The conservative crackup: How the Republican Party lost its mind

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 31, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Interesting piece in Salon magazine covering some of the history of the 1948-1980 party realignment, and, how it stacks up today.

[...]

[...]

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/31/the_conservative_crackup_how_the_republican_party_lost_its_mind/

The article is not huge, but, I still left most of it out. There are nuances and implications that perhaps not everyone can agree on, but, the history part is something that conservatives and liberals will (mostly) agree on.

This part:

sounds like another government shutdown coming. And after all, who needs firefighters in the forests and parks, or an Air Traffic Control system?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree that the GOP has lost their minds and that they will try to stop any progress in a direction they disagree with. This is why voters have to come to their senses and stop electing them.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sadly thanks to Fox News that won't happen. People underestimate the power of Fox. They're insanely good at generating group think and hate.

I have seen not only my parents but many friends and co-workers go from having intelligent views of politics and new to becoming babbling idiots who can only mumble "Obama", "Benghazi", and "Unconstitutional" after switching to Fox as their news source. I really wish I was exaggerating but I'm not.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I fear for our future.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Our future was squashed when most manufacture businesses shipped out to cheaper areas of the globe! Now add that with massive government debt and the future is now bleak.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah, we have freedom, freedom to screw our fellow citizen. As an intelligent species we have a long way to go to prove our superiority. That said, I'm not defending it, just observing that globalization is a fact of life. Corporations have no national loyalty, their loyalty is to profits, they have no morality when it comes to their lower tier workers, and in their wisdom they have decided max profits is most important, screwing the lower tier workers to achieve it.

Once the first company shipped manufacturing overseas, to remain competitive, because of the max profit mindset and the CEO's golden parachute, most felt they had to do it. Then others decided to hire more part time workers so they did not have to give them benefits. And if you're fast food you'll get min wage or slightly more.

Regarding manufacturing, typically above average paying jobs, it looks like some of the those jobs might come back state side, or whatever western country you live in.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Honestly I agree with you guys. It would take something stupid to bring conservative republicans back to power....

Like an unwarranted war in Syria

8. AhmedFaisal, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's not just Fox, however. It's also guys like Limbaugh and Beck. The latter is a tin foil hat-wearing nut, and the former is a sly propagandist.

Limbaugh's latest tactic is to refer to people who disagree with his views as "low information voters". Personally I'm amazed that the sheer irony of that idea hasn't reversed the polarity of the universe and turned us inside out. But there are real low information voters out there who listen to him and actually believe that stuff.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ugh my Mom was talking about how anyone who voted Obama was a "low information voter". Now I know where she got brainwashed from.

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I find it funny that people continually bring this up, as if Iraq was warranted, and twice at that.

Yet those same people have nothing to say against Iraqi Freedom, nor Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

Again, I say that some people must love the smell of fresh hypocrisy in the morning.

BL.

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Both sides are hypocrites, but we live in a "what have you done for me lately" kind of world. A war with Syria will be a problem for Democrats to overcome because their regime is calling the shots. The best thing that can happen to the Democratic Party is this war proposal gets shot down in Congress.

13. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I hope this was sarcastic.

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Some folks here will use the european political spectrum to describe american politicians. I think its a way to distance themselves from the crap these politicians do.

15. AhmedFaisal, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

He also pushes the concept that Obama and the Democrats like social programs because they want everyone to be dependent on government. It's a power thing, y'see.

Now, if you're like most people you probably crack a smile when you hear that, because it's such a stupid idea. Where's the government going to get its money from, if everybody is on the dole? Yet people buy Rush's alternate version of reality, and this is why we seem to have more and more effed-up voters on our hands.

I've said it before: if I had a nickel for every tea partier who stated, "You know, I was never involved in politics before, but when I found out what was happening...", I'd be a rich man. These are the true low information voters, people who came to the political arena so clueless that they actually buy the garbage that Rush is selling.

Getting a little closer back to the topic...apparently there's still room for more craziness:

Kind of frightening, isn't it? Like watching the creation of Taliban West.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Eh, I don't think he was saying there was anything wrong with it ;).

18. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Full disclosure - I'm a conservative. However, I can't stand Rush (and frankly, I don't have time to listen to him even if I did), Hannity or Beck.

But, even through your smiles, you have to admit, it makes sense on some level. Democrats increasing government (read: raise taxes), increasing social programs (not a bad premise, by the way) therefore, getting more people enrolled in the programs - thus dependent on the government. All you have to do is tax the rich right?

I don't know who came up with it, but the "pay their fair share" was brilliant.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't think we are going to war. My impression is that at most we are talking limited drone strikes. We as a country have to ask ourselves to we believe in International Law or not? If we don't, then let's stop pretending we do.

Better described as anyone who voted for Obama were "low propaganda" voters. ;)

20. citizenzen, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

citizenzen Suspended

Let me offer a different perspective.

The true wealth of a nation is measured in its people, their ingenuity, creativity and productivity. By investing in the people, the government helps to maximize these resources and in the long run increases the revenue that people generate.

For instance, a population of children whose nutrition was supplemented by WIC will be healthier, more capable in school and therefore more likely to grow up to be productive and contributing members of society.

Or temporary welfare payments going to a homeowner that allows them to keep their house is a better long-term strategy than casting someone on the street, where they have to try to rebuild from scratch.

I see these programs as a necessary investment in the most valuable resource any nation has, its people.

21. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Until Syria lobs a bomb (chemical or otherwise) over the boarder into Israel.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Then ideally Israel will respond...

I'll clarify that I am against the U.S. jumping into another war. At the same time, I am questioning the concept of International Law and our responsibilities to it.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Nothing wrong with it. Different strokes for different folks.

24. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Ideally, yes, Israel would respond, but if it gets to that point, we'll have boots on the ground somewhere over there. I don't think Israel gets away with bombing Syria without Syria and/or Iran unleashing their arsenals back at them.

And, with the USA's wagon being hitched to Israel... if they go, we go.

Just to make clear - I want no part of another war... however, we, as a world of nations, seem to be marching our way towards one.

----------

That's all bunnies and rainbows, but how are you going to pay for that all and keep the programs running efficiently?

25. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If Syria or Iran were silly enough to lob anything at Israel it would be the last thing they did as a nation. It would be the excuse the Israelis need to mop up that part of the world.

It'd be better to fight us, we're nice.