The corporate takeover of U.S. intelligence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 2, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

salon

2. Queso macrumors G4

I wonder if Rome went this way before it fell. Every hand in the trough and a huge upswing in paranoia from those in power.

It does make you wonder though. Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the United States? I can't imagine the people in every state feeling the same way about what is happening, and the rift over time could widen until a breaking point is reached. What happens then?

Someone here will likely come back and say the Democrats will turn it back if they win in 2008. I hope so, but has it gone too far?

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The Roman Legions, once filled by the world's finest army, became largely made up of the people they conquered.

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just thought I'd toss this into the conversation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Prince
    Looks like you lot are in serious trouble, and, by extension, we are, too. Your warmaking and intelligence are both now largely out of your hands.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Under “Urban Legends” this is a partial quote which has been widely distributed on the “intertubes” since the 2000 elections fiasco. I cannot find an Alexander Tyler (there’s a Tylet) who had tenure as a professor at Edinborough, nor verify the authorship of the quote, though its content does provoke some thought. It reads:

At about the time the original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in the year 1787, Alexander Tyler (a Scottish history professor at The University of Edinborough) had this to say about "The Fall of The Athenian Republic" some 2,000 years prior:

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

Admittedly, Snopes.com is not regarded as the bastion of dependability for research.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Now THAT we are well on our way to achieving. Sounds like the platform of a few people I know running for prez the next time around.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wouldn't that be just about all of them? They're all doing it in some way or another.

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What if the corporations were to start hiring government officials like the president of the United States for example, would that be called reversed outsourcing? :cool:

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It sounds quite provocative, but to how many democracies can you actually apply it? Certainly not to Athens, for a start, and Rome hadn't been a democracy for centuries, if indeed it ever was. Whoever Alexander Tyler may or may not have been, he was a bit of a twat.

11. Queso macrumors G4

As opposed to the current bunch, where all the benefits go right into their own thieving pockets?

Remind me what the US budget deficit is again :rolleyes:

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Like who?

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Ah yes who will be the next CEO of Fleecetheustaxpayers.gov

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would agree, the party that runs govt gets to pick and choose laws they will enforce and ones they will ignore, special interests pork they will push and others they will shut down and allways shaft the American tax payer with bloated military projects, billions in a political space program and false wars drummed up for personal reasons. Its time to outlaw all partys and outlaw the bastards known as lobbyist who are destroying our democracy for greedy money hungry draft dodging politicians who arent worth their weight in salt or bird poo.

There was a war between the peoples voice and the politicians purse strings and the people lost. Look at Bush, he thinks we are suppose to follow him when he is suppose to represent us. Corporations own our govt both democrats and republicans. Its discusting to real Americans. The Federal govt is nothing but a big lie paid for by the American taxpayer.

Our own Border is a big example how the corporations own our politicians, drugs,illegals,terrorist walking in everyday during Bushco's war and what have they done? The Federal Govt is a lie, itswhy we need to get the power back to the states.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the washpost runs a story about it:

16. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Reads like communist propaganda.
    Not calling you a commi propagandist xsedrinam.

If you were an informed American you could avoid this.
    If you were an informed American you could vote for people who know to avoid this. You could run for office yourself, like Ron Paul.

For those who want to know where they find crazy people to run A-symmetrical on us, aka terrorists, look at Blackwater USA. They even call Bush "emperor".

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Large-scale outsourcing of your intelligence work. Well, I can die now -- I've seen it all. :(

Does anybody remember back in, I think, the third year of this grotesque freak show called the Bush administration, that Bush decided to let go or transfer a whole lot of career CIA employees, and replace them with people of his own selection?

At the time, we all thought it was only because the CIA knew where the skeletons were buried re: Iraq. They had the info that proved that Bush & Cheney manipulated the data. Moreover, a number of CIA professionals were grumbling at the way they were used -- in every sense of that word -- by the administration. So they were moved or canned.

Now, apparently, we know that there was a secondary purpose: to bring more of the Bush mafia's private industry friends on board.

It's why I wanna retch every time I hear the dumbbell-in-chief talk about patriotism and duty to country. He doesn't believe in them. Everything in this goddamn country is about money!! :mad:

It makes me sick.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Shut up about Ron Paul. He is exactly the type of candidate that would be in favor of something like this. Forget the government, let private business deal with it. That's what he (and all other libertarians) are like. Corporate run government.

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Exactly, and that is why nothing will ever change. Nobody can run for office unless they have tens of millions of dollars, and the only way to get that is through corporate donations. This country will never have a President that represents the people; only one that represents corporate interests.

20. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

It doesn't always have to be a corporation to be the financier. What the US needs is another Joseph P. Kennedy and JFK/Bobby Kennedy combination. Although if the President/would be President could be assassinated by the CIA in the 60's imagine what they could do now.

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Welcome to the brave new world of black budgets with little or no oversight.

A new world where public employees are immune to the laws of the land,
    where there is no paper trail and no one "important" testifies under oath.

A world where the stamp "classified" applies to anything illegal, treasonous or politically embarrassing.

All with an annual budget large enough to buy Apple Computer several times
    over.