the definitive answer for upgrading to iphone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surjavarman, Sep 10, 2013.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I come to the conclusion that it is not worth it.

A7 - the iphone 5 and iphone 4s are already blazingly fast. I can't see how much faster it can be.

Fingerprint reader - I have bigger problems when someone has physical access to my device to even worry about him looking at my pictures or browsing history. About $800 worth of problems. And I am pretty someone will hack the fingerprint reader within 24 hours anyway.

So that only leaves the camera, battery life and m7. These are just minor upgrades that its just not worth the hassle and what ever money you are going to lose.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Glad you came to a thought out conclusion for yourself.

For myself and many others the 5S is completely worth the upgrade from the 4S.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That may the definitive answer for you, but not for everyone. Obviously, millions will consider it well worth it. There is no "definitive answer" for everyone.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

What someone considers minor might be major to another person. I'm sure the 5S will sell just fine :)

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

There are many threads with people expressing their opinions. I don't know what makes yours definitive or deserving of a whole new thread, but thanks for sharing.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

The answer is simple: the iPhone 5S is twice as fast as the iPhone 5.

Doubtful it will be hacked that quickly. And is your data important to you? For most of us, it is. With the fingerprint sensor blocking someone out, I will have plenty of time to remotely wipe the lost/stolen phone.

Maybe it's not worth it to you, but it certainly is for me. The graphics and processing power are going to be amazing.

Bryan

7. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

You, my friend must be hiding some valuable content on your current phone. Many will not sweat it but some like you, will be nervous that contents may be explored through hacking etc. Many great features and "all" users will be extremely pleased with this updated 5. I myself am extremely pleased and cannot wait to get my hands on an "s" next week.
    Keep complaining and drule over my "s". Woohaaaa.....
    Oh, I'm sure I'll be purchasing the "6" when that is released as well .... Woohaha

8. TweakOnline macrumors regular

TweakOnline

Well, I still don't know if I'm going to upgrade. Right now I have an iPhone 5, great device though it's one year old. There's almost no reason why I should upgrade, except for the Fingerprint sensor. As we know, the 64 bit architecture is great, but in real performance we won't notice much of it, unless you game a lot on your iPhone.

Because upgrading costs more than €200,- (sell my old iPhone 5, buy a new, factory unlocked phone at the Apple Store) isn't worth the Fingerprint sensor and Infinity Blade 3. Although, as we know, we won't see games using all of the performance the iPhone 5S has until 2014...

Beside that, I'll put my money on my iPad 4. 64 Bit architecture isn't a big game changer, but for tablets... we'll seen. :)

9. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Definitely worth it for me.

Double the performance?
    No longer having to type in a 6 character passcode to get into my phone and no longer having to type in a complex-character passcode every time I authorize itunes/appstore downloads?
    Greatly enhanced photo/video system? (I take lots of photos and videos)

Yes, please. I'll be getting mine on the 20th. The only question that remains is ... white or grey?

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Definitely a worthy upgrade. Of course, it makes more sense if you're upgrading from the 4 or 4S.
    Otherwise, you have to decide if it's worth it.

11. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't heard any convincing arguments.

Double the performance? Nice on paper but you wouldn't notice in real life.

Easy to unlock and make purchases? For unlocking its handy but I would say you have bigger problems when you lose your phone. The fingerprint scanner isn't going to get your phone back. And mark my words its going to get hacked. Its a very very convenient gimmick but its still a gimmick. App purchases happen to infrequent that its not worth mentioning. All in all not worth the bucks and time you lose. I personally don't use passwords on my phone.

If it isn't worth it for me then its probably not worth it for most. But I guess its normal that people need to keep up with the joneses so they convince themselves its worth it.

12. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

If I have the money, a 5S makes a great upgrade to my aging 4.

Otherwise I'm very tempted with a Lumia 1020.

13. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

So if my app opens in .1 seconds instead of .2 seconds.. it's twice as fast. But does it really matter?

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

Neither do I, and that is part of the advantage to this. Now I will be able to secure my phone without the inconvenience of a password.

15. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Shhhshshshshhh... don't tell consumers that. Then they wont upgrade ;)

16. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, its a convenience. If I had it I would use it. But again its nothing more than a convenient gimmick and so its not worth losing your money and time solely for this feature.

You really think that feature is worth hundreds of dollars? A feature that in your case doesn't save you anytime and gives you maybe a false sense of security.