The Drugging of the American Boy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

TOO many students are on adderall & other stupid crap at school, hell aderall sells for 3-5 per pill during exam time to help the kids "study" :rolleyes: , we are growing generations of kids on drugs pretending they can't function w/o them, too many POS parents are taking the easy way out and just opting for a pill.

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

De-balling the American male is a growing problem.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I would guess there are plenty of women on drugs as well.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Pills instead of reprimands (or tolerance, in other circumstances), I agree!

But that's okay, we're offshoring, automating, or using illegals to drive down wages for everything else so who cares? In the 1960s, everyone was drugged up too.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

problem is plenty will grow up dependent on drugs or thinking they are worthless & can't function w/o pills. not to mention actual damage done to them from extended drug use.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

There's definitely an issue with over-prescribing. I have friends who are teachers who have told me that 60 percent (about) are on one pill or another. Now I am sure a one or two kids in their classes might benefit from drug therapy. But I am sure the rest of the kid are just being KIDS.

7. daflake macrumors 6502a

We medicate for everything nowadays. It is pretty sad.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That's true, but you should note that the generation raising these kids are the most antidepressant/antianxiety/need sleep pills/need wine/booze generation yet.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Meanwhile, Obama considers marijuana just as dangerous as heroin, ecstasy, and LSD. Big Pharma is happy, but what happened to science? I thought the Obama administration was all about science?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He's a corporatist, is this hard to understand?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

EXACTLY, sold out the poor to the insurance industry.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

ADHD is a heinously overdiagnosed and overly medicated condition.

I think there are a few factors
    1) Many young boys have lots of energy and don't sit still, that doesn't mean they need Ritalin
    2) Many parents want to give their kids a competitive edge academically
    3) Many teenage boys get a buzz of drugs like adderall and notice an improvement in their school work, so they run off and get a script.
    4) Diagnositc criteria pretty much boils down to self reported impaired focus or parents telling a physician

The fact of the matter is there are people with ADD that respond very wel to stimulants. With no meds they're bouncing off the walls, on meds they become normal. This tends to be a very small portion of the ADHD patients I see.

There's non-narcotic solutions than your Adderalls and Ritalins, that many people don't like because they're looking for an effect of feeling buzzed rather than focused. Lifestyle and behavioral modification are also two options not taken seriously.

It's really become a cultural thing. People expect to fix their percieved ailments and shortcoming with a pill.

There have been drugs in the passed really pushed by mfgs onto doctors, Adderall seems to be one that people really go out and demand for themselves.

13. daflake macrumors 6502a

It isn't just ADHD though. I was overweight and my triglycerides were high. Instead of telling me to go workout, they tried to give me a pill. I declined and hit the gym and haven't looked back. You can't create a drug for everything.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

parents want a pill for everything nowadays. anyways. NSFW

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Around here most docs don't prescribe stimulants for obesity unless the patient is so large and immobile that they cannot adequately excercises. Stimulants make excellent appetite suppressants which is an issue for most ADHD patients.

I have seen some docs Rx stimulants occasionally for anhedonia, which is the inability to feel any pleasure - often associated with depression.

There's not a lot of conclusive evidence on long term effects of ADHD but I have to wonder about long term nutritional deficits having an effect. There is some question about Parkinson's-like effects (similar to LT use of cocaine) down the road dude to the excess dopamine from the drug screwing with the brains dopiminergic system. Granted, this likely would only happen after decades of use.

ADHD used to be thought of a children's condition, however it's becoming more accepted as an adult condition too. I'm sure you've seen the commercials.

Stimulants benefit almost anyone who can tolerate them. I wish the prescribing would be reeled in a bit. Long term effects are one thing, but stimulants can also be very addicting and an addiction is not something I'd wish upon anyone.

16. BernyMac, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Drugs are easier to prescribe than obligating the family/society/village to raise the child. Too many people involved, too much commitment needed...nobody has the time/inclination/fortitude.

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That guy is nothing but a low-down, dirty, piece of crap, joke thief.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

You're right, there's no reason for a lot of us to buy into drugs for which we have no clear need. But I have a feeling the pharmaceutical companies would like to create a drug for still more things, just in case we can be persuaded that we need them as much as their bottom line needs us to buy them.

