the contagion of ignorance

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Not too many stories get more breath-takingly deplorable than this:
    Not sure how we go about combating the kind of troglodyte mindset that leads to vile behavior like this. The US does not seem to be at risk, yet we do have quite a few wackos with guns floating around, and a quite a few religious wackos out there, hopefully the cross-over between those groups will remain small.

Note: most people with guns are not wackos and most religious people are pretty OK.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Worth noting the Boko Haram are an Islamic sect.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boko_Haram

Founded by Mohammed Yusuf in 2002, the organisation seeks to establish a "pure" Islamic state ruled by sharia law, putting a stop to what it deems "Westernization". The group is known for attacking Christians and government targets, bombing churches, attacking schools and police stations, kidnapping western tourists, but has also assassinated members of the Islamic establishment. Violence linked to the Boko Haram insurgency has resulted in an estimated 10,000 deaths between 2002 and 2013.

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Boko Haram? Didn't they sing "Whiter Shade of Pale"?

/sarcasm

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I guess? Fundamentalists of any stripe are a problem in lawless areas.

5. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

correct

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/african-children-denounce_n_324943.html

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although historical in nature: Mountain Meadow Massacre- just saw this on The West Documentary.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Not justification, but it may help to point out that the perpetrators had been experiencing similar "massacres" for years in the Midwest before this. And they headed west to escape such persecution.

They were naturally weary of people coming through their territory.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We are all susceptible to failure. The statement was not meant to single out Mormons. Historically those of us fervent in the righteousness of our faith in combination with intolerance and toss in some persecution, can become just as susceptible to barbarity as infidels and heathens.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Just posting to let you all know I didn't read a single bit of this thread. Tell your friends not to read it, too!

10. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

You have bliss, then?

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I don't know what that is, and I'm happy not knowing.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

"Their" territory? American property became the property of the Mormons when exactly? It would seem as though that you are a Clive Bundy supporter. Rewrite history to support your own beliefs. That's sad.

13. SLC Flyfishing, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yes, "their territory" in the sense that they were the ones living there, the ones that settled it when they were forced out of Missouri and Illinois. And it was not "American Property" when they settled it; it was technically Mexican property.

Additionally, at the time of the massacre, the federal government had dispatched an army to remove Brigham Young from power and install a different governor. It's understandable why the settlers may have been a bit jumpy seeing as how they were facing the potential of yet another round of persecution and violence, things which they fled their homes in the Midwest to avoid.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

"Forced out"? Polygamy was not legal. They chose to pursue it even though they knew they were committing a crime. Clive Bundy all over again.

Only some of present day Utah was Mexican when the Mormon criminals settled it and even then only for two years. From 1850 until Utah statehood, Mormons were criminals. There's simply no way around it.

The Louisiana Purchase was technically Spanish, but was purchased from France. What's your point?

15. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Is it your stance then, that their being forced out and having a state sanctioned "extermination order" against them was justified because their marriage practices were illegal?

I think you're treading a fine line there Ugg.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This is so messed up. A family friend works for a sex-trade victim aid organization, and the stories are just heartbreaking.

17. Ugg, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014

Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Mormon War of 1838

Well that's certainly a sign of peacefulness, isn't it!

18. SLC Flyfishing, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

That smells like a dodge. Answer the question Ugg.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I believe religion all too often is controlled by hucksters who manufacture prophecies to controllers the sheep, where the sheep allow themselves to sheared. For the Mormons, I'd really like to see those golden tablets. I'm not an expert on Mormonism, and they may be mainstreaming now, but the early years really sounds like a cult to me.

20. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Interesting testimony of the Mormon history.
    Here's another:
    Back to the topic at hand, I really don't see any future that works out for humanity that doesn't involve the abandonment of religion. People need to get out of their heads, and deal in facts. Helping others and striving for a better future should be the driving force behind everything we do. If not, maybe a few million years from now, the "next" species that subdues nature to achieve civilization may study our fossils and argue whether our remains are actually millions of years old or just put there by the devil to confuse them and test their faith.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Chicken or egg? Joseph Smith is the one who declared that entirely innocent and totally unknown people were the enemies of the Mormons.

Violence begets violence. The early Mormons were violent and unlawful. Frontier justice is still practiced by those on the extreme right. Guilty until proven innocent.

Why should someone who invented a religion be allowed to commit violent acts? Religion can never be used as an excuse for violence, if it is then its followers cease to be religious.

----------

It was. Much closer to L. Ron Hubbard than other religions that were founded in the 1800s. J smith's goal was power and wealth. His appeal was a truly "American" religion and what greater appeal to the masses than to be one of the lost tribes of israel.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Another dodge.

You implied that the Mormons deserved to lose their homes and have an extermination order against them because if their marriage practices; I want to know if you really believe that.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Illegal acts are not defensible. Period.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That might be a little broad.

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You're still not answering. Did they deserve to be exterminated because of their marriage practices?

It's a simple question, I don't know why you're having such trouble answering it.