The Daily Mail is on crack...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MorphingDragon, Jul 14, 2012.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

What a bunch of unmitigated toss pots. I thought the level that NZ had to go to when hosting the Rugby World Cup was over the top. This is just asinine to the nth degree.

KGB:rolleyes:

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Isn't the Daily Mail the UK equivalent of The Enquirer?

AKA: Crap, The Onion has more credibility than the Enquirer, etc......

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Are you disputing the thrust of the article, or just passing through??

6. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I'm not disputing the thrust of the article, but I am disputing the truth of the article. ;)

From what I gather of the UK media, the Daily Mail is a trash bin tabloid which publishes horribly inaccurate articles. Like the Enquirer here in the US which posts ridiculous stories like Hillary kicking Bill out( one of the latest ones I saw at the grocery store as the front cover), revealing who was Travolta's secret gay lover, etc.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, for now, I will take it on merit, unless of course you can refute something/anything in the article?

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Think this video is enough proof we can't take this article seriously.....

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, I saw that already, and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

But even the National Inquirer has managed to get things "right", of late, so let us wait until all the chips are counted, the better to see who is the winner.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Didn't the only thing they managed to get right was the whole Tiger Woods ordeal?

11. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I tend to think of the Daily Mail as more like Fox news (when I had Sky Tv). It has a very specific agenda and is surprisingly widely read. I recognised a lot of what was in that article from other news but what they do 'well' is to string together otherwise unrelated stories into a story 'arc' that serves their political agenda and niggles away at conservatives (small c) sense of fear and that they're being taken for a ride by a liberal elite. It's actually very popular with women. (I guess that's bit like the US soccer mum thing.)

12. Happybunny, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Happybunny macrumors 68000

The DM is in fact the second most read newspaper in the UK. :p

That bastion of taste the the Sun is still number one.

As this is article from the DM I was very surprised, not to see a mention that this clamp down was really all a EU plot.:D

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Daily Mail appears to have a point though...

14. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I can't actually find any other news article describing what is happening.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Certainly, the threats of legal action against the small businesses have also been mentioned by a couple of other media sources.

Unfortunately, sponsorship is a necessary evil but events such as the Olympics and World Cup often overstep the mark completely. I understand and accept that the 'partners' are entitled to want protection of the sponsorship rights they paid for, but I don't think it excuses such heavy handedness.

There's this from the BBC which mentions some of the stuff in the Daily Mail article.

16. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I think Jaffa Cake is right. There's a lack of 'fizz' about the the games at the moment. (The torch carrying was great). I think part of the reason is that the sponsors desire to get a return on what is probably massive outlays mean that it sort of feels it's their games not ours.

What's going on no longer feels like generous sponsorship - it's reinforcing exclusivity and privilege. We're not daft, we know there's a difference between sponsorship and a plain old fashioned fee to get an exclusive monopoly.

I think it's counter productive. For example I actually now think less of Visa than I did before the games. If the companies concerned had been more confident and allowed local / small businesses to stick up posters, make up daft menu items etc etc we'd all feel so much more involved about the games and them.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I definitely agree.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm very glad I'm not in London, I didn't watch the torch as it came through our town, and I won't be watching the Games [looks around the corner for any sight of the trademark police]. More and more I am becoming convinced that the Olympics has lost its soul and its meaning, and that it gets more and more corrupt with each iteration [almost as bad as the FIFA World Cup]. What a waste of time, resources, and money. I wonder if the London games will wind up like the Millennium Dome - a failure because it's more flash than substance.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    You didn't look hard because the BBC posted a similar article three days ago, I posted about my own experience two days again in the Oly thread too. Sky News covered it yesterday.

Go to the official Games™ website and you'll see their section covering use of their trademarks. Full lawyer-fest.

What was the response from one of the chairmen for the Games on the news yesterday? ...

'Everyone can participate in the Olympics by downloading their mobile Apps from their website.' LOL :D

The Games for the host nation should be for everyone, all people, all businesses. It should be good for spirit and the economy. All the streets round where I am (in the City centre) are devoid of any Olympic advertising or branding. You wouldn't even know the Games™ are two weeks away. Bizarre.

20. Fazzy macrumors 6502

I was just about to post this again. This video must be shared every time the dm is in the spotlight for its stupidity

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Which parts of the article are you disputing again?

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even a broken analog clock shows the correct time twice a day.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

You know times are changing when you gotta throw analog in there :D

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that the DM being right twice, is one of the signs that the apocalypse is near.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Self preservation, from the slings and arrows crowd. ;)

Just an infinite number of monkeys, on an infinite number of keyboards.