The concept of Siri reminds me of...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Figgies, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Figgies macrumors newbie

Facetime.

When the iphone 4 was introduced, all the rave was about Facetime and Apple actually went as far as having Geniuses on call if someone wanted to talk to someone. Facetime is an aswesome feature but I don't use it as much as advertised.

Do you think Siri become just an additional feature like Facetime that won't be use as much as time fly by?

2. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

Siri has much more use than FaceTime. It's not just for talking to someone, its for finding about information and having it do stuff for you.

3. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

That was my expressed point of view as well... a lot of people suggest it's going to be an amazing experience and that they'll use it constantly, however, I'm fairly confident time will demonstrate that while it's fun and probably fairly accurate, few will use it on a regular basis simply as after the initial wow factor wears off, their familiarity with manual interaction will once again return as routine.

4. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

If Siri never does more than it does today (core app control, etc.), then it'll be useful for hands free controls in a car and as a novelty in certain situations.

If Apple ups the ante and starts to allow Siri to do more things and accomplish more tasks (looking up hotels and booking rooms via expedia/orbitz/etc, making dinner reservations via OpenTable, accessing social media from outside the app, etc.) then it could transform into a very powerful tool to accomplish many things without launching apps, waiting for loading times, etc.

It's all up to Apple, really.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Marketing. What makes the phone worth buying? Does this feature make the masses want to buy it? Will they use it? From Apple's standpoint, it doesn't matter. The fact that 1,000,000 (this number is mind boggling) pre-orders were sold within 24 hours proves Siri was a genius idea. Also note that they branded the voice control (Siri) and the video chat (FaceTime)...adds to the marketability of the product.

From a marketing standpoint, Apple is absolutely genius. MILLIONS of people committed to buying a new phone without ever even touching or trying it out.

6. Nioxic macrumors regular

Actually, i think it's gonna be VERY handy for me, with the reminders / calendar stuff, since i really suck at adding stuff into my calendar normally. (i've used mobile me since it was new and i've yet to really add anything to its calendar - even after ive bought myself a MBA)

But all the other things, i dont think i'm gonna need..

just the reminders / calendar stuff.. that'll do for me <3

7. kalex macrumors 65816

how can 1 million preorders prove that siri is a genius idea? your logic is flawed. I don't think that siri was the driver behind 1 million preorders

Also many people touched the iphone 4s because its an iphone 4 :) with upgraded guts.

How many of these 1 million preorders will be scalpers trying to make money like we saw with iphone 4 and ipad1/2 ? :)

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Anyone remember cover flow? Yeah, I don't either.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Flawed? I can't imagine nearly as many preorders if the 4S didn't have Siri. An upgraded camera and quicker performance alone aren't enough for that many preorders. Siri has been hyped and hyped and hyped by Apple and the media. Really is a huge selling point. So we'll have to disagree on what the driver was for the number of preorders.

Also, as many- if not more people would buy this phone if it didn't have the iPhone 4's design. This was something even Apple was aware of when Schiller said they were shocked by the demand for the 4S. Many were doubting the upgrades were enough since there was no redesign. Apple's stock value reflected that shortly after the announcement. Clearly it's been a success. ;)

10. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Amen. I've never used that feature for any practical reason. Looks pretty. And was great fun to show people when the iPhone first came out.

12. Justim macrumors 6502

More like Ping.

Also, FaceTime had a big fault. You can't use it over 3G. Maybe with the 4G like speeds, this will change.

Also it's rare to see video calling used in real world scenarios outside of the home. If Apple enables FaceTime on 3G, I hope the world catches on to it.

Siri I can see being used in real world scenarios. Its going to be a HUGE short cut to some things in iOS like maps and reminders.

13. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

And wifi... So, clearly not for most of us. :p

14. highscheme macrumors regular

Really? It's not the standard view that I use, but it is so easy to switch between views that I use them all at various times.

15. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I think the main problem is that Facetime requires you talk to someone else with an iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPod Touch 4th Gen, or Macbook. That may seem like a lot of options, but only a handful of my friends have one of those things. I think once more people get access to Facetime devices, it'll grow in popularity.

Facetime is a bit of a gimmick though. Siri on the other hand is very useful as it will reduce the time needed to complete tasks, and you don't need two people to use it.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think Siri is a more practical feature because it can be used to do many things, where as facetime is only good for facetime.

That being said I'm sure many people will not use it/complain about how useless it is, while others will use it all the time and love it.

I am eager to test it out, If it works half as good as advertised I'll probably use it often. Plus it's still in beta so we can look forward to nothing but improvements.

17. spikefood macrumors regular

The problem with facetime, for me at least, was the lack of people who had facetime. It made it harder for me to use since no one had it. However, with siri it is more widespread. Currently to make a reminder in ios5 takes round 30 seconds. With siri I can do it with my phone locked and in less than 5 seconds. The usefulness of not having to type is awesome. I'm upgrading from a 4 because I get every iphone. Some may call me a fanboy, and I might have to agree. :D I love my apple products.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think the main benefit of facetime was the camera. The front facing camera gives us a lot more than just facetime now. We have skype, fring, and a billion photo apps. Skype is huge and works on almost every platform so that's a nice feature to have.

I like facetime. I don't use it much, but I think that will change once I get the family on the iPhone bandwagon and once I start a family of my own.

19. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

iOS5 will do FaceTime on 3G, no?

20. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

yes