The Current State of Neoliberalism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by smallcoffee, Aug 21, 2016.

1. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

I thought this was a pretty great "status update" on neoliberalism.

Link

So I don't want this to be about Trump because he was mentioned here. I only provided the quote because it supports the article and the general discussion about American hegemony and the underlying revolt of regular people which shows through both Bernie Sanders and Trump, but also with Brexit.

What do you guys think?

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think the country is ready to revolt no matter who gets elected. Both parties are in it for themselves and only themselves. They spend our money to keep themselves in power and the people are tired of it. Whether or not this is just a political revolution or if it becomes more violent that it already has remains to be seen.

I for one would love to see a strong 3rd party emerge. The far ends can have their 2 parties and let the middle 60% run things for a while.

3. smallcoffee thread starter macrumors 65816

Do what I'm doing and vote 3rd party, either Green or Libertarian since they seem to be the second most notable parties.

4. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I will Trump will win my state easily so I am going with Johnson.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Sounds no worse than neoconservatism?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2016 ---
    Why? Doesn't he support the same neoliberal values and causes? Or, perhaps, if all candidates support something, are the underlying reasons always identical?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two party dominance has been in place virtually since the inception of this country. It's a byproduct of a one-vote, winner-take all system. This will not change until we change the conditions under which we select our representatives.

7. jerwin macrumors 68000

You can certainly argue that. It helps if neo-"whateverism" is defined imprecisely.