The Democratic debates: live thread

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
For anyone watching the debate post your thoughts here.

PNG image.png

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I’m just waiting for candidates to answer the question they were asked. With so many on stage it’s nearly impossible for the moderators to do follow ups.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I like Mr. Yang. I do not agree with his policies but he attempts to make a reasonable argument for them.
Will admit I haven't watched a second of his interviews but I'm rather confident he has no chance. This country had issues with a Black President and I suspect they'll have problems with an Asian President or even a gay one. Yang comes a somewhat wealthy family and I suspect his heritage may be used against him despite being American born. Buttigieg simply doesn't stand a chance with maybe 40% of the country who are backwoods, but also doesn't stand a chance with urban minorities who vote Democrat but still take issue with the whole homosexual thing because of religion or simple opinion.

Some Republicans seem to be surprised when they find out yes there are also very racist and very homophobic or otherwise bigoted Democrats, and they're not always age 60 and above. GOP voters come up often because they're far more vocal.

Reactions: Rogifan

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Every time a candidate is asked about healthcare they pivot to health insurance. Those things are not the same. Of course they pivot because it’s easy to bash insurance companies. It’s a lot harder to talk about ways to make healthcare less expensive (and no, insurance companies aren’t the reason healthcare is expensive).

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Every time a candidate is asked about healthcare they pivot to health insurance. Those things are not the same. Of course they pivot because it’s easy to bash insurance companies. It’s a lot harder to talk about ways to make healthcare less expensive (and no, insurance companies aren’t the reason healthcare is expensive).
Because they're intrinsically the same? Healthcare is very, very easy to access in this country. It's difficult to pay for it if you don't have a plan or money.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Because they're intrinsically the same? Healthcare is very, very easy to access in this country. It's difficult to pay for it if you don't have a plan or money.
That still says nothing about the cost of healthcare. The cost is what we need to deal with. Make healthcare itself cheaper and the price of insurance will come down.

Back to the debate, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Biden and Trump has barely been mentioned either. The only one really taking any fire is Beto. Odd.

Reactions: linuxcooldude

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
That still says nothing about the cost of healthcare. The cost is what we need to deal with. Make healthcare itself cheaper and the price of insurance will come down.

Back to the debate, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Biden and Trump has barely been mentioned either. The only one really taking any fire is Beto. Odd.
Cost of healthcare falls mostly on pharma companies and tool companies that provide hardware and drugs to medical facilities.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Correction. Insurance companies aren’t the only reason healthcare is expensive.

Reactions: Thomas Veil