The Draft

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, Aug 22, 2008.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

With McCain's campaign waffling around and being cagey about his real position with regard to bringing back the military draft, I've been thinking about the draft quite a bit lately (especially because we're at war and I'm a 20 year old male). I'm interested to see what people here have to say about the idea of bringing back the draft.

Being anti-war myself it would seem clear at first that the draft is antiquated nonsense that we should leave behind...but really it could be amazingly good for the country. The way I see it, the reason we've allowed the Bush administration to push into the middle east and burn bridges with former Allies around the world is that very few Americans really have anything to lose if we send soldiers overseas.

If we brought back the draft, suddenly the boyfriends, husbands, sons, brothers and friends of nearly everyone in the country would be eligible to be sent to war. Why have protests against the Iraq war been so unbelievably anemic? Because to the vast majority of Americans the war is even less real than a war movie on HBO.

In some way I think that having the draft would be just the dose of reality that this country seems to need. People would be more tuned into politics as a few swishes of pen could send their loved ones to war unwillingly.

McCain appears to be struggling with the same issues, albeit horribly ungracefully in the public eye.

This is the kind of stuff that pops out of my head at 3:30am. Bah. Thoughts?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the military would MUCH rather have a volunteer force than a forced one. makes training so much easier among other things

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If there were a draft I sure wouldn't stick around to be a victim of it.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i hope youd prepare for the consequences of your actions

if i knew of draft dodgers, i would most definitely report them if there was indeed a draft

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Prepared for the consequences? You mean staying with some friends up in Canada? I'd be perfectly fine with that. In fact if a draft were introduced soon it would probably speed up what I plan to do anyway.

6. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

It would be cheaper to offer Mexicans and other foreign nationals a path to citizenship in exchange for five or ten years of service.

There are plenty of people who would see that as a good deal, and it's really a no brainer, since they will come out of the military with some skills and having been subject to military discipline through their most rowdy years (18-28).

From a political (or cynical) point of view it makes sense because white middle class people don't really care who dies to make sure their cars keep running as long as it isn't white middle class people like themselves.

Remember how in Apocalypse Now when they get to the worst end of the line, the soldiers there are all black. Like that.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And what the hell is the US going to do when I'm halfway around the world?

The hardest part of draft for me would be deciding which country in Europe I want to move to.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well pretty much forget any chance of living in the us if you dodge the draft. you will not be able to find work and would most likely get jailed

i am somewhat appalled and disgusted by the attitude in some of these posts...

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The Romans did something like that. :rolleyes:

10. iGary Guest

iGary

If it were to directly defend THIS country, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with it.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That would be fine. If I did dodge, I would have no intention on setting foot in the states again and I would be just fine with that.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Haha! :D
    Exactly. Rome collapsed, chaos ensued, and Europe fell into the Dark Ages.

13. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Bear in mind that most of the people posting here are either are being/have been college educated, so the odds of any of you being drafted as a soldier in the classical sense of a gun are quite long. More likely you'll be drafted in as an officer or something, at least, going on what I know of the U.S. military.

Most of the people boasting that they'll flee to Canada are saying so safe in the knowledge that a draft is incredibly unlikely. It would be political suicide given the absence of an active threat (not that 'COMMIES!!!111eight' was an active threat, but people still bought it) and besides, who needs a standing army when you have Blackwater?

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

those guys scare me. dont really have to follow any guidelines

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It would be political suicide for any congressman who supported it. Voting rate would increase over night by a huge amount and it would be to get those people out of office.

16. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I think the draft is totally unconstitutional. The U.S. government cannot constitutionally force people to serve it's purposes, and/or send people away to die.

If there was a real threat, I am sure more people would sign up (ala WWII, even though there was a draft at the time). But most citizens know that this phony "War" on terror is totally made up so the defense contractors make big bucks, and we citizens are put in our normal place of fear.

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If Australia had a drafting system in place, I'd ditch this joint in a snap.

I can see the OP's point about the reality check, but the problem would be recruiting people who are against the war, not just indifferent to it.

If a draft occurred, the lower class would go because the want to, the middle class would go because they have to, and the upper class would leave the country because they don't want anything to do with it.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Let's start small.

2 years required military service, as some countries already do.

Why wait for war-footing conscription. Make yourself ready and strong first.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I agree with this and believe that it would be a good idea.

For those who are conscientious objectors, they would serve their country in other capacities.

All would go through a basic/boot camp regardless of the path afterwards.

Those who successfully complete the mandatory 2 years, would then be allowed citizen right's like voting, property ownership, tuition assistance and the like.

21. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Are you saying citizens wouldn't get these rights until after the said "mandatory" service? Doesn't the Constitution guarantee these rights to ALL citizens, no matter what? Or maybe you're not talking about U.S. law.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If history is any example, they'll pardon all the draft dodgers after a few years.

Please, that's the easiest part... Switzerland! :D
    ...No extradition for military or political offenses, and they're fiercely neutral so you can be quite certain they won't get tangled up in the war you're trying to evade. Plus there's the cheese, chocolate... need I go on?

That's what I'm counting on as well. Plus, there'd be too large a debate on the topic of drafting woman; until now it hasn't mattered, but if the draft were reinstated I guarantee you we'd see many passionate protesters from both sides.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just an idea for a change. :)

BTW, tuition assistance is not covered under the constitution.

24. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I was focused more on property rights, voting, and such. I over-read the tuition assistance you mentioned.

I would just be concerned that your idea would scrap all of the pieces that make this country unique and great. It would scrap our Constitution. The same paper that guarantees us a free and democratic society.

Granted, over the past 50+ years, the government has stripped half of the Bill of Rights, and bent the Constitution to their liking. But the founders of this country were truly geniuses and warned against most of the things that our government commits today (ie. un-declared wars, tangling alliances, intrusions into our privacy, the coining of money by somebody other than Congress).

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The draft would be political suicide for whichever party managed to push it through. Keep in mind the military now allows women to serve and you couldn't get away with a male only draft without some sort of discrimination lawsuit so you'd not only have people's sons/brothers/fathers being drafted you'd also have to deal with the daughters/sisters/mothers being drafted.

Luckily I think I'm old enough now that if they stick to the age limits they had in the past and if things got that desperate I'd most likely be shoved into some sort of equipment maintenance type position given my engineering degrees and past experience working for a defense contractor.

As for draft dodgers never being allowed back, remind me where Cheney and Rumsfeld were again during Vietnam?