The current climate of universities in America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, May 28, 2016.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

A pretty detailed and case by case breakdown of events at campuses all over America. This quote is just the opening, but the whole article is a fantastic read...

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/06/03/college-campus-free-speech-thought-police-463536.html

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    David Lynch is probably feeling a little nervous right now.

Though the video in that link does end on something that's both sorta hopeful, and greatly concerning at the same time. These kids are soon to graduate, unleashed into the maelstrom of rudeness and disregard that is modern American politics. Now we like to make fun of them, call them easily bruised flowers, special snowflakes, and all that good stuff. But when you get right down to it, they're a pretty loud and aggressive bunch. They don't roll easily.

I expect two things will happen.

1. They'll become so overwhelmed by the in your face brash **** you'ness of public political discourse, they'll either wither in the onslaught, or adapt to it by accepting that there is no such thing as a right to not be offended.

2. They'll fit right in, stir things up even more, and make our already weird political scene that much stranger and more untenable.

Either way, times is about to get interesting.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Regressives reaping what they've sown.

Flayed by the idiot children of america they've created.

Eaten by their own monster.

This is priceless!

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

If you're American, then you know it is not priceless but utterly cheap and trashy.

BTW: I'm sorry you refuse to look at the whole problem, which was not brought about by a single partisan mindset. After all, your lot - who claim to hate welfare - don't mind spending far more and more of it on companies that offshore jobs. Don't you ever pay attention to their voting records?

http://www.ontheissues.org/SenateVote/Party_2005-63.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/25/government-subsidies-corporations_n_1912835.html
    etc

Plenty of contributors on both sides...
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2016 ---

"Times is about to get interesting" has been going on for several decades. If not centuries: http://freakonomics.com/2007/11/06/...f-dirty-politics-a-qa-on-anything-for-a-vote/

People act as if this stuff never happened in the past. Politics, dirty politics, even happened before the hippie revolution.

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Well, I certainly hope this doesn't become as widespread as the articles suggests it already is.

Colleges have been centers of liberal thought and activism for a while. That's not new. Remember the Civil Rights era and Kent State and all that? The difference is, those students were fighting for worthy causes: an end to an unjust war and widespread civil rights. And of course, the government at the time couldn't stand it. As Nixon said, "the professors are the enemy". Now students are fighting for "safe spaces" and censorship of academia. The students are actually at odds with their already liberal professors.

By all definitions, I'm "liberal". I'm an NPR-listening, Bernie-supporting, Bay Area liberal. But these pro-censorship, anti-free speech college students scare the crap out of me. I've come into contact with attitudes like theirs on other websites, and despite the fact that I'm clearly liberal and agree with many of their ideas, if I disagreed on one thing (such as the overzealous use of the word "racist"), I was immediately labeled a bigoted far-right fascist. Or told that my opinion doesn't matter because I'm white (by other white people, mind you!) They're extremists, and completely unreasonable, just like all extremists.

I'm starting college this fall and I really hope that my experience is not as negative as my experience on the internet with these people was. I also hope that, as someone who will be studying in the humanities, that I don't come across this trigger warning, safe spaces, censorship BS. I hope this is all just a fad that will die out soon.

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Starting this fall? Good luck man. Good luck. It was there 25 years ago with early PC activism and it's only worse today. Just don't share your view of safe places with anyone, they might label you a right wing, racist homophobe and expel you.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I'm jealous. honestly this sjw PC crap is being overplayed on these forums and everywhere else, but if you are in a non-STEM major, you might get exposed to more of it than the STEM people.

It definitely does exist, but as long as you keep an open mind, its all good.

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have both a BS and MS degree in a STEM field, so in many cases have been isolated from this sort of stuff.

At the same time, however, I went to a liberal arts undergraduate college so was exposed to quite a few different fields.

One of my most enjoyable classes I had was a sociology class that I took my senior year. The professor and I pretty quickly realized that we were on opposite ends of the political spectrum but none the less developed a good rapport. He would say things completely off the wall, and pretty much knew that I was the only one who would challenge him on things. In most cases, I would say things that I didn't even agree with, but it would get good discussions going in class and even if no one's opinion changed, a good class would end with everyone(or at least everyone paying attention) at least seeing some different perspectives even if it didn't change their minds.

Ultimately, even if that class didn't do a lot to change my opinions on the topics discussed, hearing different perspectives fleshed out did make me realize where people were coming from. I don't know if that would have happened if the professor had just simply stood up and made(intentionally) provocative statements without anyone taking the bait. I went to his office a few times, and he repeatedly thanked me for realizing that he was just trying to stir up discussion and appreciated my being complicit in it :)

I say all that to make the point that college is a place where what you believe SHOULD be challenged. Listening to or conversing with people you disagree with will likely have one of two effects. The first possibility is that the person may present a compelling enough argument that you will at least give their position some thought and realize that it(usually) isn't simply a black and white issue. The second possibility is that hearing someone you disagree can make you even MORE firm in your beliefs.

