The Democrats Have Become Your Father's, Grandfather's GOP

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Huntn, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

...but with better social values, and that's a good thing! :)

Last night's Democrat Convention Finale not only completely exceeded my expectations in every way, I came to realize we a owe Donald Trump a sincere debt of gratitude for being such a horrid candidate and human being. He has sparked the kind of push back you rarely see in a national convention. Such a rich tapestry of Americans from all walks of life coming together to repudiate last weeks GOP Nash Fest. The differences are stunning. No, Hillary is not a perfect human being, no one is, but she is a giant compared to The Bankrupt Candidate.

I watch MSNBC on a regular basis and this is the first time I've seen the GOP pundits who participate there on a regular basis actually gushing over the thrashing the Democrats are delivering to Trump's GOP.

The Democrats are walking in the light, while in contrast the GOP has morphed into an unreconizable creature that dwells in dark places.

2. thermodynamic, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Clinton is to the right of Donald Trump on the chart on the following page (at the time I clicked to view it) but amazingly to the left of the same Gary Johnson everyone is drooling over.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/uselection2016

So the generational claim, which I have posted in support and refuting of at different times for different reasons (sometimes because even I know it's not a total truism, sometimes for others that I don't spell out because we all have reasonable IQ levels) is once again seen as being glib.

--- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2016 ---
    View attachment 642417

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The "no more war" chants during Panetta's speech was terrific. Now if only they continue that fire after the election.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or any reasons they have to go to war. There can be valid, true reasons.

Attached Files:

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure, but I haven't read about any of them in my lifetime.

6. zin Suspended

There's the problem.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hmmm, so if another country comes over to pillage and rape and/or kill, you're going to think it's not a good reason go to war?

Wow.

But my perception could be wrong and, regardless, I should ask you specifically for straight answers instead of the usual shtick of trying to covertly imply an opposing viewpoint:

What are your reasons for needing to go to war?

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm willing to let a lot slide, but with my gun safe in my bedroom closet, I can't get past the fact that the Democrats want to get involved with my bedroom.

Toss in their backtracking on privacy and other 4th amendment rights, and I'm not sure can trust them to just leave me alone.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Maybe Caitlyn Jenner really was right involving her comment about Republicans and the Constitution?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, call me when that happens....

I'd say a genuine threat, not just threats to "our interests".

11. 0007776 Suspended

And the Republicans want to get involved with other aspects of your bedroom.

12. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Tastes so good you forget that it’s poison™

CoV1VV3WEAEvZy3.jpg

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Whether or not the extreme realizes it, I think the body knows that's settled and are ready to move on. If the party faces weren't pandering the extreme, I'd think you'd hear a very different tone.

I look forward to the day when the Dems feel the same.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I agree, about genuine. But our people are our interests. You still make it sound like you don't mind if we get whatever atrocity put on us.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, what I'm saying is we haven't had one defensive military operation in my lifetime. We're in a sweet spot geographically speaking, so anytime we go to war it's over something other than defense. I don't support wars of choice.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors Pentium

Huntn

The various groups at the Democrat Convention that tried to disrupt the proceedings, while rude and annoying, I realize these people had messages they wanted to convey and the Convention offered no avenue to do that. I'd suggest the chant should be no more sham wars and justifiably delivered at the GOP convention. :)

As far as continual war, I think Americans are fatiqued with over a decade of being at war. We have been the defacto world policemen since WWII, only now we are having trouble keeping our priorities straight, making economic ends meet. We have to keep our infrastructure from falling down, the 1% have to abandon the greed standard, seek to level the social playing field, by becoming more enclusive and all if this costs money. We can't have our cake and eat it to. Sending aircraft carriers around the world to project force will mean very little if we implode at home.

My position is that while we have an important role to play on the world stage, we can no longer carry the majority of the world policing roll. We must support, and the appropriate regional countries must take the lead in regional conflicts. And no more frick'n invasions based on BS.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2016 ---
    Hey, I found one of those! :D

[​IMG]