The DPRK detonates another Nuke?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Sep 2, 2017.

1. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Here's to hoping Trump not starting a Twitter spat with the DPRK's Twitter account.

Adding this to my "things I never thought I'd say in my life" file.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How about hoping for not a ****ing war in NK?

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

Wars are often started because of egos rubbing against each other. With few being for logistical advances.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's all good and well, but you seem to be pretty eager for the US to get involved and for Trump to look bad. Keep in mind that Trump looking bad likely means world war 3 ie China doesn't like it.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Sigh, my stocks are going to take a dip tomorrow.. >_<

Trump has been the most annoying thing for the stock market presently, ever since he took seat. I'd love for him to just shut up. He could really take some hints from the Obama administration on how to deal with North Korea.

[​IMG]

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

Not quite. Historically, war is good for sitting Presidents, especially those with low approval rates, like Trump. I'm not sure why you believe I'm eager for war. Do you say that because I've been very blunt with my previous statements of investing in defense? The concept of war isn't bad if it's fairly localized. The concept of a nuclear North Korea worries me. You would have known this had you read my post on the matter in the other North Korea thread.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2017 ---
    There was a time earlier in the year my portfolio was yoyo-ing like a drug addict. I considered pulling out but figured he couldn't floor the economy like Bush. Tech stocks are doing pretty well.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You think anyone gives two ***** about NK itself? A local war isn't what anyone is worried about.
    Yeh take a note from Obama, let them expand their capacity until they really can drop a nuke in Cali.

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

Is there a real need to curse? You're behaving irrationally right now. I fear that you're too close to this emotionally, due to your brother being stationed in Eastern Europe. I feel that his situation is clouding your judgement and ability to respond in a civilized manner.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I cuss all the time. I don't want to see another war break out, too many friends and family members ****ed up from what we have done so far. No one gives a **** about these people when they come back ****ed up.

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

If this degrades into a real atomic war, there won't be an "over there". No one is going to come out clean.
    Initial reports put it at 120 Kiloton.

12. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Well, so much for all that hardline talk eh?

Anyone got any ideas about how to get around this? Military option obviously not an option, not without millions dying in South Korea anyway. How do we get out of this one?

13. lostngone thread starter macrumors 65816

lostngone

We buy him out.

14. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Utterly distasteful option, but at least millions don't die. Trouble is, how do we know he won't just spend it all on more military projects? That's the problem with NK, the leadership see the population as completely disposable.

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I don't think you realize what would happen to NK if they ever did such a thing. It is not an option to do so for the regime in any way.

16. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Either we surrender immediately or we ignore the situation.
    We remember that the big advantage of nuclear weaponry is cost. More bang for the buck. No need to fly a thousand bombers over a city stuffed with civilians.
    We remember that we have a missile shield and are invulnerable to small numbers of nukes.
    (That this kills the mutually assured destruction ploy viz a viz Russia is more important but not the subject of this thread).
    We remember he is probably only bragging about fitting one to an ICBM. And we let Japan, S. Korea and China talk to them. No point in us doing it. We are not at risk.

17. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Um, no. Please note that, while very cool, the "hit a bullet with a bullet" concept is extremely difficult. It requires that (a) we have perfect knowledge of the course of the incoming missile, and have this information very rapidly after liftoff: (b) that we have an appropriate interceptor at an appropriate location along the path of the incoming missile, and that said interceptor is already prepared and in launch position; (c) that the incoming missile does not use any chaff or decoy warheads or break apart in flight, all of which can confuse radar; and (d) that the interceptor performs flawlessly and does not miss by so much as a centimeter, because only a perfect hit counts with a kinetic weapon.

And in any case, while Kim may have only a few nuclear warheads, he's got hundreds of missiles. There's no reason why he wouldn't send a nuclear missile without surrounding it by dozens of conventional ones.

(And this completely ignores the possibility of a nuke in a submarine or a cargo container.)

In short, we are not invulnerable to small numbers of nukes. We are, frankly, quite vulnerable to even a single nuke.
    It appears that Trump's first reaction to this latest test is to once again play the "China" card. Not that he seems to know what to do with it, however:

Screenshot from 2017-09-03 07-42-36.png Screenshot from 2017-09-03 07-42-55.png

18. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

According to North Korea state media, North Korea has successfully conducted a undergroubd Hydrogen Bomb. 6.3M earthquake was felt in China.

This test was direct response to Trump's comment on North Korea. Trump's call with Japan's Prime Minister indicated that the North Korea's missile test was major escalation and Trump's fire and fury.

North Korea is now capable to lunch ICBM with nuclear bomb to USA. And world can do very little about it. Kim Jong In konws this and they are playing within the limited. A full scale war with North Korea is highly unlikely and the potential nuclear strike is very dangerous to South Korea and Japan.

