Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnxgenral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
So strap in because even after having been an avid Mac user for years this one really gets me.

So it all started about a month ago, my Late 2008 MBP Unibody crashed and I lost everything, I learned the hard way that I need to keep a backup. Anyways, I am currently a student at Purdue University so the nearest apple store was all the way in Indianapolis which is about 1.5 hours there and 1.5 hours back. Anyways, having been so loyal to apple and gotten such great customer service in the past I accepted the fact that I needed to drive to Indy and leave my computer there for 7 days to get it fixed. Anyways, long story short it took them 7 days to reformat the hard drive and reinstall OSX 10.6. Ok, if that fixed the problem, I'll be happy, 7 days to do what takes 20 minutes but I was being patient something I usually do not practice.

So i get the computer back and everything seems to be working, for about an hour... Eventually the computer begins to lock up, the volleyball of death, you name it, the thing wouldn't act stable for more than 45 minutes. This lead me to believe that they just reinstalled OSX and didn't run any hardware stability tests or anything. I was upset.

I came home this weekend because I am pretty sick and I needed a few days to recover. Home is in Wisconsin. I eventually told my mom all about the problem and that I couldn't get any of my homework done, it was just a living hell.

Heres where the craziness happens. While I was asleep my complete computer illiterate mom went over to the apple store with my macbook pro and demanded that she get a new one. Keep in mind my apple care is up next month and this thing is about a year old. After 2 hours there, she came home with a brand new in the box 2.6 GHz Macbook Pro... when I had the 2.4Ghz model... I'm just blown away.

I guess it goes to show, moms still know best.

Typing on my brand new 2.6 MBP,
Jack :apple:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
So the moral of your story is that you have your mother fight your battles for you?
If my mom can get me a brand new updated macbook pro for my old buggy one I would let her fight my battles too lol :D

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
brilliant...awesome story...lucky you!
next time i'll make sure i take my mom with me to the apple store for any repair:D

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
okay this is kinda creepy haha. so i sent my macbook alu. in for repairs and i guess apple lost it but said i shipped in an empty box so they could blame it on me.. so i get my mom to call them and she ends up getting me a replacement macbook pro and ilife for free... moms do rock :)

richu96

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
Minnesota
Awesome! When I bought my mac I didn't know about this site, otherwise I would have heard the rumors about the next update. If I had waited a little over a month I could have gotten a newer more powerful macbook. I wish I could have had a reason to return it like that!

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
So the moral of your story is that you have your mother fight your battles for you?

Older experienced people fare better in battling with stores. Think back to your days working ****** retail jobs, what scared you more? A hipster, or an angry 48 year old mother?

CompanionCube

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2009
This is the problem with the young people of today. I bet Mommy still buys your clothes, pays your bills, and bought you the Mac in the first place.

Learn to take care of your own problems first and stop sucking off lifes tit.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
This is the problem with the young people of today. I bet Mommy still buys your clothes, pays your bills, and bought you the Mac in the first place.

Nothing in his post give us any reason to believe he asked or encouraged his mother to help him with this. :rolleyes:

Brilliant story. :D

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity

This is the real problem with people today, thinking they can sign on to MR and condescend their own hidden shortcomings and tell people how to live their lives. :rolleyes:

Anyway, great story :)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

I still live with my parents, I'm only 18, I've been out of high school for barely a year, yet in that time I've had a full time job and have managed to buy a AU$3200 MacBook Pro and pay my own monthly bill for an iPhone 3GS. So who knows, the same could be the case for the OP. Don't be so presumptuous.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

What was he gonna do? Wake up, after somehow subconsciously finding out his mothers plans, and stop her? Then travel to the store, sick and infecting everyone, to 'fight his own battle'?

Mums are awesome for that kind of thing; they really know what's what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.