The Conservative Bible

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

An issue for Christians of all stripes, I guess.

We're often told that The Bible is the Word of God, and approaching that statement in good faith, assuming that's an accurate summary of how you feel, I'd like to know what you think of this project called the Conservative Bible. In their words, the purpose of this project is to correct and edit existing translations and produce a new text, in line with these guidelines:

Word of God, or of men?

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

There is the old KJV, always a good choice, however, to get back to true biblical terms, the Jewish bible, which I also have.

But in answer to your question, anytime Man tinkers with God's work, it fails to measure up.

Think about it, if God is truly God, He can keep an intact copy of His words for us today.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Word of men, no doubt about it.

First, right away I had to ask if this is even possible:
    Isn't all interpretation of the bible done with some bias? And to not dumb down? Fine, don't dumb it down but then you're bias against those who have faith and are unable to comprehend to the level that these "men" have determined to be the level they will write at.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Then, by that statement, I'm guessing you would not support an overtly political project to recast scripture in the light of (American) conservative principles?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ I think my answer is no. Why? Because there are more than enough books for people to read and throw verses around that they don't actually understand, why give people more to misunderstand?

Try understanding what you have today. That's all I ask. (not to you BV, just in general).

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

No. I would not. A hebrew perspective, is the correct one, as the body that Christ wore was hebrew, and Gods chosen people are hebrew. We, gentiles have been included by the grace of God, to bring all people back to him, all he created. People, no not most of them, try to slant the bible to fit their race/culture. I have seen artwork, where black people paint Yeshua, as black. Where protesters, paint him as a revolutionist.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I love this one . . .

"this would debunk the pervasive and hurtful myth that Jesus would be a political liberal today"

10. Queso macrumors G4

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When will this be out? I can't wait to torrent it.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Srsly?

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Meh. I'm a King James guy, myself. Never saw the need for yet another retread.

It's more about the big picture for me, anyway.

EDIT:
    Dude, there's not enough time in the day for me to read enough of that - that's the funniest thing I've seen in a VERY long time!! :D

14. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Why are we talking about different versions of a book that has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to be completely fabricated?

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Until you stand before the Lord Himself, and he points to the Word he provided, there is NOTHING been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. It is only opinion. The day you die, you will know one way or the other the truth of the matter, only then will you have complete "proof".

16. djellison macrumors 68020

The Bible- from 'biblical times' to the present day - has always been the word of men and nothing else.

This is simply the latest chapter of men in power attempting to use a fictional deity to exercise control of the masses. That they would be so audacious as to claim this latest edition is to 'remove bias' is laughable, even for the conservative right.

Religious fundamentalism, at work, in modern day USA.

Pitiful.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Word of men indeed, remember the scapegoat we have heard a million times that this is the inspired word of god? Well it was mere men who decided which books would stay and which ones were thrown out when men put together the books that make up the bible. This is just more of the same it appears.

18. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Basically, they would like to rewrite the foundation of modern Christianity to be what they want in every way.

I think a new translation should be done by someone who has nothing whatsoever to gain in it. An Atheist, Agnostic, maybe even a Muslim.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The conservative bible is just as much a line of BS as is the liberal bible.

Behold:

wikia

20. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

For all of you that disbelieve in the Bible, the Word of God, you imply you don't believe in God. The conclusion being, that even if there were a God he is impotent to keep his commands and words alive for thousands of years. Which leads to if you don't believe in God, why is a book that only believers accept, so troublesome to you.

You are willing to spend so much effort to attack the book, you consider fiction. If it were fiction, it is of no threat to you. And, if it were fiction, followers would have given up long ago to follow it.

Are you not curious enough to even entertain the possibility, even if it is slight, that 1. there is a God and 2. that being God, creating mankind, and this world, he is more than able to keep his words among us, unperverted, uncontaminated.

This not an attack on what you believe or don't believe, just an opinion and a request you keep an open mind. No, I'm not preaching or asking you to believe, just keep an open mind.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The book isn't a threat. It's the people who follow the book and try to take it literally and use it to pass legislation who are the threats.

22. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Speaking as an atheist -- the book is not troublesome to me at all. It doesn't even particularly discourage me that people choose to believe the mythology. What is troublesome to me is when the beliefs espoused by any religion infect my daily world with their crazy myths and beliefs. That is a big threat to me.

Interracial marriage was illegal as recently as 1967 largely due to Christian beliefs.

I can't buy beer on Sunday because of silly "blue laws" which wouldn't exist if it weren't for that silly book.

Protestors today are ceaselessly trying to ban the teaching of evolution because it conflicts with their religious mythology. How is this country supposed to compete if we're producing high school graduates who lack even the most fundamental (pun intended) understanding of science?

In my mind Christians are entitled to whatever kooky beliefs they want -- and if they left it there I'd be fine with it. As soon as they try to legislate their beliefs as the law it because very troublesome.

Heck, there's even credible reason to believe that Bush invaded Iraq at least in part because he believes it was the fulfillment of Biblical prophesy. That's INSANE.

Just like muslims and jews and buddhists and hindus have long ago given up their holy texts? Those books are fiction, right? We can agree on that. It's just your book which is true, right?

Open minds are generally more immune to religion than closed minds.

23. iGary Guest

iGary

Are you sure it wasn't polyester? :confused:

24. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Couldn't have been polyester. That's a fabric blend and violates Leviticus 19:19. According to the bible, Polyester is as much of an abomination to God as that whole gay thing seems to be.