The Death of the SUV?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Link

Sometimes I think the town I live in should be called Priusville there's so many of them around. Also, there seems to be fewer and fewer soccer moms driving monster SUVS.

I can't wait to hear the SUV defenders justify how necessary their 10 mpg vehicle is to their emotional well-being.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I still see plenty of soccer moms driving mini vans. Still a bunch of SUV's around too. Maybe its just the climate up here but I don't see many small cars. Detroit needs to find a way to make bigger vehicles fuel efficient and still have horsepower.

3. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

good. I'm tired of seeing 4-foot suburban mothers behind the wheel of an H2.

I never quite understood what people saw in SUVs. Their top-heavy bodies make driving them feel like they're on six axes. They don't offer more space than a wagon. Most are no safer than a car.

Sure, if you have a few Sea-doos to pull, or maybe a camper -- I can understand that. Some rural americans might have an excuse too, but for daily travel in more urban or city environments you've got to be out of your mind. And it's not about weather -- I've owned tiny & light SAABs & Audis since high school, and not even the worst Chicago snow-storm could take me off the street (though, again, I imagine it's a lot different in rural environments).

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Hey, more power to them if they want to continue to have and use their SUV. It's their money after all. :)

I do find it interesting to see how market forces result in consumer spending changes.

One thing I am sure, and that many who use SUVs for a purpose other than just for status, will continue to use them as they have in the past.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't like seeing the soccer moms in the huge cars either. Save the big vehicles for the jobs that need them. There are plenty of uses for SUV's and Pickups, but make sure they are in the right drivers hands.

6. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

It might also be the fact their SUVs are worthless but the loan isn't paid off and nobody will take it in on trade. Did you read the article?

Your wish is somewhat of an oxymoron. Of course they could use extremely expensive carbon fiber along with a host of other exotic materials, but how many million dollar SUVs are going to sell?

7. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

One thing that the article didn't cover is how high gas prices are affecting recreation. Boats, snowmobiles, offroading 4 wheelers, motorcycles, etc, can consume a lot of fuel and are generally more harmful to the environment than a typical automobile.

It would be interesting to see how sales of such equipment have plummeted.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well at some point all of these diesel semis are going to need to be replaced with something. A lot of people need pickups for work, it would be nice if they could be fuel efficient.

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

gas prices have even had an impact on the sale of lawn mowers believe it or not, with many going electric, and even manual. It's about time. Never understood why anyone needed a 300cc gas powered, self propelled lawn mower, for a flat 700 sq ft lawn.

Then again, there's no alternative energy source for sporting vehicles.

10. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

It is truly a tragic day in American history when patriots can't afford to show their support for their president and his policies by driving a large SUV. I weep as I write this post, for the terrorists have truly won. I wish God could explain his divine mysteries to me, like why He put American oil under their sand.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Didn't you hear, it's the dinosaurs fault, not God's.

12. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

The American lawn is as much a result of the internal combustion engine as it is a product of petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides. Since all three are getting more expensive and water shortages are becoming more commonplace, I think the US will see a revolution in suburban landscaping in the coming decade.

Unfortunately, homeowner associations are loathe to change their rules, many of which stipulate a minimum amount of lawn.

It will be fascinating to watch the suburban infighting!

13. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

There's only one answer -- AstroTurf.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And how will that help the environment?

15. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

it was a joke.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Goats for everyone!!!

And goats milk is good for those with lactose-intolerance.

[​IMG]

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

18. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Ahhh, well I meant it as a joke. Usually, when people think AstroTurf, they think of this.

If the masses do start switching to synthetic grass, I'm moving to Canada.

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It does, but I also remember reading somewhere that 70% of our air comes from the oceans. Besides, I think this would only apply to suburban areas, there's no way it would happen in large rural feilds.

20. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yes, grass does give off oxygen. However, given the amount of water, fertilizer, pesticides and oil consumed by lawnmowers, trimmers, etc, it's a negative amount.

If a person is truly concerned about the environment, or simply the amount of oxygen, they'll plant trees, shrubs and flowers that are appropriate for their area.

While much is made of the pollution from industrial farming techniques, the vast majority of urban and suburban runoff pollution is generated from lawns. Runoff from farms is limited in that a farmer's income is directly impacted by the quantity of chemicals he uses. The typical homeowner tends to err on the side of excess and applies generally a third more than is necessary.

If a homeowner really wants to do something for the environment, the best thing to do is minimize the amount of lawn they have. There are many other ways to create oxygen, cool your house and reduce water and petroleum use. Planting deciduous trees on the south side of the house is an excellent use of passive solar energy.

It takes so little to really make a difference...

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Remember Lady Bird Johnson's initiative?? I do.

We actually have a few front lawns around here, with native grasses/weeds/flowers/what have you, and they require NO cutting.

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It is funny seeing them trying to close the hatch-back tho. :D

23. David G. macrumors 65816

I like how this thread has morphed into an argument about grass.:D