I'm not saying don't take medication that's properly prescribed, and that doesn't have a natural subsitute like exercise or diet tweaks for the average otherwise healthy person.

I'm saying a) bad mistake to let pharma retail ads to consumers (in the guise of "your need to know" or whatever) and b) docs need to wise up and ask themselves whether patient actually needs a script when something else might do, like a walk around the block at lunch or a workout at the gym. The doctors get relentlessly hammered on by pharmaceutical reps.

Not sure how this country went down this road but we seem take more drugs to "feel right" or "perform better" than people in other countries and I find it extremely disconcerting. We are supposedly free to make these decisions for ourselves, along with our physicians. But it may not really be deciding, maybe more like just reacting to marketing and then peer pressure to be cool, get with it.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

One of the reasons I like my doctor. He's someone who subscribes to the notion that less is better. He'd rather suggest a diet change or exercise regimen vs a pill. When we looked at pediatricians, we wanted one who also felt the same - even if it was just antibiotics, etc.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

If the rest are not just being kids then what the hell have we done to our environment or to the psychological ambience of our families that that so many of the children need to be medicated.

More of my nextgens have asthma or allergies than the older gens did. I don't know what that's about. Sometimes I think people went overboard on cleaning supplies and made almost sterile environments for their kids instead of letting them develop immune systems by getting into all the grit, grot and whatever that we did as children. Other times I think it's in the carpets or the drapes or the drywall. Then I realize I cannot resolve this so I shrug and go back to my beach read. But the wondering sticks in my head.

Not intended to drift off topic there. Anyway I have a feeling some of the overmedication for "ADHD" is parents wanting to get a leg up for their kids' performance in school so can get good grades, get into good college. The pressure is on when you're in preschool already. It's insane. The world still needs good draftsmen and carpenters and you do not have to go to college to do those things. You can be happy making not a whole lot of money and make a difference on planet earth with a community college education and a smile on your face. No, everyone dreams of Harvard. Take the little pill and you can get there? Is this what some of it's about?

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

too many Americans want the answer in the form of a pill .

22. Zenithal, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016

Zenithal macrumors 68040

When I was of young school age, what's known as ADHD today was known as being undisciplined and uncoordinated. Parents seem to want to blame ADHD for childrens' behavior without taking the time to investigate whether their parenting played a part or not in their children's unruly behavior.

I'm sure ADHD does exist in kids, but it has to be a minority percentage. I'm not too keen on giving children what are essentially amphetamines so that they can pay attention.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yes, but sadly patients these days figure if they see a doctor and don't get a drug, then the doctor sucks, doesn't understand/care, and they go off in a huff to find a new doctor. To be fair though, part of the equation in prescribing is how seriously a patient will follow through with lifestyle modification (if that's an option). There are some patients are are all into the LM and hollisitic approach, but they are in the vast minority.

As a clinical pharmacist I do a lot of reconciliation and management of medicines for patients. I firmly believe less is often more. I get patients coming in on 10 psychiatric meds prescribed by 4 different doctors and often ween that way down and they often do way better.

Adderall is literally amphetamines. Vyvanse is basically a prodrug of amphetamine (meaning it gets metabolized to amphetamines). Desoxyn is prescription methamphetamine.

But like I said, there's a multitude of non-narcotic options out there.

24. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Why aren't they pushed then? Lower efficacy rate? I'm not sure when Adderall became common place, but when I was in university, our idea of a peppy pill for non ADHD people was a beer or two, and zippy pills, otherwise known as caffeine at 200 mg a pop. At the time, there was a Sav On (not a store you'd know now, you were too young then) a short walk from the UCLA campus and groups of us would would there and buy the lot out from the store in droves. If you couldn't get there in time before they ran out, you had to hit up the health food stores across the city and pray they didn't jack up the price of their caffeine supplements to extort us. Tuition may have been dirt cheap then, but weren't exactly "Big Pimping" like Hieveryone thinks people who attended those schools are. Granted I spent a fair amount of money on booze in those days.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Someone being on ten psych meds at once sounds like quite a ball of yarns to unravel.

How could one even know what side effects belong to what drug any more.

This is what I mean about us in this country. Don't we wonder about what ten different medications at once are saying to each other while trying to go about their appointed rounds in our bodies and brains? Are they polite about interference with each other or does it come out as real road rage on the freeway?!