Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
At first I was skeptical that you had found THE dumbest idea for internet security, but you were right, it is. I sure hope this never takes effect.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I'd say putting MicroSoft in charge of developing the security model for the next generation of internet security slightly more moronic.

Of course they're hoping to own it anyways with that security chip they want to shove down people's throats.

---

As far as a license making things safer... :rolleyes:

This is Dr. William Faenza, he had a driver's license on August 30, 2003 -- after his stunt on August 31st in his little blue sports car, probably won't have a license for much longer.

But licensed idiots like this doctor do scare me.
While we normally don't concern ourselves with speeding arrests, we're making an exception in the case of one Dr. William Faenza. The 35-year-old New York City man was arrested Sunday after Pennsylvania cops clocked his 1997 Lamborghini Diablo going a remarkable 182 mph on State Road 443 (a 55 mph zone).

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Wow, people sometimes really do amaze me! Did this guy run though this great idea in his head before blurting it out of his dumb ass???...guess not :eek: :rolleyes:

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
are people really that stupid? i mean, why? people can pass it, but then do stupid stuff anyway. weather its on purpose or accidental.
yeesh:rolleyes:

tazo

macrumors 68040
LOL I wish I could sign my dad up for it...I have to walk him through sending and editting attachemnts in word, excel.....

Although for the majority of teens this would be highly unnecessary; same goes for majority of relatively young adults :)

stoid

macrumors 601
The only dumber security idea would be if the department of homeland security were to spend multi-millions on windows based computer systems! :p :p That would be hilariously scary if they made such a horrible error as to trust our security to those slices of swiss cheese!! :eek:

Oh, wait.... :(

*sobs uncontrolably while blubbing about the end of the civilized world*

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
As far as a license making things safer... :rolleyes:

This is Dr. William Faenza, he had a driver's license on August 30, 2003 -- after his stunt on August 31st in his little blue sports car, probably won't have a license for much longer.

But licensed idiots like this doctor do scare me. [/B]
I'm surprised that he could manage to get it that fast while drunk. I've heard that getting the shifter into the right gate is a PITA even while sober.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I am not surprised, in fact I figured someone would think of this.

You guys might not realize the paralyzing fear that is felt by most older computer users. You would think that the world has come to an end when they get sent a virus infected e-mail. And the scary thing is most of the people in power feel this way. So in their paranoid world, lets restrict access to the internet, so that bad people can't get us.

But it will never get anywhere unless the US cuts itself off from the internet and monitors all traffic in and out of the country. And I don't see that happening.

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
Originally posted by paulwhannel
driving, yes.

computers, no.

parenting, yes.

:rolleyes:

pnw

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Some people are definitely in serious need of parenting classes. More drivers ed wouldn't hurt either.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by spinner
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Some people are definitely in serious need of parenting classes. More drivers ed wouldn't hurt either.

Marriage classes wouldn't hurt either. We were required to take some by my church, and I can tell you that it helped alot.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
"The downside is everybody you know won't be able to have a computer anymore, and I like being able to send e-mail to friends," Schneier said.

At least the flaw was admitted. Don't think that this will ever fly. Probably is just one of those trial balloons coming from academia.

I do like the idea of automatic updates of the virus protection.

ibilly

macrumors regular
May 2, 2003
Boulder
i wonder if a permit will be required for six months, and would be promptly be snatched away upon infraction...

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by ibilly
i wonder if a permit will be required for six months, and would be promptly be snatched away upon infraction...

well, since there is no possible way this could happen, i don;'t know why we're talking about it.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
i guess i am getting in on this a little late BUT...

the link does not work anymore and i was wondering if anyone could give me some detail about whatever was proposed (though i gather it is some sort of internet license)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Ya, i can't get that link to work either, can anyone post a synopsis of the article?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.