The darker side of iPhone users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by softypolimer, Jul 1, 2012.

1. softypolimer, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

softypolimer macrumors member

First, let me tell you that I'm not from an English speaking country. If you don't wonna read my Engrish, don't bother. This is what happened outside US

The iPhone has became a big thing in both fashion and technology today. It have a countless apps that can entertain you or assist you daily activities, make your life fun and easier. Sure, there is a ton of Smartphone out there but People still love to get their hand on it because of it's looks.

Here's the story, a lot of people here bough this phone without realizing they have to buy their own apps. So almost (not authorized) mobile shop in here offer to install their "legit" apps form their account for $15 USD! From then, people either go back to update their apps again for $15 USD or jailbreak their phone for.......

This is ridiculous, I also have a friend who use iPhone since 3g model through 4S but never pay for a single apps.

I know some apps can be expensive for us who live in poor country but paying 15 bucks for a ton of apps that never be yours is way stupid. I mean, isn't it better to have your own library to sync and backup anytime you want?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Wow... agreed. If that is the dark side of iPhone users, android users are devils and their developers might be in Hell now. We all should respect the intellectual property of others. The force will be with you always. :D

3. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Wouldn't this be the darker side of 3rd party sales reps? lol. :rolleyes:

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes, I think so.

Also, your english is great. :)

5. Siggen macrumors 6502

Why not buy your own apps for 1 dollar instead of letting others do it for 15 dollars?

I'm sure there is a good answer, but I don't get it.

6. Superbbrr macrumors member

Since when did Apple force you to buy apps? You don't have to buy a single app if you don't want to. Many apps are actually free and quite good.

Stop whining and if you want apps, earn some money and buy them. You may find it hard to believe but a long time ago, people earned money to buy the things they wanted, instead of crying and making wild accusations of "the darker side of iPhone users." :rolleyes:

7. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Dark indeed. The $15 you are paying never makes it to the developers, but instead to these opportunist crooks who buy apps once then sells them who knows how many times. And if apps are so expensive, what does that make the iPhone itself? It must be a fortune and therefore very stylish and a status symbol for the rich and, worst of all, those only feigning wealth who can't even afford apps.

8. Nand macrumors regular

Nand

And you are from what country?
    Don't pay $15 for apps, the estan robando, pelea con Los que te cobran $15, eso no es culpa de apple.
    (that's not apple fault that people are stealing From you).

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

WoW I must be lucky that I found 'free' apps, as well as paid for ones in iTunes.

:rolleyes:

10. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

If you can afford the phone you can certainly afford the apps at one, two, three bucks a piece. OP is probably talking about expensive apps like navigation, the more expensive games, apple's stuff etc.

This isn't about the darker side of iphone users, it's about the darker side of some phone shops in certain countries.

11. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Actually, it's about the darker side of people in general - both those that steal to make money, and people who pay thieves to help them to steal. But it's the name of the game nowadays - people want stuff, and they want it now, whether or not they can afford it.

Tiptopp

12. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

Considering how much a can of coca cola costs and it's gone in a few mins, I'd rather buy an app for 69p. Some people want everything for free all the time !!

13. softypolimer thread starter macrumors member

The first 2 posts got me lough so hard (nearly fall out of my chair)

Yeah, I know. There's ton of free apps in the store but for some people here technology things can be complicated especially for the elder, like they have no idea what to do in iTunes or they don't trust the electronically payment system.:eek:

I from Thailand and I do own my paid iTunes account. I just felt uneasy to those who do the dodgy business openly.

it's a horrible truth of how badly unauthorized shop treat(or cheat) their customer in here, Instead of giving them the right knowledge.

here's the evil list
    "Fill" your iPhone/iPad with legit apps = 600 baht ($15)
    Jailbreak + (Pirate) apps = 500 baht ($13)
    Price change can depends on how greedy the shop is.

By "fill" I mean, they will put ton of apps on your demand and left a little room on your phone. And 500 baht can be a lot of money in Thailand
    Does this sort of business happened any where else? Amazing isn't it?

I stared to write this thread after I tried to convince my mom to share my apps library (for free of cause) or start her own account instead of paying to those robber .We had a little fight because I don't have the "extractly" same apps and music that she had from those shop. This giving me a hard time to explain it to my old lady.

14. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Just Jack Baur your mom and steal her phone. Sell it and use the money for evil apps. Geez do we have to think if everything?

15. chdwil macrumors regular

And yet most people think its just fine to rip off movies and music companies by downloading torrents. But mention stealing an app and everyone freaks out.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

17. softypolimer thread starter macrumors member

Darn! you got me there. I used to download a lot of '80s, '90s anime years ago.:

18. chokem macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it be wise for a person whos going to spend $500-$650 on a cell phone do a little bit of research, and find out what apps they want on the phone and how much they are? This sounds an awful lot like a flame bait thread.

19. Exio macrumors regular

It'd be better to get apps off cydia than donate to the developers, instead of buying through itunes where Apple takes money away from developers.

20. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Its sounds to me like the OP is complaining about people being taken advantage of by unscrupulous iPhone sellers and "app vendors". Vendors buying apps and then selling them over and over again to people that don't understand the iTunes system, or are afraid to use electronic payment.

This is a problem we can't really understand in US because we have a different culture. We have greedy business people here, but usually there are laws that shut down the ones that are actually stealing from are taking advantage of elderly or uninformed people.

21. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Did you just read that blurb from the OP or the whole post. The OP seems as disgusted as you seem to be at the concept.

----------

There are free apps in the App Store as well as free apps in Cydia. You are free to donate to the developer in either case.

The paid apps in Cydia and the App Store have a certain percentage carved out for the store, the rest goes to the developer.

I don't see a problem here.

Also, I think you mean "then" and not "than" in your post. Otherwise you'd be against donating to the developers.