The Donald -vs- Hillary?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's certainly looking like that. Hillary has the nomination in the bag and Trump is finally demonstrating some discipline on the campaign trail, probably as a result of his new campaign manager. Even if Trump doesn't reach the magic number of 1237 delegates, he'll still get the nomination. What, they're gonna give it to Cruz? Not gonna happen. Unless Hillary has a stroke or Trump gets bumped at the convention by Paul Ryan, it's Trump v Clinton. Man, this is going to be ugly.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My hope is that Kasich will get the nomination if Trump doesn't make it on the first ballot. At least then there would be a choice. If Trump gets nominated, the Democrats could nominate a hamster and I would vote for it in preference to Trump.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Looks like I'll be voting for Gary Johnson since I hate both of them.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

If he gets the nomination. I voted for him last time. However, this year I will put all the third-parties in a hat and draw my vote.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

She has more votes that Trump. Not only nationally, but even in his home state. He won't win his home state! Combined with the defections of Republicans things don't look good. But before we can get to the ugliness of the race between frontrunners, we'll have to get through the ugliness of the GOP convention. Expect lots of booing! Even Republicans yesterday said their party is divided over Trump. And that's in NY, his home state!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 20, 2016 ---
    Well, maybe Gary Johnson will be the sleeper candidate who sneaks into the White House. :) I wouldn't place a bet on that though.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Any talks of Sanders running as an independent? I know he said no, but it was a long time ago, before he got the traction he has now. After all, he's pretty much always been an independent.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Between Hillary and Trump, I hope...I hope...hell, I don't know what I hope. It's all kinda bad when you get right down it.

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Maybe Bernie will be Trump's running mate.

10. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

If it came down to it, i'd probably throw my hat in with Trump.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn"

11. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I vote Mickey Mouse. Either we have a psychopath or a sociopath in office after this election.

12. cube, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016

cube macrumors G5

I thought you could just write in whoever you want in the US.

Nobody needs the popular vote. The electoral college is there to make negotiations.

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I want to see how trump does in real debates and real attacks should be interesting when he can't run way or threaten to sue.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, I guess if everything's gonna end, it might as well be entertaining. TRUMP 2016!

15. TheHateMachine, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016

TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Next week on the exciting conclusion to "The POTUS". Sixteen nations are setup to compete for the adoration of the United State's own Presidential Elect Donald Trump. Who will he pick and who will he send a letter simply saying "You're nuked!".

Tune in the season finale we have all been waiting for.

16. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

I mean.. how can she lose? Every person with a right mind knows Trump is an idiot (sorry, but the US already had G.W. Bush as president who wasn't very bright either, but Trump is even worse). But fortunately he managed to prevent Cruz and Rubio, who are (somehow) intelligent and dangerous.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

Well, if you want to extend the entertainment as long as possible, and enroll the largest number of entertainers, you should hope for a 3rd-party run that manages to win some significant electoral votes.

If the result is that no one has an Electoral College majority, then we get to wait for the actual Electoral College vote. The entertainment opportunity there lies with either unpledged or faithless electors. Especially enterntaining would be if any of the candidates began an open attempt to solicit electors. It'd be campaign season all over again:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unpledged_elector
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

Then if the Electoral College fails to come up with a majority, even with wildcard electors, the House gets to take over. Then we get to watch States with split delegations decide how their single vote per State will go. Lots of opportunities there for wrangling and fisticuffs.

Then consider the possibility that no candidate voted on by the House gets the necessary majority.

Finally, consider the possibility that Ted Cruz goes all the way to the Electoral College, only to have his qualification challenged there. Even if SCOTUS denies standing until then, they'd have to grant standing to the Electoral College, since electing a President and VP is their sole task.

Gosh, the entertainment options might stretch well into 2017. What fun that would be!!

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Very. Not sure who the b***h is in Hillary's body. Serious shift left. :eek:

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

This is America, land of Honey Boo boo, the Krapdashians, Jersey shore, 19 & counting, Jerry springer , maury povich, etc etc etc. never underestimate stupid people in large groups.

20. zin macrumors 6502

Mrs. Clinton is unlikable and shady. Her favorability has been plummeting since December and she is becoming a serious liability.

I hate to say it, but Hillary has skeletons in her closet. She has flip flopped on many issues. She flip flopped on issues between being first lady and U.S. Senator from New York (see: bankruptcy reform, which she pressured Bill to veto, then voted for it as senator). Not to mention trade agreements, single-payer, and the hypocrisy of bending campaign finance laws whilst at the same time vehemently opposing big money in politics. Then comes the issue of her transcripts of speeches to large financial corporations, to which she increased her personal wealth to the tune of millions of dollars; Mrs. Clinton took every precaution over those speeches, including ensuring that she retained full legal ownership of the transcripts so only she could release them.

Not only that, but Mrs. Clinton has some of the poorest judgement around. First came Iraq, then comes Libya (to which she was the Secretary of State responsible). Her emails and record show that she is addicted to intervening militarily to advance some American imperialist agenda. She is nothing but a hawk.

And then comes the infamous Clinton cackle, used most notoriously in the Democratic debate in Brooklyn. It is clear Mrs. Clinton never likes being challenged on anything. She either cackles in response to the question or she deflects.

On the other hand, Mr. Trump has no idea what he is doing and his rhetoric and badly thought-out policies on immigration (and almost everything else) don't do him service. But he isn't a neocon (as far as an addiction to imperialism goes), does not support these awful trade agreements, and doesn't owe anybody anything.

If I could vote it would be Trump, not because I support Trump, but instead to keep Hillary out, which is a seriously crazy thing for me to say.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Nightmare scenario. Utter nightmare.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think he has much of a chance at winning the whole thing, but given how tarnished the Republican brand is I think there is an opening for them to ditch the religious right by moving to the Libertarian party, and using it as a vehicle to replace the Republican Party over the course of a few cycles.

The only way that will happen though is if the Libertarian Party emerges as a credible challenger. That can happen with Trump as a nominee, then some of the Republican politicians who have said they will never support Trump endorse Johnson, and throw enough support that he wins a couple states. He might even be able to win more than Trump if he turns traditionally Republican states into swing states.

If Johnson can win a couple states this time, then the Libertarian Party would need to get a couple people into Congress in the next midterm election, and they could grow from there.

23. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Sanders has done very impressively considering everything involved. But Hillary is the more pragmatic of the two candidates. Her husband, as president, did sign a number of great things - like FMLA. Her own website goes into an amount of detail on the course she wants to set and, unlike Obama, it stands to reason that she is less likely going to be used as the GOP's plank to be walked on - though most of us, even me, understands the value of compromise. It's been pointed out (by many) Obama sometimes had to compromise too much, but that's neither here not there.

There are a couple issues Trump could use to make Clinton's journey more difficult. Whether he brings them up, and even if they are of concern, are his issues as candidate. I don't think he will, nor are they obvious - since he will naturally bring up what's more well-known...

24. chown33 macrumors 604

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You'd have to make sure the hamster made honest choices and was not manipulated by a tasty treat. :D