The Donald Meter May 2016

Donald Trump, The Best President of the United States?

• I love the Donald and want to have his children!

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Seriously, he's the best choice period.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • He is the best of the available choices (Dem & Rep)

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • He's flawed but better than any Democrat nominee.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I'd hold my nose and vote for him before any Democrat.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • As a Conservative, I'd either not vote (for him) or vote for Hillary instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As a Moderate, I'd vote for anyone but Trump.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • As a Liberal, I'd vote for anyone but Trump (no surprise).

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mr Trump the best or worst President of the United States? IMO, he'd be a better President than Ted Cruz, but the poll is based on Donald Trump being the Presidential Nominee. The poll provides a sliding scale of of how you feel about him.

Of interest is this article:
A Contested Republican National Convention: How It Would Work

What is a contested convention?
In most election years, one presidential candidate wins enough delegates during the primary-caucuses process in order for the presumptive nominee to earn a majority of the delegates before the convention begins. In a contested convention, however, no presumptive nominee exists because no candidate garners a majority of the delegates on the first ballot. So even though a convention is often just a perfunctory meeting for top party officials used to rally around the flag into the general election, a contested convention means the meetings actually make a pivotal difference for who the nominee will be.

Of interest Mr Trump needs to have a majority of delegates walking into the convention, as opposed to the most, the stated number: 1237. My understanding is he could, but maybe not. With less than 1237, it's not assured he will be the nominee, considering that half of Republicans (or more) think he's a terrible Republican. Although I think he has a better chance against Hillary than Cruz, he's still a terrible National candidate.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Personally I think he would be a disaster as a president. But if he does get the nomination it almost guarantees that a democrat will be in the White House for the next eight years, so I do hope he gets the nomination.

Reactions: Huntn

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Campaigns, Debates and the like are all part of the process leading up to the November Election. I continue to reserve my opinion, simply paying close attention to the ebb and flow of each parties candidates. As it relates to Trump, he's proof positive that the media has far too much power and influence in the process. Only time will tell what lies ahead.

Reactions: Meister

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I have to wonder how many Trump supporters think that he has actual public support, and not just a flock of people running to the primary booth to show theirs. In other words, I wonder how many Trump supporters are completely delusional.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
I have to wonder how many Trump supporters think that he has actual public support, and not just a flock of people running to the primary booth to show theirs. In other words, I wonder how many Trump supporters are completely delusional.
It seems he *does* have public support. What makes you think otherwise?

With his five blowout wins Tuesday night, Donald Trump has passed Mitt Romney’s popular vote total from four years ago and is on a trajectory that could land him more Republican votes than any presidential candidate in modern history – by a lot.

Trump surged to more than 10 million votes, according to totals that include Tuesday’s preliminary results across the Northeast. That’s already about 250,000 more than Romney earned in the entire 2012 primary season and 153,000 more than John McCain earned in 2008.

More significantly, Trump is positioned to easily pass the modern record-holder, George W. Bush, who collected 10.8 million votes in 2000.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/twelve-thirty-seven/2016/04/donald-trump-popular-vote-record-222510#ixzz472xEWxWg

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I love the Donald and I want to have his children.

The kid will have a thick head of toupee.
[doublepost=1461778393][/doublepost]
The same can be said of Hillary supporters.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Because he is far more unfavorable than Clinton among Independents.

Having a larger turnout in the primaries is far more irrelevant than most people believe. The people turning out to vote for Trump are mostly not new voters. They are just voters who rarely vote in primary elections. There is zero correlation between a high turnout in the primaries and a winner in the general election.

[Source]

Reactions: Huntn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Because he is far more unfavorable than Clinton among Independents.

Having a larger turnout in the primaries is far more irrelevant than most people believe. The people turning out to vote for Trump are mostly not new voters. They are just voters who rarely vote in primary elections. There is zero correlation between a high turnout in the primaries and a winner in the general election.

[Source]
The vast majority don't like either Trump or Clinton. I wonder what side will swallow harder when casting a vote.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Personally I think he would be a disaster as a president. But if he does get the nomination it almost guarantees that a democrat will be in the White House for the next eight years, so I do hope he gets the nomination.

Trump or Clinton or Sanders, the nation might have to take one on the chin for 4yrs and hope to Christ both parties can find someone who doesn't make us want to emigrate.

Limey77

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Trump or Clinton or Sanders, the nation might have to take one on the chin for 4yrs and hope to Christ both parties can find someone who doesn't make us want to emigrate.
Of the three you mention only one has any likelihood of actually being president and I'm sure she'll do a great job for eight years.

Hilary can still be beaten, but it won't be Sanders, Cruz or Trump that can do it. If she faces either Cruz or Trump it will be a stroll in the park victory. IF the republicans actually want to win then there will have to be some serious negotiations at the convention plus they'll have to convince Trump not to run as an independent, which will be tough.

Unless Trump can be convinced to bow out, then the republicans will lose the White House and they know it.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2008
Of the three you mention only one has any likelihood of actually being president and I'm sure she'll do a great job for eight years.

Hilary can still be beaten, but it won't be Sanders, Cruz or Trump that can do it. If she faces either Cruz or Trump it will be a stroll in the park victory. IF the republicans actually want to win then there will have to be some serious negotiations at the convention plus they'll have to convince Trump not to run as an independent, which will be tough.

Unless Trump can be convinced to bow out, then the republicans will lose the White House and they know it.
They're all dumpster fires and I doubt any of them would get a second term.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I hear about all these wins, but still have yet to personally meet one single actual Trump supporter. Over 300 Facebook friends (many of which are conservative), and hundreds more on numerous work sites, and not one. Seriously. I haven't met any. I don't see any signs driving around town. Even most of my conservative friends are against him. Even the first one that I thought, "now, this guy is a Trump supporter", thinks he's an idiot.

I think Trump has a rabid fan base who is going out of their way to support him and vote for him in the primaries. I don't deny that...they are flocking. But, in my opinion, that's pretty much it. There are vast numbers of people (in the Republican base) who likely do not support him.

It's my opinion, and I'll be the first to admit if I'm wrong. But I just don't think he has the actual support you think he does.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Although it's unlikely that i'll vote for Trump, I do despise Cruz and am not a big fan of Hillary either...so I'm waiting to see who Trump chooses as VP - because i'm fairly sure he'll be impeached his first term (if that comes to pass).