@darksithpro Kim Jong In not only didn't back down as you originally hoped for, but this crazy man is even more crazy now. Threatening North Korea won't work, we can only have negotiation with North Korea. War is not an option, talk is only option

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And Trump is attacking South Korea on Twitter. And when he says NK only understands one thing what does he mean? Certainly his bluster hasn’t scared them. Does he mean preemptive military action? Sitting at 34% in the polls can Trump afford to take the country into a nuclear war with NK? Also why would any foreign leader tell him anything as he’s sure to blab about it on Twitter at some point.

[​IMG]

20. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Trump does not understand international politics. There are legitimate concern with South Korea and Japan. If war break out and we can't finish Kim Jong Un in first strike, then South Korea and Japan will suffer greatly. Even if North Korea can't attack USA, they are certainly capable attack South Korea and Japan. The death tolls would be very significant.

Whether people like it or not, Kim knows nuclear weapons protects him from US. US can't just going in. If one thing Steven Bannon is right, he is right at North Korea basically gets US. There aren't any space to play with

21. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

NK's nukes are a problem both Bush 2 and Obama punted on ever since Bill Clinton made the awful deal to give NK nuclear reactors. Nothing about the Clinton-NK nuclear deal was upheld. Clinton leveled-up NK's WMD program (along with later help from Pakistan) and his successors didn't have the balls or foresight to nip the problem in the bud. With his appeasement of NK, Bill Clinton rivals Neville Chamberlain in the history books for the title of biggest geopolitical dunce of all time.

Every year we wait, NK slowly refines its tech and capabilities with longer range missiles and more fissile material. The longer we wait, the increased range and scope of their destruction when they finally get literally triggered. If and when that day comes, Seoul is wiped from the map, parts of Japan get hit, there's a chance our shores get nuked, and there's a chance the supposed EMP they have in one of their orbiting satellites goes off above the middle of the country.

China complicates the situation. Their state media posted something pledging to defend NK if they were attacked, but pledging to remain neutral if NK did the attacking. What a great trade partner! Pay attention: Whenever Trump mentions a trade war or tariffs with China, NK's soon boasts about its capabilities or missile launches or nuclear tests. China pretends to be a superpower, but can't even deal the problem in their own back yard. Just trade war China until they fix the NK problem or stop giving them military support. It gives us reason to rebuild our manufacturing at home and become less China-dependant, anyway.
    You've got the playbook.

There's a reason he's involving them every time NK goes off and does something stupid. He publicly casts China in a light of being "incapable". I think it's part of a ramp up to a trade war or the threat of one to force China to stop pussyfooting around.

22. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yeah, well, this is where Trump's "unpredictability" bites him in the butt. One day, Trump will be calling China a currency manipulator, the next he'll be saying it's our best friend. He'll say China is helping NK too much, then the next day he'll be all happy that China is actually making strides to contain NK, then the very next day he'll once again be saying that China is not doing enough. He'll threaten a trade war one day, then go hat-in-hand for a new trade deal the next.

Trump might have a chance, if he could just choose a strategy and stick with it. Instead, he seems insistent on pressing every button and pulling every lever the office of the president has available, which only ends up muddying whatever signal he wants to send to China. Assuming he has a signal he wants to send to China...

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ok, I'm being a broken record once again, but let me repeat myself. The US has been unable to "go in" to North Korea for the past 60 years. North Korea doesn't need nuclear weapons for deterrence; it has had China for that, and it still does have China for that. I would personally expect that the moment China revoked its alliance with North Korea, that state would be doomed, nukes or no nukes; they are simply too scary a proposition to the rest of the world...

24. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

So the racoon is kicking the seat harder...not a surprise as September rolls along.

I believe NOKO ballistic missile capable submarines is very limited.

Cargo ships carrying improvised nuclear weapons from any country has been a real threat for decades. Detection methods have been employed to help mitigate this risk.

NOKO is a dangerous country who has gotten more dangerous the last ten years. Russia and China should have to help carry the water for ignoring and placating them. I don't know if there's much help coming from the Kremlin though. I'd expect more ignoring and placation.

NOKO has very limited military ability at the moment. If NOKO launches a nuclear weapon right now the country would be demolished militarily and politically. They can't win even if they can get a single punch at someone.

If anyone thinks NOKO is crazy enough to do it now without any real gain, then they also ought to be advocating strong and decisive reaction to limit their punching power. Alternatively the world can bury its head in the sand for another decade hoping a country that is already threatening nuclear strikes continues to build and improve their nuclear arsenal will suddenly come to their senses.

Pick your poison.