Any reasonable, open minded person will see the value in either of the above happening.

And, yes, colleges SHOULD be a safe place. The problem with many people of my generation and younger is that they think "safe place" ideology means they should be insulated in a bubble from hearing things they don't want to hear. The reality is that it's a "safe place" because people are free to express their views, but should be equally open to having those views critiqued, examined, and challenged. This is also the where the concepts of academic freedom and tenure come from.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Don't get dreadlocks, brah!

10. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

It's not just American universities that have gone bonkers; UK ones are just as bad.

I predict that the whole system will soon collapse, as universities have lost their original purpose as centres of learning for the academically gifted. Degrees have been devalued to the point of worthlessness. Far too many people go to university; instead of the current 50%, it should be closer to 5-10%. Above all, the culture of them has to change fundamentally. The requirement that departments have to do research in order to get money is ludicrous and highly destructive. The role of universities is to teach and research; neither should be given preferential status.

The barmy political correctness is a manifestation of the lowering of standards due to letting in too many people who lack intellectual credibility. The rot starts at the top; it is the professors who are ultimately to blame. Universities have become the last refuge of the loony liberals, greatly at odds with the general populace. It would be better for them to all become private, so that there would be accountability to the people who actually want a decent education, not an indoctrination into political correctness.

The great and the good of England come mostly from private schools, because most state schools, with some honourable exceptions, offer a hugely inferior education. Our universities, which have remained state-owned, have now fallen into the same decrepit condition. Privatisation is the answer.

11. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i just keep my beatle haircut

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Hippie. :mad:

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm a long-retired professional engineer with beaucoup time to mess around on the Internet. I'm a numbers guy, having done a bunch of design work and cost estimating. I tend to spend an hour or more, daily, on economic/fiscal/monetary information.

IMO opinion, if one regards college as a prep to make a living, go hard science or forget college debt and go blue-collar trades. I know married couples who gross $50k to $80k a year doing lawn maintenance in a small southeastern city. I figure my cost on my backhoe after I dropped out of organized employment was around $15/hr, max, but in south Georgia I could bill well over $50/hr and easily work more than just half-time.

Looks like the primary pool of baristas and burger flippers is made up of non-tech bachelor degrees. Good odds that won't improve any, the next five or ten years.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

as a berkeley graduate i take that as a compliment of the highest order

15. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

The whole point is that college shouldn’t be a prep for making a living; it is a place for academic learning.

If you want to earn some money, just go ahead and do it. Steve Jobs was a dropout, and look where it got him.

16. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Compulsory national service is what we need in the leaderless West.

17. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

Agreed. I want to go to college and study what I love in-depth. Granted, part of me foresees myself becoming a teacher or professor, so academia would be my "field" anyway, but even if I could make good money now out of high school, I wouldn't turn down a higher education.

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'm waiting for a version of TV's Survivor, where these privileged ingrate Commies in training get yanked out of school, parents barred from sending them money, and the kids are forced to get a job, or hit the skids.

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Parents barred from sending their kids money? Lol, you are an actual communist.

20. FieldingMellish, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016

FieldingMellish Suspended

It's genius, actually. Sex drugs and Rock'n Roll was the lame means of reducing America's future might. Compared to presently raising kids as America's cancer - privileged little wieners with an outrage problem beyond their years, combined with a hard-on for America.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

On the front of racial oppression, I've come to the conclusion that people are more easily offended now than before. When I was in university, one could easily get away with making sweeping generalizations but would go through a witch hunt now. I recall a short period about a decade back where one was easily labeled as an oppressor simply for using the term "African American."

22. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No we don't.. Privates and lieutenants that want to be there are bad enough.

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Plus there's always the underachieving high school student who goes into the marines, screws up their credit and becomes a wash out.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

They were fighting to save their middle-class asses from going to war. The idea that this was selfless activism is nonsense. I grew up on the tail end of the baby boomer's, but consider myself Gen X. Living near DC, I used to watch the boomers go off to protests in DC, which was basically just an excuse to get high/drunk and to avoid having to go to school. The end result of all this 'patriotism' was that only poor men and the sons of military families fought the war, veterans were treated like trash when they returned from Indochina, and the withdrawal of US forces resulted in genocide in Cambodia. Now the same generation that gave us those protests are the ones steadfastly ruining things for the subsequent generations. Talk about hypocrisy.