The Donald on McCain: "He's no war hero!"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Gotta love Trump, sometimes. Several billion dollars buys you a fearless mouth.

Republican candidates fired back at Donald Trump Saturday after the real estate billionaire-turned-presidential hopeful disparaged Sen. John McCain’s, R-Ariz., military record during an appearance at the Family Leadership Summit in Iowa.

“He’s not a war hero,” Trump said of McCain, a Vietnam War veteran who was held captive and tortured for more than five years at one of North Vietnam’s most notorious prisons.
    “He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured.” o_O

And then after comments like this, his numbers keep growing in the polls? Now taking the lead among Republican contenders. Wow.

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you want to critique Senator McCain's job as a Senator that is fair game, but this is a low blow. Considering Donald Trump received several draft deferments for Vietnam he's probably the last person that should be criticizing John McCain's military service.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Not a smart move on Trump's part.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The best comment on this came from Andy Horowitz:
    "Trump Says He Heroically Avoided Capture in Vietnam by Staying in U.S."

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Priceless.

6. APlotdevice, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Mr Trump, you have officially proven yourself to be lower than cow dung.

I'm hardly a huge fan of McCain, but at least the dude actually served, rather than dodging the draft like so many of his colleagues. And then Trump tries to pass his own draft dodge off as heroic?! Trump, please do us all a favor and jump off the top of your precious Trump Tower. You worthless lump of human-shaped flesh.

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I absolutely LOVE Trump and have supported him since day one. For the first time, we have a candidate who is rich and un-afraid to admit it. Regarding his comments on McCain, I refuse to denounce them at this time.

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

The truth is McCain is absolutely a loser as Trump has said because he has done nothing to help Veterans. Trump has a record of helping them and will do so when elected President.

9. aaronvan, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, to be honest McCain did sit out the Vietnam War...in the Hanoi Hilton. :p

However, McCain is a rabid neocon who still defends the Iraq invasion. He really needs to retire.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Thank you! I was struggling to understand who Trump's constituency is. Until now.

11. Robisan macrumors 6502

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I hope there's a new Trump thread tomorrow when he farts.

#needoneaday

13. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

???

In 2000, wasn't Franken a washed-up comic between jobs?

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Apparently the closest he go to being a presidential candidate was to publish this book in 1999 ...

False equivalency, anyone?

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Trump is a piece of ****. I don't agree with John Mccain politically, but the guy was a navy aviator who was shot down, survived, and was in one of the most notorious POW prisons ever for over 5 years. Trump's rich daddy got him out of serving.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're asking us about a statement made 15 years ago? Many of us weren't even old enough to vote back then! Also stuff like that didn't spread quite as quickly back before we had sites like Twitter and Youtube.

And personally I think Trump's claim that he himself WAS a hero for being deferred makes his statement far, FAR more outrageous.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Look at most of our join dates for MacRumors.

Most of us weren't here to talk about it.

(in fact, I just checked ... MacRumors was launched 15 years, 5 months ago.)

19. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Funny definition of "hero" some people have...

For me a "hero" is someone who make a conscious decision going into danger to do something good.

Very few soldiers will ever pass that line.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It may be partly the extremity of the comments and that he supposedly relied on draft deferments. I would say that it's probably mostly because he's already known for jackass comments. Trump himself has been associated with Democrats as well, but even if that was still the case, I don't think he would see any real support on here.

The guy is full of rhetoric as usual.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Our very own narcissistic member unabashedly loves Trump. Who would have thought that?

Nice to see Donnie getting into the Swift Boat business to replace his lost partnerships.

If Donnie wasn't a draft dodger and was captured, the Hanoi Hilton would have been the yogurt most besets Hilton in the world.

Also nice to see the GOP condemn this just like they did when it was done to Kerry. Wait, what?

22. samiwas macrumors 65816

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From a purely military-historical perspective, it does have to be said that the US' treatment of its own former POWs is somewhat unique.

I can remember about fifteen years ago seeing a quite elderly man driving a Honda Accord with POW plates on it, and thinking "I'm gonna guess you were a prisoner of the Germans during WWII."

For most of military history the treatment of prisoners was decided haphazard. Armies could generally barely manage to feed and house their own troops, so captured soldiers were usually put to death immediately, turned to slavery, or left to die on their own. Captured officers, conversely, were treated quite differently - especially if they were rich. They were often exchanged for an officer of equal rank held by the opposing side. But until the exchange took place, they were free to live as well as they could afford, eating in restaurants, drinking wine, etc. Exchange of officer prisoners continued up until the time of the US Civil War, when it was discontinued on the orders of US Grant.

It was really WWII that caused a fundamental rethink in the treatment of POWs. Mechanized armies and fleets of aircraft meant that it was now quite common for huge numbers of enemy troops to find themselves captured, often in circumstances that brought no discredit upon their fighting abilities. Treatment of POWs ranged from the dreadful (ie. the Eastern Front, where Russians caught by the Nazis starved to death, or were dragooned into fighting on behalf of the Germans. On the end of the war, those lucky enough to survive were promptly sent to Gulags by Stalin.) - to exactingly proper:
    Germans imprisoned by the US found themselves living lives of comparative luxury and ease compared to their countrymen back in Germany. German officers were even paid wages comparable to their US counterparts, meaning a fair number returned to Germany after the war with a reasonable nest egg.

British POWs of the Nazis received a somewhat different reception. For a long time cultural appreciation centered on the exploits of British and commonwealth POWs attempts to escape: movies like the Great Escape and the popular Colditz tv show. (In reality escape attempts rarely ended up with successful results.)

US States started issuing special motor vehicle license plates in the early 1980s. Prior to that time there simply had be no thought amongst our wider society towards honoring former POWs. Organizations such as National League of Families (with its familiar black POW/MIA flag) heightened public awareness of the plight of missing and POW troops in a way that probably had not happened previously.

Trump is an idiot. And comments like the ones he made concerning Senator McCain simply illustrate his fundamental unfitness for high Government office of any description.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

While acknowledging in the last decade or so, some of our politicians have had a bad habit of mischaracterizing practically any citizen who dies at the hands of another as heroes, a hero requires:

Senator McCain meets this qualification and Trump in comparison is a loud mouthed idiot of a talking head. I'm thrilled and simultaneously dismayed that he currently leads in the GOP Presidential poll. This country is seriously ****** up.

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Sorry for all the Family Guy clips today, but this is just so fitting and yet so wrong. :D