The disturbing trend of people losing Social Security benefits to student debt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shinji, Dec 20, 2016.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-social-security-benefits-to-student-debt/

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Get the government out of the student loan business.

3. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It's sad when investors can't take a haircut, investment entails risk.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

We should really be providing free (or highly subsized) higher education like pretty much every civilized country in the world does.

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

This is borderline fake news with that headline. Yes, people are getting their wages garnished, some happen to receive their wages from Social Security. This is not specific to student loans, it is specific to unpaid debt and garnishing wages.

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

if we fixed "lower" education we might not need that, "higher" education is fine as long as there are jobs for it. when CO's who pay decent wages leave you are stuck with a PHD while working at star bucks.
    er, source please.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Social Security benefits are not wages.

Please read the actual GAO report:
    http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-17-45

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

9. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

no need to offend me, some are really busy with other things , tons of crap on my plate right now. still thanks for the link.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You should know my posting style by now.

>Anything posted after a full break (like this) is a new thought cast out to the wind, not in direct reference to anyone.

I thought you knew me :(

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

:kiss: as mentioned I am SWAMPED (hope trump does not drain me :p). shooting off the hip here & there while my model regenerates , my plate is full and sadly not in the best ways, hate deadlines when it's not my fault, freaking salesmen make stupid commitments that are hard to meet :mad:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's why I always under promise and over deliver for my users. Now, I'm in IT and in charge of my own communications so I have more freedom in this regard than most. Anyway, I hope things slow down for you soon so you can enjoy the holidays with your family.

Happy Festivus.

13. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

14. BoxerGT2.5, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Most other civilized countries don't have to keep up a $600 billion defense budget. Most other countries also don't make every kid believe they can go to college. They usually separate the ones who are licking light sockets in the 3rd grade from those smart enough to grasp the concept of electricity. Put each kid in their respective "Track". Good luck getting that to fly in a nation where even the most retarded child is put into a classroom with his/her same aged peers because no one wants to hurt anyone's feelings. If the US wants "free college education" then you need to reform the entire system from elementary school and up.

15. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Social security is unique in that banks and other lenders normally can't garnish it, and student loan debt is unique in how hard it is to discharge. So it isn't that the basic concept broadly applies and the Washington Post chose to write "fake news" about a non-issue. Read the actual GAO report if you don't like their headline.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

We don't have to either.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But but won't somebody think of the Halliburton.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 20, 2016 ---
    We need to do away with public universities. Why should my tax dollars fund it but then have to pay an absorbent tuition on top of it. Either public colleges are free for those who pay taxes for it or we make it cheaper.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We actually spend closer to $600 billion. Still three times that of China. Like it or not it keeps us at the head of the international table.

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I did. I have concluded that deadbeats should pay their debts.

20. SusanK macrumors 68000

21. Snoopy4, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

When you compare the cost in terms of affordability, we aren't out of whack with the rest of the world. Free higher education is a myth, that and I doubt outside the US faculty members are taking in seven figures. If people think we're going to use taxpayer money to subsidize that nonsense, they're nuts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...eason-college-tuition-costs-so-much.html?_r=0

22. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Education greatly benefits society by reducing crime, poverty and cultivating a more informed citizenry. It actually has an exponentially higher ROI than spending $100 billion on a military jet that doesn't work or building new nuclear weapons when we already have enough to destroy the world many times over.

23. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

You totally missed the point.

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I do agree that college is overhyped and perhaps an unnecessary expectation "to be successful" in life. That's one reason I believe the college should not be "free". We have enough grads already who cannot find jobs, why flood the market even further with people who do not need to college and have society foot the bill. The fact of the matter is, despite the high sticker price of education in the US, which I do believe is out of control, education can be afforded by the poorest of the poor if they utilize financial aid resources and choose the right school. It may not be 100% free, but I see no issue with investing in your future on some level.

In general I think students need take more time to consider cost of education if they don't have families who can't or won't support them financially. Going to a $50,000/yr school on loans to major in ceramics is financial suicide.

I don't however agree with "tracks" starting early in childhood. Some students reach their academic prime later in life. I can think of multiple classmates growing up who were considered not so smart in elementary school, but eventually flourished and went on to high level schools. Meanwhile, some of the people who were thought to be smart evidently peaked too soon, ended up not doing so well in HS or on the SATs/ACTs, and went to mediocre schools.

My GF claims in middle school she was "retarded", below average in math and reading comprehension... despite highly educated parents and being raised in an affluent school system. She ended up however catching up in High School. Now she's in the top of her class in medical school and one of the best schools in the country. (She was also was fat... shhhh I didn't say that)