The Democrats Have Blown It

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Premtive statement: Yes it's easy for me to whine and make the observation without offering a real solution and I admit the title is not completely fair.

I did not include the word liberal in the title because I believe the principles of liberalism are alive and well. The problem is the defacto liberal party in this country has been knocked back on it's heals by the rising conservative backlash still building from the 1980s. Look at the majorities in most State houses.

Looking at this election, the vast numbers of Blue color workers who support The Disaster In The Making, Snake Oil Salesman and Prolific Liar, these people used to be Democrats. What happened?

My read is that the Democrats spend so much time fighting for their political lives, they have either moved to the right or been checked in their standard agenda of equality and a level playing field. Some percentage of blue collar workers no longer look at the Democrat party as a home. Why is that? My guess, while I can't say for sure is that illegal immigration, xenophobia, white entitlement, and racism play a part and the fact is, the Democrats have been ineffective as a whole raising the standard of living for these people. Btw, this is not a wholesale categorization of blue collar workers as racists. And I'll add it's tough to be liberal elected official when you're surrounded by people with a conservative mind set. The golden era of the 1960s optimism is dead and buried.

What is completely befuddling that a substantial group of bottom tier workers would ever look to the GOP as someone who cares about them and especially a Con Man of the magnitude of Mt Trust. IT IS STAGGERING. :oops:

• What is the path forward for Democrats and Liberalism in general?
    • Does the status quo have to sink so low because the Democrats failed, and the people actually get sick of GOP BS, that we start from scratch? I won't say what that literally means.
    • What kind of agenda, conservative or liberal look to the best interests of the overiding majority?
    • Will Capitalism as we know it survive or are we destined to adopt a different system? As heard this morning on MSNBC, it's tough to sell capitalism to people who have no capital.
    Send me your answers. :p:D

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I think both parties have their issues this cycle. I wouldn't single one over the other.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I mentioned to my liberal friends that Democrats care more about a green-haired, border-jumping, transgendered Guatemalan than they do about an out-of-work steelworker from Ohio. They didn't argue with me.

4. zin Suspended

Democrats became the party of war, big money, big business, corruption, and globalism.

And you blame racism and 'white entitlement' for the reason why working class people are flocking to the man who went in front of Ford motor executives and threatened to slap a tariff on their cars in order to protect American jobs?

Hilarious.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

It is funny considering that Ford wasn't reducing the # of jobs by opening up shop elsewhere. But you know - Trump really likes his lies.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The Dem's only care if your special, they can make news defending the "green-haired, border-jumping, transgendered Guatemalan". The Democratic party lost it's base with their laser focus on social justice and sound bites.

7. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

While the number of jobs may be staying steady, you should be looking it as a percentage of their labor force. Growing in Mexico is the same thing as cutting jobs in the US, if otherwise those jobs would have been added here. I'm no Trump supporter, but Ford is offshoring jobs. Trying to paint it any other way is misleading.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

Positioning it as Trump has is irresponsible. Especially as a political maneuver.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Jobs should grow, not remain the same. Not expanding in the US is a problem.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't disagree. But again - Trump using Ford in the way he has/had was not authentic. And where is Trump's pledge to bring his jobs to America?

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Cry me a ****ing river.

Get ready for the Trump Train.

[​IMG]

Landslide baby - landslide!

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors Pentium

Huntn

We've had a Democrat President who has been actively blocked by Republican majorities in both houses of Congress for eight years. The appropriate question is do steelworkers think they'll get a better deal from the GOP? If you don't put people in Congress who make your interests a priority you are screwed from the start are you not?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I worry about you when he loses. Will you be able to cope with that. I'm sincerely asking.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Wars have always been fought under both parties. Both parties have had to rely on big money (TV advertising airplane travel, and throwing rallies ain't cheap!), big business...same story, corruption...always has been corrupt people on this planet, probably always will be. No ideology has exclusive domain of that issue, nor is any totally free from it either. Globalism, again, both parties have been in on that long before you were even born.

What's hilarious is you thinking that the guy who offshores his own products is going to hypocritically fix the problem. That's like sending in the fox to do something about foxes getting into the henhouse and eating chickens. He wants to slap a tariff on imports? Fine, start with himself.

15. Huntn thread starter macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Win, much less a landslide...pipe dream? Check with me tomorrow. :p

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Or, another option is your train goes off the tracks. Hope you have a safety plan and know where all the exits are!

I do like your graphic though, it's one of the better ones I have seen this election.

17. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Agreed, it is a problem. The question is why they are building plants and creating jobs outside the US? What is it that makes Mexico more attractive than the US? We need to have an honest discussion about that in order to fix that problem.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Why? It's more convenient. I lost my former job to India, they were cheaper and the fact that they really did a ****ty job didn't matter to the company. Too bad lives are on the line. Other friends that were in the manufacturing dept of the same company lost their job to Mexico's assembly plants. Again, it was just more convenient.

And I am not going to be the hypocrite here. As a CEO I would probably do the same. I would use all possible resources to prevent jobs from going across the borders, but I am not going to risk the company just because I have an ideal. Until the US becomes extremely convenient, companies will leave.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Social justice is not important? However I agree a good part of the Democrat focus must remain on their tradional base, the common man/woman, blue collar workers and their economic well being. For whatever reason, they've not been effective in the latter. This does not let the real culprits, the GOP and self serving conservatism off the hook. At this point, with a vagabond looming as potential President, there is no reason to look at them (conservatives) as a solution for society as a whole.

20. jerwin macrumors 68000

I'm taking a train of an all together different character.

21. zin Suspended

Only one candidate in this race is being bankrolled by globalist big money individuals and corporations. Only one candidate in this race wants to continue arming literal terrorists. Only one candidate in this race wants to topple Assad and create a vacuum for ISIS 2.0. Only one candidate in this race treats U.S.-Russia relations as electorally disposable. Only one candidate in this race will totally sign TPP. Only one candidate in this race supports open borders. Only one candidate in this race will leave NAFTA intact.

Do you even agree with any of Hillary's platform on trade, ethics, foreign policy, and big money?

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Yep - those blue collar workers started to suffer due to the union-busting efforts of the GOP. I suppose nobody remembers Reagan and the air traffic controllers strike (link)? I honestly fail to understand how the blue-collar workers could be so foolish as to support the GOP - the party that has consistently opposed the interests of workers and tried to remove all social safety nets since the 1980's.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Because for workers the GOP has become the 1980's DNC, and the DNC has become the 1980's big-corp/WS GOP.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'd say both parties have blown it when we have 8 million millionaire households in the USA (Boston Consulting Group study, 2016) but we also have 20-40% of the country's kids growing up in poverty.

About 15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty threshold, a measurement that has been shown to underestimate the needs of families. Research shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice that level to cover basic expenses. Using this standard, 42% of children live in low-income families.

http://nccp.org/topics/childpoverty.html
    That's before we get to the billionaires, of which the USA has about 540. Both parties need to set aside their infernal always-on quest for re-election funds and start dealing with each other across the aisles, on behalf of all Americans, no matter which way votes get cast tomorrow.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I understand that is the perception, but I just don't see any evidence this is true. Refresh my memory, which party voted to deregulate the banks?