The competition isn't great, but …

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Yr Blues, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

… they're very compelling as an alternative design-language.

[​IMG]

2. troop231 macrumors 603

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It could do with some fine tuning.
    Mostly, I feel we all agree, in the way the bracelet joins into the main body of the watch.

To be honest. If they fixed the aesthetics of that aspect, which seems to be the biggest design complaint.

And of course, they are able to deal with the screen display driver at the bottom.

95% of the complaints about it would be gone.

It was announced / shown off almost exactly 1 year ago, and was a brave 1st try at a circular bezeless smartwatch.

I do so hope they are committed to carrying on with this and improving it, dealing with the main issues, as it's god a good following out there even now.

Given Apple's pricing, It's probably helped Motorola, and others, by giving them more room to play with.

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

It looks more classy but less functional. I really don't like the black bezel on the Apple Watch.

Competition challenges everyone to innovate.

5. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

6. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Or some stranger in the park selling knockoffs...

7. Sharkey311 Suspended

Just awful. That bracelet looks like utter trash.

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

It's called choices and variety.

Apple is a juggernaut that's largely immune from competition at this point. With endless amounts of cash and other resources the Watch could end up being nothing more than a slow selling novelty gadget and Apple's clever marketing team will declare success.

It's as simple as that.

9. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I have no doubt that Apple's solution is the best, but it's refreshing to see other ideas and possibilities.

The watch-face has a nicer design with the virtual shadows, etc. … possibly even gyroscopic.

The circular shape is more fundamentally sound as a design aesthetic. The rectangle that Apple has chosen is almost brutalist in style.

10. Sharkey311 Suspended

Brutalist or practical? I think the round design is novelty at its best. A lame attempt to mimmick a watch rather than build upon the functionality of one like the Apple Watch is doing.

11. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

Mimic a watch? Mickey Mouse hands pointing to numbers isn't mimicking a watch?

12. Sharkey311 Suspended

Nope. Neither is showing a clock on the watch either.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's funny as you would be saying the complete opposite if the Apple watch was round as most people thought it would be, given all the "Renders" people on these very forums were loving before we saw it was not round :D

14. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I certainly wouldn't be. I never imagined the Watch would be round. It doesn't make any sense.

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Ok, however, you need to accept, I do struggle accepting that many people who are now saying "round is stupid and dumb" would be saying this if the Apple watch was indeed round.

Forgive me for doubting this, but I do have difficulty all these people would be saying how wrong apple is, and it's terrible if this was the case.

:)

16. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Square

A smart watch displays lots of text, pictures and such. A round face is really not the best for that. I think apple got it right. It's not a watch, it's a smart watch. It has to be built to perform as one.

17. Sharkey311 Suspended

Round doesn't make sense, I agree whole wholeheartedly with Jony on that one. I never thought it'd be round.

----------

You speak hypothetically about something Apple would never have done so it's a moot issue.

18. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm not sure why. A round display screen has never made much sense.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It is strange how many on these forums loved the round renders of a possible design before we saw the real thing, and these was an almost tactile sense of disappointment that went across the forums at that point in time.

There is no doubt apple have played it safe here.
    I wish they had been braver.

20. technosix macrumors 6502a

Well stated.

I'm a huge long time horology enthusiast. Twenty years ago I decided to study the history of the various ultra luxury watches, and slowly build a collection. It's been very educational and a complete escape so to speak from the all digital life I live and work in.

I just love that there's no battery, no circuits, no alarms or notifications in my watches. Even better, like most serious collectors mine are all centered on only one type of watch. The Handmade Swiss Chronograph. With a minimum of three or more dials the mechanical complications are immense. No wonder it takes one man a year or longer to build my watch. Never out of his sight, he's the only one involved with the watch. It's an amazing old world craft.

21. Sharkey311 Suspended

You want a round face? Why on earth would you? The only "concept" I ever liked was that bracelet with the wrap around screen. I don't even recall any round face apple watch concepts :confused:

22. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

23. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

The question is, how important are those things going to be, if you find that something like the Apple Watch is too important to your day to leave home? I also love watches and have collected them over the years. Nothing handmade like you're talking about, but I've owned Rolex, Omega, etc. Is that fun little hobby going to keep me from the practicalities of a smart watch? Probably not. As I mentioned earlier, it's like trading in my '60s Jaguar for a Tesla. It's not the end of the world.

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't like it, but I still think it's more "watch-like" than the square :apple: watch. Probably by the 2nd or 3rd gen it'll look decent.

25. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

No doubt the Apple Watch is infinitely more refined and meticulously designed. The round face is more pleasing as an aesthetic form.

----------

You should write an essay about Apple Watch from your perspective and post it as a blog or video.