The Creeping Johnson

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Jun 9, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson is currently averaging 8.5% in 3-way polling, 11% in the most recent poll. It's conceivable he could reach the required 15% across five national polls to appear in the presidential debates when the time draws closer. The introduction of Johnson drags Hillary down whereas Trump is largely spared.

Having Johnson in the debates would surely damage both Clinton and Trump.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...lection_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson-5949.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...our-point-national-lead-over-trump-or-n586796

2. Robisan macrumors 6502

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Big enough to hold a Johnson. ;)

BL.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Agreed. I really did not know what to expect when clicking on this thread, which is how I like it. :D

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wonder if Johnson will adopt the FeelTheBurn hashtag.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why would Johnson drag down Clinton?

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There's a lot of never Clintons out there who were left with Trump, he adds a non-controversial option.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

With Clinton vs Trump there is only one sane option. If you are against Trump rather than for Clinton then Johnson adds in another option that you can consider. Personally if I lived in a swing state is vote for Clinton, but since I don't I'll most likely be voting for Gary Johnson in the hopes that a high performing Libertarian candidate might set the stage for Libertarians replacing Republicans as the mainstream party on the right.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair point. I think also that the polls will be inaccurate this time. People will be embarrassed to say they will vote for Hilary or Trump.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Would you be proud if you were American right now?

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

All that matters is who wins. The electoral college ensures smaller states get a say. Johnson will be the latest Nader.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Now why did you have to go on and make this political?!?

I mean, here we are talking about Creeping Johnsons, 3-ways, and big hands - the closest a G-rated thread in PRSI has come to being so dirty, and you had to go all PRSI on it!

Shame on you. :p

BL.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

MY PEEPS.

16. NT1440, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol Libertarians can't even agree on what a Libertarian is. If they became the predominate right leaning party there would be some great social benefits, but structurally it'd be like watching someone try to herd cats.

I'm wondering when the right will start treating Johnson like the left did Nadar, blaming him for the loss of their candidate when the math showed no such thing.

Edit: All I had to do was scroll up in the thread to find the same false Nadar narrative I was describing, beautiful irony!

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like the Green Party.

And Nadar did cost Gore the presidency in Florida.

18. mildocjr macrumors 65816

You mean there's a politician who's last name is Johnson and his first name isn't Harry, Kerry, or Richard!

I thought he was a key player in the Lewinski deal, guess I was wrong.

19. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Gore and the DNC cost themselves the election. I don't know why the two parties think anyone owes them their blind loyalty. If they want votes, they need to keep their end of the bargain and throw their weight behind a high quality candidate that people will like.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Gore was liked. He won the popular vote.

It's clear Nader should have done a deal over the swing states and Michael Moore tried to persuade him to.

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

No, he wasn't. Gore was condescending, came across as fake, and he was the vice president of someone who had been impeached. He was the default choice because it seemed absurd to elect an inarticulate buffoon like Dubya. He did win the popular vote, sure, but only by ~ half a percent.

Michael Moore just saw what was going to happen and made a failed hail mary. The fault ultimately lies with Gore for failing to capture enough votes that left such a thin margin to begin with.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

Years before there was the Creeping Johnson, there was this!