The Democrats' response to Trump's SOTU is by a Republican who isn't even in office? Well played.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Mar 1, 2017.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Democrats have real trouble communicating with average Americans, so they turned to an ex-Republican/ex-Governor to give their response to Trump's dazzling SOTU? At least they realize they're completely out of touch with the voters, but wasn't there ONE Dem who's in office they could have gone with instead?

Sad indeed.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

No, and that's the point: Democrats have become irrelevant. Even they realize it.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

5. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

But looking at the charlie-foxtrot that was the Democrats on display at last night's SOTU, which way would you bet on the results of said election?

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Nobody but the partisans really care in any of these rebuttals. If the object was to keep their base happy, they would have done much better with an Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker.

8. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Yeah yeah. NPR loves to dine out on that nit-pick. They said the same thing about Obama's "SOTU" in 2009.

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Indeed. I remember some in the media hammering Jindal. The circle jerk thread in PRSI from 2009 shows they seemed to care.

10. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

But then more of America would have heard Warren's Leftist ideology and associated her with the Democratic party, which is exactly what the GOP is trying to do and Democrat leaders are trying to avoid.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Not after the last election. However, I note that Trump gave this speech because he has historically low approval ratings among independents and Democrats, which are the majority in the country. There's a lot of anger out there, and it's not just among GOP Trump voters. I think some people who sat on the sidelines in the last election won't in future elections.

12. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

There is a political graveyard full of young politicians responding to a SOTU or a joint-session speech. It's pretty much a guaranteed way to become ridiculed. I wouldn't want to do it.

13. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Good point. But Pelosi and Reid rebutted Bush's SOTU, so they will pick senior leaders, except when they think they'll be perceived negatively by Americans.

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Frankly, I was disappointed with the Dems at Trumps' speech - they probably didn't intend as much, but their actions (or lack thereof) made them look petty imo. Yeah, I get it (depending on your POV/sanity) Trump is a train wreck - but show some class. Oh, and "dazzling" not SOTU by Trump. He managed to not be a complete ass for once - I guess a win - but just typical platitudes without any substance...so maybe "dazzling" like a shiny object that temporarily distracts you from what's going on...

15. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

True. But if Trump fulfills his promises regarding infrastructure, the economy and immigration, the GOP will have locked up the working man's/woman's vote. Gonna be tough to deal with that.

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

That's the biggest if of all time...

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think the main target of this was the Republicans in Congress (i.e. grow a backbone).

Trump is Trump and will always have low approval numbers among independents / democrats even if he found a cure for cancer :).

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Now it's time for the right hand?

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

From what I've seen, I believe to be a Congressperson, you must surrender your backbone upon election...whether a (D) or (R) precedes your name...

20. SusanK macrumors 68000

21. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So you'd agree that when Obama gave what was commonly called his SOTU in 2009, he was also pitching to his ignorant base.

22. eatrains macrumors regular

Did you even read that article? It talks about why it wasn't called an SOTU.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Do you even agree with Trump? (Admittedly, an almost impossible question-given his stances or non-stances)So far he's intimated he's NOT a fiscal Conservative. Are you in the top 10% of earners? If not, you probably stand to lose some - though it might take a while for you to notice...

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Great. I'd be pleased

25. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The context of this discussion seems to eluded you. People calling Trump's address an SOTU is not new, because NPR made the same nit-pick back in 2009. So there was no reason for SusanK to insult Trump's base, but if there was, the same insult could be applied to Obama's base too, because they also called his speech a SOTU.