The Death of DOMA . . .

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Naimfan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

President Obama’s decision to no longer defend the so-called “Defense of Marriage Act” in court is the courageous and correct one. DOMA was a disaster and a huge step backwards from the instant it was signed into law. President Obama’s decision gives me hope that we as a nation can address the far more significant challenges and problems we face. We can only hope that his decision spells the beginning of the end of DOMA, and that it is a signpost of the continuing progress we as a nation have made in tolerating, and indeed, celebrating those people who are different from us in whatever form.

For me the question of same-sex marriage boils down to this: Love is hard enough to find. If two men or two women find love together, and want to publicly declare and celebrate it, who are we to tell them they cannot? If anyone can think of a dumber reason to discriminate against someone, please let me know. Just as I would not want anyone else to have a veto power over who I might choose to marry, I do not, and should not, have veto power over who someone else might choose to marry. Nor should the government.

That said, if a particular religious denomination chooses not to perform same-sex marriages, that may be their right. The government, however, has no such discretion, and should not. The idea that the government should act as “custos mores” (The Guardian of Morals”) is long past.

As Justice Kennedy wrote in Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996) “We must conclude that Amendment 2 classifies homosexuals not to further a proper legislative end but to make them unequal to everyone else. This Colorado cannot do. A State cannot so deem a class of persons a stranger to its laws.” Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 (1996) (emphasis added).

The arguments against same-sex marriage are ludicrous. Distilled to their essence, they all reduce to the idea that marriage has traditionally been between a man and a woman, and so it should stay that way. If marriage were on the same legal level as joining a social club, and no state action were involved, that would be fine. But the instant the government becomes involved, our government is required to treat everyone equally. Allowing only certain groups to avail themselves of the legal benefits and protections of marriage violates the principle of equal protection of the law, and there is simply no rational or compelling state interest to do so that could justify such a separation. The argument that “But we’ve always done it that way” simply does not, and cannot, justify prohibiting same-sex marriage. It is no more than the tired refrain of the intellectually bankrupt who reflexively oppose any change that does not directly benefit them.

And so President Obama should be celebrated for taking a step to promote the equality of all in the United States. With his decision and announcement, we are one step closer to the ideal of judging a person not by what they look like, or whom they associate with, but by the content of their character and by the actions they take.

2. leekohler, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Holy crap! Welcome back! Where the hell have you been, man? We missed you!

EDIT- Oh, and thanks for the support. :)

3. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Congress appears to disagree with the President

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and congress is wrong.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Ironic part is, by trying to defend this law the republicans are just speeding up the whole process of it going to court and having it ruled unconstitutional. So thanks to republicans, the Feds may soon be recognizing gay marriages! Who would have thought?

6. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Not only that - it looks like those in Congress who want to take up the case want FRC (SPLC certified Hate group Family Research Council) to partner with them on the cases. Congressional Republicans may want to rethink that as nearly all their research and positions will not hold up in a court of law (for example, a child does better if his or her same sex parents don't divorce, so obviously that must show a child raised by two members of the same sex will damage the child, no study on that needed!).

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yep. I actually think this will be a good thing for same sex marriage. It's a blessing in disguise.

8. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Can someone make rainbow "Don't Tread On Me" flags? I think it would be a brilliant way to show Republican hypocrisy on their calls for smaller government, yet they think government should regulate who and who cannot marry based on, well, nothing.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You mean, the Republicans appear to disagree with the President.

Shocker.

And as a previous poster said, they are wrong. I'd love to know the marital status' of all of those supporting the DOMA. I wonder how many divorces they have between them.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

If something (marriage) is right, does it really need special legislation to institutionalize discrimination in defense of it? Legislation of morality is always a slippery slope. I'm speaking of social morals.

11. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 601

Naimfan

Thanks!

Been? Running around trying to get people to be a bit more . . . reasonable. Some successes, some failures.

And you're welcome re support! I just wish it were not an issue . . .

How has it been here? I think it was just short of 3 years.