The Dangerous Acceptance of Donald Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 26, 2016.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Another day in which the media and the defeated Republicans talk as if Trump was just another candidate they didn't like. The acceptance that this is normal. It reminds me of a once-current play, The Firebugs (AKA The Fire Raisers), by Max Frisch; the play was taken at the time to be a warning about Communism, although, the author intended it to be interpreted as about Nazism. Either or both. Or Trumpism.

From a New Yorker op-ed:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-dangerous-acceptance-of-donald-trump

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Assuming that the worst case scenario comes to pass, and Trump styles himself a new emperor of a freshly minted Imperial America, I have serious doubts he'll manage to get very far.

One of the most obnoxious things about our politics is also one of our greatest strengths. We don't think of our presidents as our leaders or kings, just some dip**** stupid enough to take the job. Far from being beyond reproach, we criticize them for every little thing they do. It's the same with congress, and the Supreme Court. No single people in any of our branches are truly important to the day to day function of the government, and they certainly don't override the true core of American power: the constitution. The good thing is that everyone currently in a position of power in our government, from the military, to our parties, to our social workers out on the street, are very well aware of this fact.

Say what you will about the Democrats or Republicans, despite their differences in interpretation, they're both well aware we live in a liberal democracy/republic, and will very quickly come together, and draw a line in the sand if any one branch of our government truly and honestly oversteps their boundaries.

I say this because for Trump to become a dictator, he'll have to have the backing of our military. For him to use our military domestically, he'll need the backing of congress and the senate. For him to implement any military plan smoothly, he'll need the backing of our various state governments. For him to quell the populace, he'll have to contend with an armed populace.

Our checks and balances are very securely in place to prevent a worst case scenario Trump. What are the chances that the military will agree to a state of nationwide martial law, and suppress the citizenry it's sworn to protect by going against the constitution its sworn to uphold? What are the chances that our do nothing Democrats and Republicans in our congress will actually kowtow to such an act? Hell, most of them don't like him anyway. What are the chances our states will allow the federal government to run roughshod over them to a degree we haven't seen since the Civil War?

Trump will only ever be just a president. He doesn't have the charisma, the political sway, or the resources to usurp the government, and install himself as a dictator. The country has weathered more dangerous men in more dire times.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If Trump wins, it's because the Democrats ran a terrible candidate like Hillary.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The Democrats best hope is for Hillary to be indicted, and quickly, and Sanders to take the nomination. He can beat Trump.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Indeed, and that is becoming more evident every day.

6. Limey77 macrumors regular

If Trump does actually win it will show just how gullible large swathes of the US and embolden the republicans continued negative rhetoric. It will be a sad, sad day for democracy and the rule of law.

Luckily it ain't going to happen. You can keep blowing you Trump Trumpet all you like but he will fall fast come July.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I am not, nor ever have been, a Trump supporter.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Drinking the Trump Cool-aide?

(not that she does not have skeletons)
    Edit: Bernie has flaws too.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh my god, do you think it could really happen? If Trump wins, it will the end of all things? *cries* The worst part is in the bible probably.

Cliché bullcrap.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Spot on. By reading countless books, biographies, autobiographies of presidents and their staff (including the three HUGELY IMMENSE tomes by Kissinger) one thing is clear. When, after an election, they step inside the office they quickly realize that 95% of what they promised, thought, and believed can't be done. The system is way stronger than they are.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

All I can say is that people in my patch of the UK think that Americans have taken leave of their senses. Even more so now than during Dubya. Mind you, they had an even worse impression of Cruz than Trump.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

The problem is that people from other countries (including the US and myself) should stop looking at the domestic policy/politics of other countries.
    If you look among the candidates Trump is exactly what most of the people living in the European countries wanted after Dubya (only exception is the immigration policy).
    Find me another republican candidate, or another democratic candidate that:
    - Thinks that the Bushes are jerks... and says so...
    - Is fine with minimum wage
    - Wants public healthcare for those under the poverty line
    - Wants to reduce the number of bases around the globe
    - Wants to leave most decisions to the various localities
    - Wants to rethink NATO
    - Is ready to deal with Putin.

Just a few years ago this would've been the dream of every liberal in Europe.

14. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

All I can say is that very few people here give a **** about what anyone outside of our country thinks about us or our politics.

15. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Each party makes its official choice, the Democrats are aided by Superdelegates (created back during the days of McGovern, as I recall).

Numerous candidates run during every election cycle, people are not forced to vote one way or another. If that's not the case, people need to know ASAP.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Back? :eek: But that's where I want to send Trump and his followers.....on the one way mission to Mars being talked about! It would be perfect. He can be the king that he would like to be and can build some Trump hotels and golf courses where none exist. It's an untapped real estate market just waiting for him! The rest of us on earth can be rid of one more arrogant bully in the world. Win/win!
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    And because Bernie didn't run a good enough campaign. If he had only done better in the earlier states, we'd be having a different conversation.

17. VulchR, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Isolationism never really worked well, particularly for countries aspiring to global commerce and influence. Also, the opinions of one's allies are important.