The days comes closer to my first MBP but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dutchnewbie, May 18, 2012.

1. dutchnewbie macrumors regular

Ok the point is.

That when the new model of the MBP will be announced i will get my first Apple product beside my iPod Touch.

I am a windows user since my first PC way back in 1999, I never really played games since i use laptops.

But i like to play once in a while games such as bejeweled but also like the hidden object games, adventures and rpg's.
    I know that the 13" model is not great for gaming but the 15" is more then i prefer to spend for my first machine.

Could someone tell what the actual limits are on a 13" model based on gaming.

And what about apps such as iMovie that is preinstalled, will those work well on the 13" MBP

Thanks in advance

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Can't say much to gaming performance, but the ones you are describing should easily be run on a 13". As for iMovie, my girlfriend uses iMovie all the time on her 13" and it works fine.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Can't tell if poster is extremely young...or I'm very old

On topic...you'll have to be more specific about what games you want to play. General rule of thumb: if it was made in the past 2 years and has 3D graphics, it probably won't be playable. The older the game is, or the less graphics intensive, the more likely it will run reasonably.

4. Tritons macrumors 6502

MPB 13'' biggest drawback is it's GPU - HD3000, but new one will have HD4000 which is a lot better in gameing.

5. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

lol i feel old haha thats why ;) My first computer experience was around 1989/1990 on my grandpa's msx2 home computer and we never had a pc at home i am 30 now :p

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Fixed that for you

7. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

ok so i wont have to concern about that like with the current 13" model?

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

A hidden object game like Gardenscapes will run fine on the 13". 2D adventure games will also run fine. Shooting games like Call of Duty or racing games like Need for Speed will not run well.

9. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm is there a way to check the store on a pc?
    But i guess to start with a 13" as a first machine is best option to see if mac works better then windows for me what i sure it would

10. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Haha, very true. Seems like a common misconception.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

13" MBPs are decidedly not built for gaming. Generally speaking they'll be marginal at best for new games, and in a year or so, new titles will be virtually unplayable.

12. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

okay, won't be an issue that made my final decision about what model to choose. will be the better 13" model if they have 2 models like now

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The higher end 13" model has never been worth the price. Case in point, the current 13" high costs $300 more than the low. For $300 you get 250gb of extra hard drive and 0.4 ghz of extra processor speed. There is no way that is worth anywhere close to $300. The price difference on the CPU from intel would be in the ballpark of 10-$15. The difference in price between a 500 and 750gb hdd is roughly 30-$40. So you're paying $300 for $50 in upgrades.

14. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

I see well let's see what apple will bring us :) i am getting more and more excided to buy my macbook pro :) But how trustworthly are 9to5mac published rumors? i like their mockup design as it's not like the MBA

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Wait save and dig deep and go for the 15" the 13" is the entry level Mac. the 13" was originally badged as the aluminium MacBook, Apple just renamed it to unify it`s range if you are looking at performance the high end 15" MBP is where it`s at. biggest problem with the present 13" is the poor resolution, you want portability the Air is the way and it`s far faster in general than the standard MBP 13" thanks to it`s SSD optimised design.

----------

No the difference in hardware for your $$$ will likely frustrate you as a long time PC user, if you are just looking to experience OS X look for a used Mac and then decide if you want to really take the dive, with a more capable Mac

16. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Well i have had before for a short time os x (leopard) installed on a external hd and that worked well but i didnt like the fact of using an external hd to boot up.

It's just that i have now an laptop with like a nice quadcore I7 processor, 6GB of ram an Nvidia GT540m 1GB, 640 GB hd for like €999 and my budget is max € 1500 for the macbook pro

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You can always look for a late 2011 refurb it will save on the $$$ much will depend on where you are located tax etc, like I say you will take a massive step down in hardware which may very much detract from the OS X experience. I have a late 2011 high end MBP 15" and it is without a doubt the finest computer I have ever owned and my computing experience started in 1982, and I have more than a few Mac`s and PC`s ;)

Soon the Late 2011 machines will be discounted due to the new 2012 machines arriving, this may well be your best option, for form factor, resolution, CPU, GPU etc. the latest designis always nice to have, however I would far rather be a model behind and have a 15" over the latest 13" as the 15" very much offers more in all aspects.

18. dutchnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's a massive step down when u look on the hardware part, but i still keep my windows machine as its just a year old. and i will save money for getting a better next MBP after i bought this one, i might even end up play barely any game as i barely play them on my laptop. i play games 99% of the time on my iPod touch

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would sell the PC, get 15" and run Windows under Bootcamp best of both worlds, what ever you buy now will deprecate and cost wise moving from a 15" to a new 15" is far easier than 13" to 15" one of the few drawbacks to Mac`s is the pricing, then again I also have an Early 2008 15" MBP 2.4 C2D which even now is still a very capable machine and I fully expect another 2-4 years of use out of it.

The 15" will offer far more real-estate to work on, offer serious portable computing power. Have you considere a Min Mac? As you already have a portable solution with your Windows PC, it would work out far cheaper as long as you are careful with the peripherals, predominately the display.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Umm, you get a dual core i7 versus a dual core i5. More than just a speed bump there. Biggest difference is the i5 doesn't hyperthread and the i7 does.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48391.aspx

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Ah, then you're likely looking at a little over $100 difference in the CPUs. Still not a great value, but slightly better.

22. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

People really are dumbing down the 13" Macbook Pro here, in real world use it will perform very well; especially with applications like iMovie etc. the only drawbacks you will have whilst using the 13" will be its performance in higher-end graphics processing, such as high-resolution 3D games and its horribly low resolution, but really the 13" is actually a very capable machine. Heck, I run the most demanding of applications quite often on an Intel Celeron!

23. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

At this point we really don't know what to expect in the update. I have a feeling the line will be redefined with the MacBook Air becoming simply the "MacBook" at 11 & 13 inches. The "Pro" moniker going to the 15 & 17 inch models. In doing so we could even see a change up in the pricing structure as well. As many have said, the 13" model was never really "Pro", although it is certainly a nice machine. Real world performance is about equal to the 13" Air. Having two models with comparable performance is redundant.

I'd imagine the "Air" models sticking with integrated GPU only, while the "Pro" models should have space for a dedicated GPU with the removal of the optical drive.

If both lines get retina displays, the better HD4000 integrated graphics will give up a lot of power to pushing pixels, so I wouldn't get too excited about a graphics boost in the 13" model. The "Pros" would still have integrated graphics to power the display, but would also have a dedicated GPU for gaming and the like.

Needless to say, if you aren't a fan of the MacBook Air design, you should seriously consider rebudgeting for the 15" Pro. It doesn't make sense to have two so similarly spec'd machines as the 13" Pro and Air in the lineup.

24. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

That is so true and I think many people forget that, just because the 13" has "Pro" on it.

I too, had a MBP entry level 13" (mid 2010), very reliable machine and I loved it. I used to edit video on it and worked like a champ, even HD video was not a problem if I used FW800 or internal HDD for source file.

And yeah, I played games on it: KOTOR and lots of titles from Steam library. But it choked on lot of stuff, I had to render everything in After Effects when I wanted to preview. But such a great computer.

Last month I lost it (don't even ask how) and I borrowed Macbook Air 11" (current model with 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM) as a replacement. It's like 3x faster, even video editing is smoother. I also do live visuals in music shows and this little fella handles it well.

So when thinking about low-end 13" or high-end 13", I'd go definitely with low-end. As someone else mentioned, the additional little bump in clock speed and HDD size is not worth it. If you have the cash, I'd immediately swap HDD for SSD and you'll be surprised how much more juice you're gonna squeeze out. (Also heard that maxing the RAM is a great way to speed up the basic 13" as well).

25. earwax69 macrumors member

I've just bought a mini to try OS X and so far I am a bit disapointed. OS X is clearly not what I though it would be and it's more trouble than win7 for the moment. The mini is nice though...

You know that for the price of the base macbook pro, you could build yourself a very powerful computer.

Asus mobo 84$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131716

i5 2500k quad 3.3ghz 204$
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229

RAM 16GB RAM 4x4 $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220629

Video MSI Radeon HD 6670 2GB $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127669

case CM690 $70 (after rebate of $10)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

PSU SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620 Watt $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

CPU cooler Dynatron R17 92mm $33
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835114120

Total: 678$

With the 600$ you save, you can get yourself a nice IPS 24inch screen and still have 200$ to spend on a better Graphic card or CPU.