The Core of the Race Problem Resides In The White Community

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Digital Skunk, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I usually have the time to watch something like this while I do the mountain of paper work that goes along with production. I TOTALLY understand if you can't watch even up to 16 minutes, where I stopped it and had to post it on here.

What are your thoughts?

Personally I've always agreed with such a statement, not in a hateful way, but because no matter how much freedoms are earned, given, and fought for, the overwhelming power of a supremacist structure is hard to beat. It's not merely a matter of numbers or of being a majority, as is evident in South Africa and other countries burned by European colonization, it's truly a matter of mindset.

The core of the video that struck me was:

Thoughts?

Link

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

However, I think its an overgeneralization to conclude that all white people are to blame.

In today's world, my personal feeling is that a lot of the residual racism in American society is intertwined with the economic fears and frustrations the greater part of our society - the 99%, if you will - is undergoing.

Over the past thirty years or so, I've seen the Republican Party manage to consistently dupe lower-education, lower-income white people into believing that African-Americans (the mythical Cadillac-driving "welfare queen", etc.) were the source of their problems. When in reality the problem was far more complex, having far more to do with globalization, education, and advances in technology than anything else.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I've seen the ploy work very effectively on some of the more highly-educated, with high-income white people, as well...

People, in general, seem to more willing to place the blame on a convenient scapegoat vs. trying to understand complex problems, regardless of how educated or well-off they are.

5. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I believe a lot of Republicans will say whatever gets them bigger tax cuts.

6. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree totally, and there's a Q&A portion after his presentation, where a student asks (I think the first question) a question that deals with the same idea, and the professor answers with the same statement.

That there are victims on both sides of the fence if you will that suffer from supremacist ideals.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

To the extent that being racist does nothing other than create inefficiencies for the racist, then perhaps a core of The Race Problem resides in the white community - but that's their problem, not ours.

The core of our (African-American) Race Problem resides in our own (African American) community. If we just altogether stop seeing ourselves as victims and start behaving as if we, and only we, are responsible for our present and future conditions, then we'll solve our own "Race Problem."

What white folks do with theirs is their business.

>

8. AhmedFaisal, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's often discussion about black communities and I happened upon this article again while looking up information from the National Historical Geographic Information System.

From ProPublica, "Living Apart: How the Government Betrayed a Landmark Civil Rights Law" is a discussion about how many president's have refused to use the landmark 1968 Fair Housing Act to force communities to integrate as former HUD Secretary George Romney—yeah that Romney—wanted to, using the agency's ability to reject applications for water, sewer and highway projects.

However, Pres. Nixon was furious about Romney's actions and eventually sacked him.

From the article:

The article is long, but it goes through some fascinating history, including the fight to integrate public housing in the tiny Texas burg of Vidor in 1994. (Yeah, 1994 that's not a typo).

10. AhmedFaisal, Aug 29, 2013
  11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Is this full whites only or do half whites count?

Also are middle class black people who don't want to live near housing projects also contributing to holding the black man down?

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I agree in the main points made in the video. I do believe that every country has small deviations because of history and culture, but the main points hold true the world over.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

White communities repressing black communities...... hardly a shocking revelation is it? Slaves in America and the UK, UK colonialisation, boers and apartheid in S. Africa......

:rolleyes:

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I remember taking part in all of these things. Oh I feel so guilty now. :eek:

:confused:

60 years ago a good chunk of the jewish population was stuck in an oven or concentration camp. That doesn't seem to have much impact on their economic status today.

15. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Shame on you!

HOW COULD YOU?!

:p

16. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Brilliant!

17. Digital Skunk, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Very true, and I do agree that it's an issue of the income gap, and it's ever increasing size.

You must not have watched the video. The person making the claims is white, so no one is playing the victim.

Of course, if a black guy was making the same statements, I am sure you would've changed the scope of your statement.

What I have to ask is whether or not the article said anything about low-income housing, or did you assume it merely because we are talking about integration?

Either way, the point is not only moot, it's actually touched on in detail in the video in the OP. Prof. Jensen does make mention at least twice that solving the race issue is going to be difficult for whites because they've benefitted from the status quo for so long, and don't want to give up what they think they've earned.

Now, I personally agree with Prof. Jensen, but I don't agree that anyone has to give up on anything . . . . that is unless, you don't want to give up on living in a neighborhood filled with people of the same race and creed.

On the contrary, after reading the article, nothing was said about low-income housing, unless you think low-income and affordable are the same thing or that affordable means projects and apartments for blacks.

Just curious because this well written article proves you that concept totally wrong, and a little off base.

Agreed, and when you take a look at the issues in S. Africa, it becomes ever more the truth. That country will probably never get over it's racial issues, and what's worse is that the whites over there play the victim more so than the blacks in the US.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is poor analogy. Systematic repression of generations is different from the short sharp genocide conducting by the Nazis in WWII. I'm not sure what the economic status of jews in Germany was compared to today—though I'm sure it's common sense—but, considering the population is roughly half what in was in 1933, I'm not sure you can argue that the Holocaust "doesn't seem to have much impact...today."

Also, of course, that's hard to argue because of the creation of Israel, a modern economic state that pulled refugees out of France and Germany (and later Russia and Poland).

19. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It kind of goes hand in hand with the original video. When you suffer from the effects of a supremacist culture you end up doing your best to defend it.

There are four posts that make mention to blacks doing this and that and blacks playing the victim. Yet the video is of a white guy talking about the roots of the race problem. Nothing about whites having to feel guilty, just that they need to understand that they are the cause and the eventual fix to a problem.

20. TSE, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

TSE macrumors 68030

This is way too complex of an issue and so many layers that it cannot be simplified from either side.

21. AhmedFaisal, Sep 1, 2013
  22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Black America is in for a real shocker over the next few decades.

White Americans don't breed all that fast, and we don't get too many white immigrants, so the day of a non-white majority is coming soon.

Lets see how Asians, Indians and Hispanics, groups which historically have no love for blacks do with catering, pandering, and coddling black communities.

Will be real interesting.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

:confused:

Not much else to add.

Just confused.

And maybe a little ... :eek:

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

Where as black communities have been repressed over hundreds of years.

No doubt the jews went through a horrific ordeal but it was for a (relatively) short amount of time, and they had developed economies before the holocaust and had the knowledge to get back on their feet..... they also had a helping hand by the UK and USA displacing arabs to give the jews their own land.... where as after the abolition of slavery options of building a home/life/community where more limited by land ownership.

But of course in your view fundamental changes in attitude toward race in society happen in just mere months yeah?:rolleyes:

Or are you just whitewashing over history claiming that its null and void in the modern age?

25. AhmedFaisal, Sep 2, 2013