Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

napabar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
The DaynaFile is a wonderful piece of lost technology for the Macintosh. It's an enclosure that houses PC floppy disks drives (most importantly, 5.25 inch) and connects them to a Macintosh over SCSI. I looked for one of these for a long time, and was lucky to find a unit that was in very good condition. There isn't a lot of information out there about these devices, and I couldn't find a video anyone had ever made demonstrating them, so I made one myself. I hope you guys enjoy this.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I got one of those with an SE/30 a few years ago. Sadly, it didn't have the power brick with its funky power connector. Really need to get one. I don't suppose you could post a picture of the label of the power brick showing its voltage outputs?

napabar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
I got one of those with an SE/30 a few years ago. Sadly, it didn't have the power brick with its funky power connector. Really need to get one. I don't suppose you could post a picture of the label of the power brick showing its voltage outputs?

Sure, it's the ELPAC WM220-1. There is one for sale on eBay right now.

[automerge]1581428866[/automerge]
Quite a feat of software to convert SCSI to old floppy interface. There were versions that too 720 and 1.2MB 5 1/4" too.

In case you've not found it, try this:

Yup, they were just off the shelf floppy disk drives. I have a list from Dayna of the approved models for swap out. The floppy controller to SCSI board in this device is amazing!

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Excellent, thanks!

And yeah, my one of these has one 360kb 5.25" and one 1.2MB 5.25" drive. (PC 5.25" drives work in such a way that while a 1.2MB drive can *READ* 360k floppies perfectly fine, and it can even write to them, writing to them can be unreliable. Frequently if you write to a 360k in a 1.2M drive, it only can be read in another 1.2M drive, not in a native 360k drive. That's why many "time of the 1.2M transition" systems came with one of each drive, rather than just two 1.2M drives. (The IBM PC/AT was famously available this way - one 1.2M and one 360k; which were different colors and/or had different door mechanisms to differentiate them: IBM_PC_AT.jpg )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.