The Consequences Of Defunding Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Feb 4, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Duh!

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2016/02/04/3746113/study-texas-planned-parenthood-defund/

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pretty stupid to stick it to the poor, they just end up staying poor and with poor babies they stay on the system on welfare, a few cents on BC can prevent 1000's on welfare.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I know but the right wing is blind to that. they think somehow people will stop having sex. that has not worked in 1,000,000 years.
    plus the best way to end abortions is birth control. but they think again if people did not have sex unlike most of them who I am sure had sex will do so.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm shocked!

But really, anybody in Texas who thought there would be any other result is an imbecile. And unfortunately there have been a lot of imbeciles elected here.

The misinformation that is thrown out about Planned Parenthood is ridiculous. And it amazes me that people actually believe it.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

OMG I agree with everything you said, the world is going to end..

NRA NRA NRA NRA NRA,,,,there, I feel so much better :p

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Call me simple minded but how hard is it to go to the drug store and get condoms?

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm glad we agree on this important issue.

In the big scheme of things this is far more important to the financial and social well-being of our country.

But millions of people such as yourself continue to vote Republicans into office, IMHO because they exaggerate and lie about Democrats and the issue of guns.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Yup, that's simple minded...

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

They gotta be available with food stamps, alongside cigarettes and Lotto tickets. But it just feels so good without it, because all you gotta do is abort that sucker as a form of prevention. Yeah! That's the ticket. So many blacks never see the light of day in that manner. Margaret Sanger would be proud.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The only thing missing for a woman is, well, you know...

11. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

While I agree that women have fundamental reproductive rights - no if and or buts.

I just don't understand why it is called planned parenthood.

Shouldn't it be rather Planned No Parenthood?

Shouldn't the Patriot Act be Called - the Un Patriot Act?
    or the Freedom Act - the No Freedom Act?

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

Palatability. Usually arrived at by naming it for its opposite. Like the Affordable Care Act.

13. Scepticalscribe, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Because with affordable, accessible, reliable birth control you can decide when to have children, and when not to have children. Birth control allows women choice.

Therefore, to a large extent, it gives you choice, because it means that you can choose when to become pregnant and when to become a parent and you can also choose not to become a parent if that is what you desire.

In truth, I see this as the Right choosing to punish women - especially poor women - for being sexually active. Birth control allowed women to be sexually active without having to fear the consequence of pregnancy - it allowed women to do what men had always been able to do, which was divorce the act of sex from the possible consequence of parenthood, a consequence which historically had always impacted far more on women - socially, culturally, biologically, economically - than men.

Historically, not having a say in when you became pregnant circumscribed the choices and opportunities open to women and significantly curtailed their independence, social, economic, cultural and political.

Actually, I would argue that attempts to defund and deprive organisations such as planned parenthood of public funding are an attempt to turn back the clock, and restore the sort of attitudes which governed relations of class and gender (race, too, possibly) as recently as the middle of the twentieth century.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's the peculiar pecking order of the Left. Every protected group is allowed its taking a shiner for the cause. The way the left screws woman's rights in favor of letting the misogynistic migrants rape women unchallenged; the overwhelming thousands of aborted blacks take a back seat so that Planned Parenthood continues to be funded by everyone. The blacks that survive, if not killed by other blacks, take a hit by the illegal aliens streaming in, capturing whatever jobs are available and leaving the blacks unemployed.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Explain to me how something done entirely by a mother's own volition can be used as an example of systemic disenfranchisement of an entire race?

...wow, now there's a sentence with a few dozen thousand dollar words in it. I always knew reading the thesaurus would pay off one day.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You know that planned parenthood does more than abortions, right?

Including cancer screening. Having gone through the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer last year, I know how incredibly expensive and sometimes difficult it can be to just get a referral to get a diagnostic mammogram. And how important it can be to get this all done as quickly as possible.

The defunding of Planned Parenthood is taking much more away than just abortions (which aren't federally funded anyway). They are taking away services from women AND men.

As I said earlier, one of the biggest obstacles here is the ignorant refuse to educate themselves.

Some of what they offer:

• checkups when you have a reproductive/sexual health problem
    • breast exams
    • cervical cancer screening
    • hormone replacement therapy
    • incontinence education
    • incontinence treatment
    • infertility education
    • mammogram referrals
    • menopause and midlife – testing and treatment
    • Pap test
    • urinary tract infections – testing and treatment
    • vaginal infections – testing and treatment

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well that's why we should vote for Trump. He has a great relationship with the blacks.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

when women practice abstinence they disenfranchise all the married males........

close?

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And the more poor that are made because of lack of jobs, opportunities, education... maybe the GOP that are pro-life and their enablers will stop blaming unions for companies going offshore to make use of slave labor to keep reporting the big big profits, especially when Americans trained a number of foreigners to begin with, gave out source code, etc.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So it's a matter of inconvenience. Guess what, if Vasectomies were outlawed in this country but other forms of BC are readily available OTC (that I refuse to use or acknowledge as viable options), I'm not going to keep impregnating my wife and then point the finger at the government and say "Look what you made me do! Damn you for not letting me get snipped, we're just gonna keep popping out kids we don't even want because of you".
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2016 ---
    60% of the time it works everytime.

[​IMG]

21. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it increases carpel tunnel too thats expensive. not even going to include the extra bandwidth needed.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given the biggest problem in the Middle East is too many kids why on earth people would argue against free birth control is beyond me.

By the way condoms are expensive.

23. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Thats called reproductive rights.

To me Planned Parenthood should be holding fathers accountable and having them contribute to so many women and children that have been abandoned..

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Only the studded ones with the vibrating ring at the end .........kids are more exisnsive

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

African landfills are filled with condoms because all the missionaries preaching about not using birth control. Well the 3.1 million kids that die of starvation is some kind of a lesser Problem then birth control or abortions.