The Cycle of Fake News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SteveJobzniak, May 31, 2017.

1. SteveJobzniak Suspended

SteveJobzniak

4UmiZZX.png

Pathetic. We're so used to the tabloid Counterfeit News Network pulling this pathetic garbage. Like 1) Comey must be fired, 2) Trump fires Comey, 3) Why did Trump fire Comey? Russia, Russia, Russia!

2. elistan macrumors 6502a

The first one says "Editor's note: Heather Boushey is the executive director of the Washington Center for Equitable Growth, and former chief economist for Hillary Clinton's transition team. She is also the author of "Finding Time: The Economics of Work-Life Conflict," from Harvard University Press. Katie Bethell is the executive director of Paid Leave for the US, a new national nonpartisan organization dedicated to winning paid family leave for everyone in the United States. The views expressed in this commentary are their own."
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/04/opinions/paid-family-leave-for-all-boushey-bethell/

That third one says "Editor's note: Vanessa Brown Calder is a policy analyst at the Cato Institute, where she focuses on social welfare, housing and urban policy. The views expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author."
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/opinions/trump-budget-paid-leave-calder-opinion/

God forbid a news publication allows people to express differing opinions.

There's absolutely nothing fake about this whatsoever.

3. chown33, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

chown33 macrumors 604

The one thing I would suggest is the opinion articles could be more clearly labeled as such. I recognize the headers are different, but maybe make the opinions header say "opinions" instead of just being a plain black bar.

I also realize that the URLs have the word "opinions" in them, but mobile browsers may not show that, or may not show it fully. Hard to say without knowing how the OP's screen captures came about.

On the other hand, I've literally never visited CNN's website, so maybe the only way you can get to these articles is by clicking on a link that plainly says "Opinions" or "Op-ed". In that case, I'd blame the reader for not knowing what they clicked on or how they got there.

As much as reading comprehension is your friend, so, too, is good webpage navigational design.

EDIT
    Having now visited the opinion articles, I see that the black header bars do in fact show "Opinions", and are not blank as the screen shot shows.

This was tested on a Mac, using either Safari or Firefox as the browser, with and without JavaScript enabled. I can't fault the webpage design, as it clearly labels the content as opinions.

I don't know how the OP's screen shots were produced, or on what platform, but if the browser is omitting important contextual cues like the label "Opinions", then maybe it's time to consider a different browser or platform.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Ah yes, titles, nothing says fake news like titles with no context.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's because context would show that two out of the three are actually editorials and not "fake news". However, that would mess up the narrative that the OP is trying to sell. However by trying to strip out context to sell the narrative that the media is against Trump the OP is actually acting about like he is trying to accuse the media of acting.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We are certainly scraping the bottom of the barrel in our attempts to portray CNN as some kind of den of corruption.

A news article, buttressed by two op-ed pieces, one for and one against.

I mean, the very idea!

7. elistan macrumors 6502a

Here's how it looks like on my iPad.

So I did find something fake - OP's post which has a picture that was most likely been edited to elicit outrage. You either fell for fake news about fake news, OP, or are deliberately desseminating fake news.

Attached Files:

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I suppose it is possible that the OP had some weird bug in their ad blocking software that obscured the opinion marker, however you are probably right that they either fell for a fake story about fake news or are trying to create one.

I'm curious to see if the OP makes another appearance in this thread or not.

9. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Leave it to the OP to bitch slap his own thread. :Do_O

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like CNN has opinion pieces from people from both sides of the debate. Sounds like they are a source of integrity.

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

If you aren't able to read more than 140 characters at a time, it does pose a problem. However, I recommend practicing the reading skills until it's possible to read an entire news article. Maybe even a book.

This text above includes more that 140 characters, including space and punctuation, and now it's even more. See how easy it is!

EDIT:

Doh! We've been had :D

It's a pun. :rolleyes:

12. Zenithal Suspended

Really should start a charity drive to buy everyone a dictionary.

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

Perhaps OP is Russian plant. The disinformation continues.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2017 ---
    Hey that what the HEK's his name?

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

America has forgotten to READ.

(well, make that the world.)

15. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

So, then, the real story here is that screenshots can be massaged into pretending to be "news".

I've seen this same one passing through my FB feed lately, being passed around by people who think all news is fake. Turns out they're getting duped just as well.

But will they admit to getting duped? Ha! Not at all. They've made up their minds.

Me? I thought this pic was stupid to begin with, so I didn't bother following up to see what it came from.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm disappointed that the OP, @SteveJobzniak seems to be ignoring his own thread and not adding anything to it beyond the initial post.

17. niploteksi macrumors regular

Most likely he or she has a thousand other boards to post this to.

18. HEK Suspended

HEK

Exactly, not easy being Russian mole blogger. :D

19. samcraig macrumors P6

It's possible the OP grabbed this from somewhere else (the image) and reposted here without actually verifying.

Irony indeed.

20. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

The drive-thru has been _slammed_.

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

We should go back to the Cold War days when America was GREAT! :p