The Deep State- We have the proof folks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, May 22, 2018.

1. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

2. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm seeing a letter mapping out events that offer no proof of anything beyond routine stuff we pretty much already know, and a request for more information.

3. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You are not wrong.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you not reading the Senate document correctly? This document obviously points out collusion between McCabe and CNN hit piece on Trump.

6. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

No, it asks a bunch of questions. Calling the letter “proof” of anything is silly.

7. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, how on earth would McCabe know CNN is about to run that story then?o_O

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

You appear to be unaware of how journalists work. When they have a story close to going to press, they will typically call the subject of the story and others involved to get a comment or to ask questions.

9. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, so McCabe was in direct contact with CNN then? I wasn't aware that coordinating with a major news outlet was an acceptable function of a deputy director.

10. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

I doubt it. Whoever was working on the story presumably called a press contact at the FBI or DOJ.

11. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, and that must have been a high priority on his mind, since it was in his emails to senior leadership and deputy director. Keep making excuses...[​IMG]

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yes, I read it, twice, before asking for help in seeing what I'm not seeing.

The only part of that whole thing that, after the second reading, I could try to figure out what you were talking about was the McCabe/CNN thing. If you think he leaked to CNN - which you have no proof of and this document offers no proof of - then fine.

So the conservative line of reasoning seems to be to say something happened without proof, wait for proof later, and if no proof materializes, it must be a deep state conspiracy?

I'm not even saying McCabe didn't leak stuff to the press. But calling this proof of a "deep state" is reaching to a laughable degree.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2018 ---
    Do you not see how its counterproductive to post a thread claiming proof of something, then backing up your points with theoreticals?

13. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought that department abstains from politics?

14. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

It’s right there in the original CNN story: “Spokespeople for the FBI and the Director of National Intelligence declined to comment.”

The FBI may have found out about this through other means, but CNN said that they contacted the FBI for comment before going forward with the story.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/politics/donald-trump-intelligence-report-russia/index.html

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not sure what you mean, that's too broad. There's a difference between abstaining from politics in the sense of promoting/dismissing political ideas/figures/etc. But by their very nature they have to be involved in politics.

16. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would they even care about CNN? They are not a political entity? Also, how did CNN know Comey discussed the dossier with Trump if they declined to comment?

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They're a major news source and they probably wanted to be able to handle any fallout from the story going public. If Trump said he was firing Rosenstein tomorrow and said Mueller was next, and someone leaked it, and NBC called the White House and asked for comment, someone would be sending emails around saying "Get ready..."

With all due respect, you wouldn't have to keep asking these sorts of questions if that document offered any proof of a "deep state".

To be fair, I'm not saying McCabe didn't leak the information to the press. There's just no proof of it one way or the other.

18. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's not their job function. That's the problem.

19. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

What? The demolition of the separation of powers? The arrival of fascism to the US? The Rapture?

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Says who? What rule or statute prevents that?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If I were Trump and I had nothing to worry about it (good luck with that), I'd just declassify everything. Put it out there for everyone to see and whatever agency or department gets embarrassed so be it.

22. darksithpro thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're basically condoning the behavior that it is acceptable to play politics in a federal investigation?

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

As an citizen you really want the intelligence agencies being as apolitical as possible.

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don't see that as political at all. If a news organization gets wind of something significant, I don't see how sending a memo out about it saying "Heads up" is political at all. I can't imagine this hasn't been the norm for decades....

At any rate, its proof of nothing, really.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2018 ---
    Please explain to me how this is political;

[​IMG]

25. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

This letter does not attempt to prove anything. It's a request for information.

The OP deliberately mischaracterizes the contents of the letter.