The DNC used incredibly weak passwords like 'obamain08'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 25, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"At least two different hacker groups associated with the Russian government were inside the networks of the DNC for about a year, reading emails, chats, and downloading private documents."
    They are pushing that narrative hard.

3. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Is your implication that they are making this up? Do you have any basis for these claims?

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

And the counter-narrative will be "Can Hillary prove that the Russians didn't hack and steal all the TS-SCI intelligence that she was illegally storing on her home server?"

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/why-some-leftists-defend-trumps-ties-to-russia.html

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

8. jerwin macrumors 65816

Generally, only "Russian Cyber Warriors" employ the types of malware that were detected on DNC servers. It's sort of akin to a bombing investigation-- the presence of Casio watch parts can tell you who did it-- even if perimeter security was so poor that "anyone" could have done it.

http://www.threatgeek.com/2016/06/dnc_update.html

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...p-research-has-a-russians-fingerprints-on-it/

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Given DNC's pathetic concept of security, a forensic analysis of their hard drives would likely reveal malware from Russia, China, Bulgaria, Ukraine, North Korea, Israel, and about 100 other countries and at least eight different root kits. Blind script kiddies could have hacked their servers.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Passwords are really a terrible form of security, but in cases where they must be used for sensitive data, these guys could use a standard that isn't quite so vulnerable to dictionary and to a lesser degree rainbow table attacks. I'm not sure whether other parties are any better, but this is definitely ridiculous.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hillary forgot that it wasn't her home computer.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably they are not any better. People tend to value passwords they can remember more than the security of something like Xjh79$gjk;75Kf##* that's generally fine for ordinary users, but people or organizations who are high value targets should be much more careful with security.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

wait so

pa$$word

is bad? Why didn't I get the memo :mad:

14. unlinked macrumors 6502a

You should be using pa$$w0rd

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Thanks I'll go fix that now ;)

16. zin macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight.

The DNC was breached. The State Department was breached. The Social Security Administration was breached. The Internal Revenue Service was breached. The accounts of the Director of the CIA were breached.

But Hillary's server, improperly containing highly sensitive classified information, housed in her basement with, to quote the FBI Director, not much protecting it, together with her devices remotely connecting to said server from places deemed "sophisticated adversaries", wasn't breached?

Understood.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

OFC not her password was

clintonFTW2016

It was totally secure

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Passwords aren't all that secure if the person can't in fact remember a really long very random or at least permuted one. It's not so much that it's easy to guess one with a few tries as it is that given any kind of compromised access, hashes of likely passwords could be compared against the compromised hash.

It would be a reasonable policy to avoid communicating secure information if they lack formal standards in place to avoid this kind of thing.

19. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

The big difference between all of those and Hillary's server... was that they were known to exist.

Hackers head out to attack a certain server as their goal. They don't just scan around for things and then go, sure, I'll hit this one."

Does that mean it wasn't hit. I dunno, but it doesn't mean it was either. And the FBI found no evidence of it being hacked either.

20. zin macrumors 6502

Who said nobody knew it existed? The FBI certainly said the opposite. The FBI also said they wouldn't have expected to find any evidence of a hack, either. I'm no computer scientist, but something tells me it wouldn't be terribly difficult for "sophisticated adversaries" to discern the domains being pinged by the U.S. Secretary of State using their networks.

21. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

With the long standing witch hunt by the GOP on Hillary, if this server had been known to exist while she SoS, they would have tried her then and there, not coming at her after she left the position.

22. zin macrumors 6502

The server already existed (at least, in terms of a personal system; there were multiple physical servers) before she was Secretary of State. It was used by Bill Clinton, according to Hillary Clinton.

Hardly a witch hunt. The investigation was headed by the FBI, not Congress.

23. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Was it known to anyone else beside the Clintons before the investigation, like from someone in the GOP? Nope, it wasn't.

24. zin macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I'm understanding your point. There is no witch hunt. The existence of the server, an unclassified system used to send and receive classified information, should have been disclosed to the U.S. Government regardless.