The "dark" side/Fangil no more

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MsMerryMac, Mar 12, 2012.

1. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I have had an iphone 4 since launch. IPhone 4S since day one because I thought Siri was really going to be worth the upgrade. She was not. I went through three devices because I had to reboot twice a day unless I wanted to here her say "I'm sorry, I cannot connect to the network right now."

So, my boyfriends Samsung Galaxy II was looking appealing. You see, I live in a very rural town and am moving up to San Fransisco in a couple of weeks. His Galaxy actually spoke out the driving directions. Siri simply gave me a map that I can only imagine resulting in at least one fender bender. Not to mention, Siri ended up being more of a toy and more time consuming that it was worth.

Bash ALL you want, but Google has navigation down to a T and android has some pretty slick functionality even compared to the 4S, which I direct traded for the Galaxy Skyrocket at the AT&T store.:eek:

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Enjoy.

You can do navigation on the iPhone with third party apps (e.g. Navigon).

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Glad Android is working out for you :)

Really don't care which system is "better" as long as the phone does what I need. For me its the iPhone.

If someone else finds Android more to their liking then kudos. We're in the same boat as smartphone customers and competition between iPhone and Android brings out the best for us...

4. magamo macrumors 6502

I wouldn't bash, but I kind of feel like I would have enjoyed your post more if you had posted it on your personal blog.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

6. SurferMan, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

SurferMan macrumors 65816

Use your bf's first or at least buy from a store and test, that way you can see if Android is for you or not and if not you'll be able to return it (hard to get a feel for a device unless you take it home for days etc vs 15 min at the store). I bought an i777 GSII and pretty much prefer it in every way over our iPhones, but that's not to say the iPhones are bad. The tricky thing for a lot of people is their not used to Android or the customizing ability even in stock form and how to set it up. I.E. like something simple where people say "oh the icon's are so ugly and not uniform blah blah"... ok I agree, didn't occur to you to download custom themes where you can use icons w/o using the theme (which I did for a slick layout). Or "I don't like Touchwhiz so I sold the phone"... did they not think to try other launchers? I use Go Launcher EX and love it. Or didn't like the stock keyboard, or browser or pretty much anything... simple, go to the market and try the tons of replacements, that's the beauty of Android, make the phone to your liking. Just like how I jailbreak the iPhones b/c I can't stand stock iOS and it's restrictions.

You never know, you may use it and then decide to still stick to iPhone.

edit - ok weird, somehow I missed that bottom sentence where you already traded it.

7. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Lol I agree.

8. cynics macrumors G3

This forum has as much talk about Android as Android forums do.

9. noobinator macrumors 601

Mapquest app is free and will speak to you all you want.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I don't have problems with Android. In fact, I kinda like how ICS looks and works on G-Nex.

But I really hate the way Android OEMs sell hardwares. Dirty cheap trick with many double dip on a very short period of time.

You buy Droid RAZR only to find out you can get Droid RAZR Maxx with better battery and flattened back (which looks infinitely better).

Same case with regular SGS II and Skyrocket.

Or HTC Sensation and now there is Sensation XE and XL.

What's with the double dip trick? You may say, "Oh you can always sell it and upgrade to the new revision" .. Yeah but it would be worth much less now the revised version is available. Why would people buy the "old" version, unless you sell it for significantly less? So much loss in a short period of time. Why not release them at the first place?

You may argue iPhone 4S also a revision and fix of what iPhone 4 should've been. Yes it is, but Apple did it on regular iPhone life cycle, it was the time for refreshed iPhone. Not within months just to smack it IN YOUR FACE that your hi-end Android is no longer the highest end anymore just weeks after you buy it.

Plus the update is super slow, what's with that? ICS has been out for how many months now? And G-Nex is still the only one that can enjoy it OFFICIALLY. Why not create a generic update instead of waiting update from each OEM or carrier? Oh yeah, it's the custom UI things which make them slow! :rolleyes: iOS 5.1 released just one week ago and most capable iOS device has been enjoying them. Nice easy and fast.

11. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Yup, the real problem with android is the OEMs and google. OEMs really don't care as long as their shiny new phones are sold. They would drop android and run to another OS if that OS gave them double or triple the amount they were selling with android. Google with their poor handling is also the cause.

A good OS is simply getting wasted IMO.

12. Furifo macrumors 6502

I'm currently on a Galaxy Nexus after switching from a 4.

The good:
    - Very open compared to iOS, loving the customisation options

- 720p videos look simply amazing on the 720 x 1280 display. Even though the screen is PenTile, it looks incredible with very vivid colours (although text on the iPhone 4/4s is a tad sharper)

- Personally, I find widgets extremely useful and use them ALOT throughout my day

- I've dropped this HARD onto concrete by mistake. Not a single scratch and working like it was just out of the box.

