The death of a 2010 MBP and a trip to the Genius'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MackPro91, Aug 20, 2010.

1. MackPro91 macrumors newbie

Howdy all,

I received a 2010 i5 Macbook Pro a few months back, around April time, as a gift for college/uni and it's been my best friend since, I've loved every minute of it and though it's not my first mac it's felt that way, so fresh.

I had no problems up until today when I closed the lid to put it to sleep as per usual, while I played a little xbox, but when I returned and opened the lid it had frozen and something inside, which I presume to be the hard drive, was making a funky recurring noise. I had to force it to shut down and now it won't boot, staying at the white screen with no logo appearing, whilst the funny internal noise persists.

I immediately got on the phone to support who ran me through some reset instructions but nothing seemed to work, it didn't boot the install disc or respond to anything I was told to do.

Soon enough I was told that I would have to visit my closet genius bar so I have an appointment booked at the new Covent Garden store here in London (yay at least I get to see the new store!). And this is where my question lies.

I'm wondering what I can expect, if I will have to pay any repair costs (I don't think it was my fault, I only closed the lid) etc. I don't have any apple care plan (I wasn't offered it at time of purchase and forgot, or did they not offer it because I bought the mac with student discount?). I was told I'd receive an e-mail running through the basic information of what my trip will entail, but it's yet to arrive, so if anybody would care to help out I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry for rambling, I'm just kinda worried about my little mac and it's future.

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

your fine, not your fault it will be fixed as long as there is no physical damage.

apple care can be purchased anytime in the period of the factory warranty, and i would recommend it highly.

good luck

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

When you talk to the Genius tomorrow, s/he should be able to diagnose the problem while you're at the counter, but if it's the hard drive that needs replacing (which it sounds like), they'll likely keep your MBP at least overnight (but probably a few days) to complete the repair. The speed of the repair depends on the store and their current workload.

Like MacModMachine mentioned, you can buy AppleCare anytime before your included 1-year warranty expires. In the US, Apple gives a significant discount to anyone in college. If they do they same in the UK, you should consider it. AppleCare continues your 1-year included warranty out to 3-years total (from date of purchase). It also reinstates your telephone support, which is only 90-days included on new Macs.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You're covered by your 1 year manufacturers warranty (technically at least 3 years by the Sales of Goods Act 1979).

If it is the hard drive, the headers could have gone (hopefully you have a backup). This problem is normal for a hard drive unfortunately, and very common to happen to even new hard drives.

They should be able to diagnose it there and then.. However one problem is that a failed hard drive is usually indicated by a folder icon at boot, so the logic board could be toast.

If there's a huge collaboration of problems, they might take it in to diagnose and repair it. If way too many things are toast, they may end up replacing it.

5. MackPro91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thank you guys for the help and information!

Like I say I'm just bit nervous as my macbook is my pride and joy but of course I have confidence in Apple.

Once again thanks and hopefully, come Wednesday, when I go to the store, I'll have a solution.

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

7. MackPro91 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the new Covent Garden store now, it's sick! Beautiful building, jam packed with goodies. I'll update with how the genius thing goes...

8. godaz macrumors regular

I went to the new store at Covent Gardens this weekend, its a beautiful store. Its huge!

9. Covart Guest

Large in U.K. = small in U.S.

Brits don't know what large means, which is probably why you don't want your women dating Americans. :D LOL

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

or british men dating american women....i guess thats why there is so much fast food in the states....

11. godaz macrumors regular

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/04...vent-garden-retail-store-in-london-in-london/

Because the US always do things better than the UK...

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

In this case, the two largest Apple Stores in the UK are the two largest Apple Stores in the world. The US got beaten in this irrelevant matter. Nevertheless, you were wrong.

By the way, have you seen those women? You can have them all.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//ot
    they aren't that bad (and i'm not british) (though I do drive an older jaguar)

//on-topic
    let us know what happens, OP

14. juicedropsdeuce macrumors 6502

genius = fail

Get ready for the 'run around'. Typical 'Geniuses' are there to deny problems and assuage you enough so you just leave or buy something else. :rolleyes::apple::mad:

15. MackPro91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got home, turns out it was the hard drive! The guy managed to boot it from an external drive, so I guess that eliminated any other possible problems.

He was going to fix it there and then but they had no hard drives in the 'warehouse' so they're keeping it for repair and they'll let me know when it's ready to pick up, estimated time 5-7 days my reciept says.

Hopefully they take good care of my baby! Thanks for your input guys. :apple: