Many rumours have been thrown around those wacky tubes of the interweb about how Apple is nearing completion of Snow Leopard (10.6) and that the OS could see RTM anywhere from the 1st quarter of 2009 to June-ish. However, it would appear that Snow Leopard is actually a long, long way off. If Apple was at all prepared for a mid-2009 release, we would have seen a new developer's build at Macworld. Since Apple had absolutely zero information about 10.6 at Macworld and has only demonstrated a couple of extremely preliminary, pre-beta builds to a select few developers, it stands to reason that they are in no way close to a 10.6 release. Based upon the recent Win 7 Beta, it is apparent that we will certainly see Windows 7 before Snow Leopard. Apple doesn't even have a coherent beta build available yet--the developer's builds are extremely buggy and aren't even close to being feature locked. This certainly doesn't convey the idea that the OS is only a few months away from being complete. I think Apple's biggest hangup with Mac OS 10.6 is that they still haven't decided what to do with the 64bit issue. They have a few (less than ideal) options here: (1) Make 10.6 pure x64 only, preventing anyone with a machine that is not a Core 2 or above from running it and breaking compatibility with any pre-10.6 driver/framework/extension. Since they would not even bother with any kind of x32 support (let alone PPC support), I could see this pissing off a lot of people. (2) Make it a hodgepodge of x32 and x64 code (like 10.5), but this time with some real x64 effort (i.e. bundled programs recompiled, etc...), but still not have a true x64 kernel or kernel-mode drivers. (3) Split 10.6 into two separate strains--like MS does for Windows--with the 10.6 installer disc deciding to install either the x32 or the x64 version respectively, depending on the encountered CPU. With this third option, all applications, drivers, frameworks, etc... complied for use on 10.6 would become mandatory "Universal i386" binaries containing both x32 and x64 code instead of the current x32/PPC code (as Apple has killed PPC anyway, for better or worse). Users with the x64-only strain will not be able to use any legacy x32-era drivers or extensions, just like Win 6/7 x64 users cannot use any 32bit device drivers. Any ideas/comments on which of the three Apple might choose? It seems like the third option would be the most attractive, as (2) would be the half-assed x64 commitment and (1) would probably create a "legacy hardware support" backlash (a la Vista) and would hinder adoption of 10.6.