    I already used os x before on a hackintosh but when i needed a laptop last year i had no money to buy a macbook pro. But now i truelly want one.

    i just dont hope to just place a SSD on it from like only 256GB as i defenitly want 500GB or more. and i think 512mb videocard would be enough for my needs
     
  14. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

    Xcallibur

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    Location:
    Manchester
    #14
    Well we will all see in just under two weeks time what is on offer!
     
  15. ivoruest macrumors 6502

    ivoruest

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2010
    Location:
    Guatemala
    #15
    I know it can be hard due to temptation but to tell you the truth if you were planning on buying a 13" then seriously you have to wait.

    If its a 15" MBP what you want I´m pretty sure that the new MBP (hopefully presented on June 11) is not going to be a huge improvement over the current.
     
  16. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #16
    So you would say if i want to get the 15" base model that should be fine if i dont wait for the announcement?

    And i wonder how many resources geektool uses on memory?
     
  17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

    ugahairydawgs

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #17
    Yeah....your needs are relatively light. And if you want to keep the ODD, might as well go ahead now.

    Check out the refurb store too....save a little extra $$.
     
  18. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    The Hague - The Netherlands
    #18
    the only refurbs we got in The Netherlands are i thought iPads and iPod touches
    I am thinking of getting an MBP next saturday :)
     
  19. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

    Astroboy907

    Joined:
    May 6, 2012
    Location:
    Spaceball One
    #19
    I know it will be tough as heck, but I recommend seeing what happens on June 11. Usually apple takes a bit longer to go internationally, so maybe you will be lucky and able to get an older one that suits your needs after the new one is released if it isnt what is thought. Please correct me if i am wrong....
     

Share This Page