The bad:
    - The speaker on this phone is quiet. I hardly ever use the speaker (vibrate most of the time and if I'm watching video, I ALWAYS put in my headphones) however, the speaker on the iPhone 4s simply blows this one right out of the water

- The camera is decent but not good enough for a phone of this price. The camera on the iPhone 4s is amazing and again, destroys the camera on the galaxy nexus

- In my eyes, text is sharper on the 4s (although colours, especially greens and blacks, are much more vivid on the galaxy nexus)

- Aluminium feels MUCH nicer to touch and hold than the plastic crap Samsung INSIST on using

- iOS just seems a slightly faster and and pinch to zooms slightly more smoothly and scrolls slightly more smoothly. This makes iOS just seem more polished and more 'finished' than ICS does although Google have done a really good job with ICS imo.

- We, Android users, do not have Plants Vs Zombies. We... er... have the er... knockoff version known as Pumpkins Vs Monsters. Fail. :mad: Good thing I have my iPad :D

Having extensively used both Android and iOS, I prefer neither. Both let me get through my day perfectly well in their separate ways.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You can trade in phones at the AT&T Store?

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

Different phones work differently for all of us. It's great that you discovered that the Skyrocket works best for you over the iPhone. Having said that, posting that one device worked better for you than another and claiming its the better phone because of that really isn't right. In the end, it's what works best for you. iPhone users believe iPhone works best for them and android users believe their phone works best for them, that's why we choose the products we do.

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I like your unbiased review. Highlights the good points of both systems :)

As for android plants vs zombies... http://www.amazon.com/Plants-Zombies-WiFi-Download-Only/dp/B0052UZIFA

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Sorry, but you lost all credibility with the bolded... unless you consider upgrading everything but the case a 'revision and fix.' Even though it may not have looked it, the 4S was a major upgrade- one that will only become that much more apparent as iOS upgrades and the 3GS/ 4 both struggle to keep up.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Agreed :)
    - Dual core processor
    - Vastly superior camera
    - Improved video recording
    - Dual antenna system for HSPA+ speeds
    - Higher speaker output
    - Siri
    - Improved 3G battery life performance
    - GLONASS gps technology added

18. Furifo macrumors 6502

I tend not to be a fan boy with tech and prefer to remain unbiased and neutral :)

:eek: THANK YOU for that link! I have spent ages looking around the Android Market for that game!

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And sorry for asking back for your credibility too. Which parts of my post stating that iPhone 4S is a small update to 4?

It is revised, and did I implying that it's an insignificant update?

I love the dual core, improved GPU, camera, speedbump, Siri. But saying it 100% lag free ain't right either. Swipe up to camera from lock screen and there is a noticeable lag on 4S with iOS 5.1.

Major or not, 4S is a revision and fix for iPhone 4, it has the same form factor, but antenna is better, camera is better, speed is decently boosted, 1080p support, those are improvement, revision, and fix from iPhone 4. Something wrong with that?

So I really don't get your statement about me telling BS by that :rolleyes:

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That's not true. The Nexus S has officially had ICS pushed to it.

Having said that, the Nexus S hardware doesn't manage to keep up with the requirements of ICS. The device lags and hiccups a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love ICS, but owning a Nexus device to get the latest update is slightly overrated if it means my year+ old phone can't run it well due to hardware limitations. Kind of makes the second year of owning this device less enjoyable.

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I actually use Siri for iMessage. She does make a few misspells, but overall I am happy with the dictation feature. As for navigation, haven't had a need for it yet, but I was suggested to download Navigon, as someone posted above.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Agreed, which is why I have repeatedly called for a sub-forum dedicated to comparisons between iOS and other devices. Perhaps one day....

23. cynics macrumors G3

Xoom has ics too. No one really keeps up with it so there maybe more devices with it officially.

24. MsMerryMac thread starter macrumors regular

Fangil no more

Let the flaming begin. Truly. I'm ready.

I recently moved from a rural town where my iPhone was my best friend. I slept with it, carried it (NEVER put it in my purse) and coveted it like a highly sacrilegious idol.

BUt then I moved to the Bay area. And Siri began to sorely disappoint. I asked at The Alameda and she said she didn't understand "all i want is meat." After several frustrating attempts, she gave me a map, which made me pull over in a highly suspicious neighborhood and try to memorize the map.

Lo and behold my boyfriend whipped out his Samsung Galaxy II. SO MUCH LIKE iphone I could not believe it. But it gave me FREE turn by turn directions. And was so much more than a "tell me you love me" gadget that I got from Siri. Sure, Siri DOES call me Love Muffin, but when you move to the Bay area, who cares what she calls me....give me things I can use.

25. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Are you asking a question? Starting a constructive discussion?

I'm lost here. :confused:
    Congratulations, I suppose.